Oriskany skill level

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It really doesn't matter what skill you have. The whole thing is a hoax.

Say whatever you want. Sign up for whatever you want. On the day you are ready to dive, you will be notified that the weather is too bad, and no dives will be conducted.

Of course I am kidding. I think.

I have been in the immediate vicinity of Pensacola, ready to dive the Oriskany, for 11 days in the past four years. It hasn't happened yet. Bad weather.

I suppose it is possible that in the past years some dives were actually conducted there, but you will have to show me convincing evidence. I'm not totally sure there is even a wreck there. For me, it's kind of like the people who claim the moon landings were faked.

LOL..I have been blown out by wind 3 times now my self and are yet to dive it!

The dive is a great time but I was blown out the one day and barely was able to go the second day. Reports were horrible but once we got out there it was a sheet of glass.

Current was a bit strong on the way up though which is common I was told. If you are diving two dives with single tanks you will need to manage your deco carefully.

You guys got me thinking about the importance of the boat you charter. I went out with Down Under who has a 40' Newton and it was a rough day for half the trip. However, once we got there we were the ONLY boat there! The other smaller boats cancelled. I am going back in June and July and was going to set out of Pensacola but I am thinking about using Down Under just for this reason. Do you think it makes much difference?

You guys got me thinking about the importance of the boat you charter. I went out with Down Under who has a 40' Newton and it was a rough day for half the trip. However, once we got there we were the ONLY boat there! The other smaller boats cancelled. I am going back in June and July and was going to set out of Pensacola but I am thinking about using Down Under just for this reason. Do you think it makes much difference?

It's a crapshoot. I don't know any captains in our area that go out in forecast 3+ft seas. 1-2 1-3, maybe 2-3, but that's the upper limit. Captains want to run, otherwise they're not making money. If a captain cancels a trip because the forecast is iffy, and then things turn out to be good, he'll call everyone on the list to try to get the trip going again, but if he can't get enough of those people, the trip doesn't run.

Generally, if you're worried about iffy weather, you're probably better off with a 6-pack, as they're faster than the bigger boats, and they'll run with fewer divers, so they're more flexible with their schedules. You'll trade the comfort of a bigger boat for the time you save making it out there and back at a faster speed.

If you're in Pensacola and you're looking for a big boat, you can check out Capt. Douglas at Charter Boat H2O Below - Scuba dive the USS Oriskany He mostly runs to the Oriskany, but he does inshore and combo trips too. Another plus with using Capt. Douglas, is that there are 3 other operations (all six-packs) that launch from the same marina, so if one Captain cancels, you have a better chance of jumping on another dive boat. They're all solid operations, with good captains and reputations.

My personal favorites:
Charter Boat H2O Below - Scuba dive the USS Oriskany 36ft Newton
Niuhi Dive Charters - Pensacola Scuba Diving Adventures 6-pack Cat

Other good ops in the same marina:
Dr Dive Pensacola, FL - Home of the USS Oriskany 6-pack Cat
Pensacola SCUBA Diving Charter Boat Dive the USS Oriskany Spearfishing Artificial Reef 6-pack Cat

The trip was supposed to be today and tomorrow but got cancelled due to weather. LDS said there were up to 8 ft seas around noon.

H2O Below is the preferred favorite of our dive group out of Jackson, MS. We've been diving with Captain Douglas for several years now and are 100%++ satisfied.

Skill level for diving "The O": Comfortable in deeper environments (90-115 ft minimum). Self awareness with respect to air, depth and bottomtime. Experience in possible moderate current environment. Comfortable with longer boat rides (almost two hours out to site) and I will not go back on a six pack ever again.....

It's a great dive but I would not make it the first dive of your season. Be safe and enjoy it!!

Back
Top Bottom