Oriskany Dive Report - 7/8/2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This was an interesting weekend to say the least. We lucked out on a seat to the Oriskany with Scuba Shack on Saturday morning. We had to be at the boat by six so Eileen put us onto a reasonable hotel in Pensacola. The Seville Inn is right on Highway 98 (Garden Street). The Seville is one, maybe two, steps above the Holiday Lodge, but hey, it had a bed, a bathroom, and a TV. What more could one ask for in an eight hour stay. Rates were about $78. Dinner at McGuire’s and an Irish Wake made for a relaxing night.

We met at Scuba Shack on Saturday morning and checking in was a breeze. Just zip the old card and bring out a cart to carry all your stuff to the boat. There is something to be said about convenience. Gene and Eileen run a great operation and the Wet Dream is a roomy and comfortable boat.

The internet called the seas one to three but it was a bit more sporting that that. We traveled into the wind with at least four and sometimes five footers in some strange sets. It seemed the seas were dead calm for a time and then some big rollers made the next few minutes very exciting. When she was new the Wet Dream would do about 25 knots but she’s getting old like us all and Gene keeps her to 15 or so knots now so the trip out was right at two hours.

There was a slight surface current but on the bottom all was calm and relatively clear. The visibility wasn’t as wide open as some of the pictures I’ve seen but the thing is so big how a diver can’t possibly know how far that you’re really looking. There is no way that even the island can be seen in a few dives. We used a custom mix of 26 percent that gave us more time and sufficient MOD to see the flight deck. We looked around for a couple of minutes before heading slowly back to the bridge. The algae is already thick and the fishes and crabs abundant. There was a huge crop of juvenile Orange Spotted Filefish. Really cute blennies and some very huge pelagics have already taken up home.

Aside from the overwhelming size, I guess the wreck is exciting because it still has paint on it. Years from now we will be able to say, “Yeah, we dove her when the paint was still fresh.” Old Glory still tops her mast and brings chills at the sight of the stars and stripes ruffling in the current.

When I slowly climbed the ladder the deck hand asked me if we were all right. “Heck no,” we said, “We had to come up!” All-in-all the Big O is sensory overload and worth whatever it costs or whatever it takes to see her! To top it all off Cathy had hand cranked ice cream waiting on the boat.

Before the second dive Gene came around and told us that we had a possible dive accident and we needed to pull hook and start in. I did what I was supposed to do and stayed out of the way so I don’t know much about the accident. The only thing that I will say is that the crew and the Coasties did an outstanding and professional job in tending to and evacuating the injured diver. Hats off to the crew of the Wet Dream and to the Coast Guard for a job well done! The only downside was that one of the young Coasties was a Bammer (University of Alabama) fan. Bless his heart!

The trip back in was on a trailing sea, like I wish all my life’s journeys could be.

The whole experience with Scuba Shack was outstanding. They have a friendly and knowledgeable staff, a nice and roomy boat, and they don’t tolerate whining. We started diving with them back in the 80s; we liked them then and we like them now. Under the circumstances we wouldn’t have asked for a refund for the unused dive but Eileen stopped us on the way out and asked for our card so she could credit our account.

Thanks Scuba Shack for an absolutely fantastic experience!

Thanks for the great report Tom, I'm still looking to get my butt up on that dive site. Its looking like it'll have to wait another month though. I hope the diver made it out OK, I read on another thread that someone got bent on the Wet Dream.

A newspaper article just released by Pensacola News Journal this weekend, backing up claims that the Oriskany will jumpstart the economy in P'Cola, noted nobody has been in a diving accident on the "Big O" just yet - guess they spoke a bit too soon.

I've now been on the "O" six times. I've also been on the Speigel, Benwood, Theo's, etc. LOOVVVVEEEE WRECKS!!! Anyway I dove it once with Dive Pros out of Pensacola. They are great. I've also been out with Down Under out of Gulf Shores, Alabama 251-968-DIVE and Underwater Works Fairhope Alabama 251-928-5550. Both Underwater Works and Dive Pros are six pack boats, which is nicer if the weather is good. But Down Under is a 14 diver boat and they can make it out the 20+ miles whatever the weather. It is worth the 1 1/2 hour ride to get out there (in good weather). I've got great pictures but am not smart enough to figure out now to add them to this message. Will answer any questions, if anyone has any.

Great report, Tom. I want to dive her someday. That's very interesting they left the flag on. Wow.

seadoggirl:
I've now been on the "O" six times. I've also been on the Speigel, Benwood, Theo's, etc. LOOVVVVEEEE WRECKS!!! Anyway I dove it once with Dive Pros out of Pensacola. They are great. I've also been out with Down Under out of Gulf Shores, Alabama 251-968-DIVE and Underwater Works Fairhope Alabama 251-928-5550. Both Underwater Works and Dive Pros are six pack boats, which is nicer if the weather is good. But Down Under is a 14 diver boat and they can make it out the 20+ miles whatever the weather. It is worth the 1 1/2 hour ride to get out there (in good weather). I've got great pictures but am not smart enough to figure out now to add them to this message. Will answer any questions, if anyone has any.
what's the current and vis typically like?
temps at depth?
what kind of fish are starting to move in?

seadoggirl:
Will answer any questions, if anyone has any.

I'm at Underwater Works alot, do I know you? My name is Mat Bull, just curious.

bennedc:
Great report, Tom. I want to dive her someday. That's very interesting they left the flag on. Wow.

The flag wasn't there when it sank. It was right before the 4th I believe.

LiteHedded:
what's the current and vis typically like?
temps at depth?
what kind of fish are starting to move in?

I've done 2 trips so far. Current ranges from stiff to non-existent.
Temp at the flight deck was 81.

There's tons of bait fish, jacks, jeuvenile snappers, barracudas, crabs, jellyfish, remoras and the occasional shark.

Dive Pros placed the flag on the ship.

Hey Matt

Donna Calhoun here! I dove with a friend of yours "Hoss" from Georgia last weekend. He seems like a great guy. See ya soon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom