Oriskany - Looking for buddies December 26-29, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmassey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’m going to be in the area (High Springs) and thought I might try to head over to the Panhandle to dive the Oriskny. I’m thinking about two trips somewhere within December 26-29, ideally on two consecutive days. Anyone else interested in joining up to make sure the boat runs?

I called Niuhi Dive Charters and asked a few preliminary questions. They seem well recommended, though I’m open to other options as well. I’m a technical diver. For my first trip I was thinking I would keep it around recreational depths, focusing on the flag bridge and up. I’ll be diving large doubles and would prefer to do one long deco dive, but if there were only recreational divers onboard I could do two dives. For me, there *will* be penetration… :) For the second trip I would like to hit the hangar bay, which is a full-up Trimix dive for me. I will probably have a technical guide on that dive, and depending on the support I get, I may do so on the first trip, too.

I would prefer the afternoon on Sunday the 26 and the morning of the 27th, but if there is enough support, the other days could work. Afternoon on the first trip would be better for me: I would be able to drive out that morning.

I’m not looking to try to manage a dive trip here: you would sign up with the shop directly. I’m just trying to drum up interest to create a trip that runs for all of us. You can dive your own dive as well: I’m not specifically looking for a buddy, though I *always* prefer diving with a buddy with sufficient skills and experience for the plan.

Anyone interested?

Taking a DPV?

The Oriskany is 300m long. That’s 6 minutes at cruise speed to get from one end to the other. Unless you get right on target, you may burn up a lot of gas just getting to your start point.

I’ve planned two dives with Doug from H20 Below. Definitely my first choice. He’s well connected to the Coast Guard and the chamber operators.

I will be in the area. Not sure what the exact plans are yet. I think we will be on OC this trip.

Taking a DPV?

The Oriskany is 300m long. That’s 6 minutes at cruise speed to get from one end to the other. Unless you get right on target, you may burn up a lot of gas just getting to your start point.

I’ve planned two dives with Doug from H20 Below. Definitely my first choice. He’s well connected to the Coast Guard and the chamber operators.

I’m theoretically Tech DPV certified, but a DPV was not in my plans. I’m not looking to go end to end: I’m OK with just part. Given it’s my first time, it didn’t seem that it would be that hard to find a part I hadn‘t seen yet. I’ll have to get some more information to see if my thoughts match reality.

I will be in the area. Not sure what the exact plans are yet. I think we will be on OC this trip.
So what do I have to do to get you to make definite plans? :) I’m OK with CCR buddies with sufficient bailout — the real question is, are CCR buddies OK with me? :) And like I said, being on the boat does not mean we need to dive together.

I’m interested.

Can’t make the 26 Dec date.

27 and 28 Dec are good. May do both days - first day for recce, second day for penetration.

I‘d definitely be on trimix and with a scooter If I do one or both days.

So what do I have to do to get you to make definite plans? :) I’m OK with CCR buddies with sufficient bailout — the real question is, are CCR buddies OK with me? :) And like I said, being on the boat does not mean we need to dive together.
It will be an OC trip, we are spending a week cave diving on OC. I'm not loading doubles, bailouts, scooters, and breathers. Part of my trip is a class, let me get those dates firmed up.

It will be an OC trip, we are spending a week cave diving on OC. I'm not loading doubles, bailouts, scooters, and breathers. Part of my trip is a class, let me get those dates firmed up.
I certainly wasn’t asking you or anyone to dive CCR. Seeing as you had said it was [probably] CCR my statement was somewhat irrelevant; my point was that either would be fine with me.

Let me know if anything works.

@tmassey and @Tracy

My BlackTip flooded but I’m getting after repair now.

If I can’t get it fixed in time, I’ll explore renting a DPV but more than likely I’d be off this dive. Not really enthused to dive a 300m long vessel without a DPV.

If I do get my DPV repaired, on the first day I intend to tie off a strobe and racetrack the vessel to get to know her and how she lays and identify primary and alternate penetration sites with limited penetration for familiarization only.

Second day = deliberate penetration.

I’m good with doing this solo if no one else is interested in that plan.

I’ll be on a standard trimix blend (with a cave fill) with 50% and 100% in AL40s for decompression on both days.

Planning on 35 minutes of BT at 55m with a total run time of 87-96 minutes depending on Trimix blend.

That BT allows for myself or another diver to lose a deco gas and still complete the schedule (unless you’re a huffer-n-puffer).

50/80 for GFs.

I haven't ignored this: I've had a pile of non-diving stuff that's got to be put away before I can more fully turn my attention to my trip.

Monday the 27th and Tuesday the 28th work for me. But when will you have an idea about your DPV?

I haven't called H2OBelow, and their website doesn't have as much detail as I'd like (e.g. departure times). They're also a touch more expensive (they charge extra for tech dives and DPV's), and I don't see anything about tech guides or such. Their boat does seem a bit bigger, though.

Profiles: I'd probably stay to 40m on the first dive with 45 minute bottom time, and 55m on the second with 35 min bottom time. 85 and 95 minute runtimes with 50 and O2. I'll have an 80 of 50 and 2 x 40 of O2. But if you're on a DPV, you won't want to dive with me! :)

Let me know about the DPV repair timeline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom