Oriskany skill level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RamblinManta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys. Fairly new diver here. OW Certified last May and about to go for AOW in a week or so. Was wondering what the general consensus was regarding the skill level required to dive the Mighty O?

I plan to dive in May and use a dive master to accompany me and my dive buddy. I will have almost 20 total dives by then also. I'm very comfortable in the water and have been below 80 feet a few times. Is the O just too much for my level of experience?

Thanks in advance.

It depends....and that is really up to you. You can enjoy the O at depths 100' and above. The current varies but was nearly zero when I was there in June. You will be limited to recreational depths so 130'is the max. You need to be cautious if you go to that depth. You don't have much time at that depth and you will probably experience more significant narcosis. It's nothing to be afraid of but you need to be aware of it. A dive master is a good idea for your first dive at these depths.

Just like any dive it is important to plan your dive with your buddy and dive your plan. I say go for it and enjoy!

Needless to say, stay out of the wreck. Other than that, you'll be fine if you're comfortable and conditions aren't bad.

It really doesn't matter what skill you have. The whole thing is a hoax.

Say whatever you want. Sign up for whatever you want. On the day you are ready to dive, you will be notified that the weather is too bad, and no dives will be conducted.

Of course I am kidding. I think.

I have been in the immediate vicinity of Pensacola, ready to dive the Oriskany, for 11 days in the past four years. It hasn't happened yet. Bad weather.

I suppose it is possible that in the past years some dives were actually conducted there, but you will have to show me convincing evidence. I'm not totally sure there is even a wreck there. For me, it's kind of like the people who claim the moon landings were faked.

It really doesn't matter what skill you have. The whole thing is a hoax.

Say whatever you want. Sign up for whatever you want. On the day you are ready to dive, you will be notified that the weather is too bad, and no dives will be conducted.

Of course I am kidding. I think.

I have been in the immediate vicinity of Pensacola, ready to dive the Oriskany, for 11 days in the past four years. It hasn't happened yet. Bad weather.

I suppose it is possible that in the past years some dives were actually conducted there, but you will have to show me convincing evidence. I'm not totally sure there is even a wreck there. For me, it's kind of like the people who claim the moon landings were faked.

Wow that really sucks. My boat almost didn't go and we made it through some bad weather but we were the only boat out there!

There is nobody that can answer that question, but you. The Oriskany is a great wreck to go see, and you can see plenty without ever going deeper than 100 feet. The Oriskany is also a great deal more complicated to dive since it is quite a bit farther offshore than many divers ever venture.

You should feel comfortable setting up your gear, and diving into the ocean under a variety of conditions that can and will change with little or no notice (there is a skill in knowing when NOT to dive in to the ocean, too). Diving is inherently dangerous and you should learn everything you possibly can to make the most of each and every one of your dives. Do not rely on a DM to keep you safe, but heed their advice, and listen to what the experienced ones have to say.

Being a new diver myself, I am not being preachy; I am suggesting that you learn, to enjoy diving; so that you can enjoy diving that much more. Go with a good dive buddy, plan your dive thoroughly, and dive your plan; then, the dive master will be there to assist, not to insist.

And rest assured the Oriskany is out there, and although the weather can be a factor for getting out there, if the captains do not want to go out, they know best, and I would never suggest that I know better! I scheduled and got cancelled twice before getting out there on lucky number 3 (Veterans Day, 2012).

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons. I've seen people die on the Oriskany, and I've been in the water where people were drowning in 4 inches of water a few feet from me that I never knew about on a "simple" beach dive.

Most of the people killing themselves on the Oriskany (really ALL of the people) are technical divers diving beyond their training, or beyond the known limits of their equipment (one guy just f!@#$ed up and did something wrong with his rebreather, but there was other stuff going on there too. I have about two dozen dives on the Oriskany, with only one of them being in conditions I wouldn't reccomend to any diver (in fact someone on another boat died that day, and conditions were probably a contributing factor).

Recreational divers (you) screw up because they run out of gas, go into deco, or lose the line, and head towards Brownsville, Texas on the scenic route.

In many ways, an Oriskany dive is "easier" than most of the other offshore dives in the area. I say that because the visibility is usually better, and that keeps divers calmer. There's also at least three dive masters, and multiple instructors (from various boats) in the water at the same time, so there are more level heads around at any particular time.

Because of your experience, I think it's wise to bring your own DM.

Here are the cardinal rules for recreationally diving the Oriskany:

1. DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS! Plan properly, and make sure you're on the boat with 500psi or more. If that means you get a five-minute dive, then skip the O trip this year, dive some more, and get your SAC rate down. DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS! It happens, and it's a miracle no one has died yet. DO NOT RUN OUT OF GAS! You don't want to be the first dumbass that kills himself on the Oriskany because he couldn't watch his pressure gauge.
  2. Most Captains will not let you make a second dive if you run out of gas, and yes, they check gauges and computers.
  3. Don't go to 130ft or deeper. In fact, you probably shouldn't go deeper than 120 on your first, and 100 on your second.
  4. Don't go to 130ft or deeper. There's always that ******* (or three) who doesn't listen to Rule #3 You see the same stuff at 120 that you see at 130 (less actually deeper) but you go through your gas faster, and your NDL faster. Don't be the dumbass that thinks it's cooler at 130 than it is at 120. It isn't.
  5. There is literally nothing for you to see between 130 and the flight deck. I can take a photo of a parking lot, and show it to you. That's what the flight deck looks like.
  6. Don't go inside the ship. There are wires, lines, and sharp metal corners mean enough to shred your gear. Only trained folks should go inside the ship. Do you know what a fireworm is? I'm usually the #2 guy whenever I do a penetration of the Oriskany, and I ALWAYS see a fireworm float down from the ceiling (knocked loose by exhaled bubbles floating to the ceiling) If the 10,000 ways you can kill yourself inside the Oriskany aren't enough to scare you, then a fireworm landing on the back of your neck should be. There's plenty to see outside for twenty dives.
  7. Don't go into decompression. Most Captains will not allow you to do a second dive if you go into decompression. If you manage your gas properly, this shouldn't be a problem. Dive an appropriate mix, and get back on the boat with 500psi or more.
  8. Don't let go of the travel ropes. It may seem like there is no current, but you will be first humbled, and then embarrassed as you float towards Brownsville because you didn't listen to me and let go of the rope. A charter boat can't unhook and come get you, because they have a responsibility to the smarter divers in the water that didn't let go of the rope. I have personally been humbled and then embarrassed by letting go of the rope. Don't be a dumbass like me. Keep your hand on the rope from the boat to the boat and back again. DO NOT LET GO OF THE ROPE, is basically what I'm saying ;-)

Here are suggestions for diving the Oriskany recreationally:

• Get a Nitrox cert, and plan an appropriate mix.
  • Plan for a max depth of 120 or less for the first dive, and 100 or less on the second dive. You'll see TONS of wreck this way, and it's easy to stay within NDL for both dives if you're careful and plan the right mix.
  • You can see tons of interesting things at the top of the wreck (about 85ft). If you have some time and gas to burn, but want to stay close to the upline, you can spend a few minutes at the top of the wreck. You can usually spy a few octopuses, blue chromis, queen angels, sometimes a rock beauty, and other interesting critters.
  • Buy or rent a high volume tank. Unless you're a really big guy, with a really terrible SAC, you should be fine with an HP100 or LP95. This gives you a little extra bottom time, but you have to watch NDL a little closer.
  • Get a good night's sleep the night before, and avoid alcohol. Lack of sleep and alcohol consumption before a dive day seem to contribute to problems.
  • Many charters offer fresh fruit, snacks, even lunch. Keep this in mind when choosing a charter (some of the lunches are pretty good).
  • Tip your crew. Some are better than others, but 10% is standard. Most crew members work for tips and have five kids to feed ;-)
  • Don't show up late. EVERYBODY hates those guys. Literally. You're inconveniencing EVERYONE on the boat, from the Captain, who may have a second charter for the day, to the diver next to you, who may have a family vacation planned around the dives. Don't be a D!#%, Don't be late.

I should also add that you should do it as long as you feel comfortable with the skills that you have learned. It's an awesome dive and you will want to go back. I was blessed with 3 bullsharks(hetland informed me on another thread that they were probably another type but I wouldn't know). One was significantly larger but they didn't hang around long. On the first dive I was torn between the actually boat and the Marine life. We went down to 130 so it was a fairly short dive. The second dive was much more relaxed and I had time to really take it all in. I had just returned from some fabulous dives in Kauai and I was concerned that the Oriskany was going to disappoint. It did NOT. I can't wait to go back this summer.

While we are on the topic of the Big O, how deep is it to the screws?

While we are on the topic of the Big O, how deep is it to the screws?

About 215, but there's usually a pretty dense silt cloud well before you get to them (or so I am told). This complicated the recovery they made in 2011, and is the reason you never see any photographs of the screws. Even on the leeward side it's typically silt-city.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom