Oriskany depths

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bludvr

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I made a survey dive on the Oriskany Sunday, Sept 7th to record some info post storm to see if Gustav had any effect on her position and depth.
It appears the Mighty "O" has listed to starboard slightly and subsided some.
Top of structure is now at 84 fsw, with the flight deck at 145-150 fsw.
More to follow.........
Capt. Dave
Pensacola SCUBA Diving Charter Boat Dive the USS Oriskany Spearfishing Artificial Reef

Walter it's okay. I'll hold your hand if your scared!

On the MBT/H2OBelow trip on 6-Sep-2008. The Flight deck just forward of the "Island" measured 45.1m (148ft) on my Nitek Duo set to "sea" and 44.8m (147ft) on my Suunto Mosquito (sitting a couple inches higher on my forearm).

She appears to have been settled in about 11ft by Gustav.

-Rob

Made it out with Capt. Dave today. Top of the structure is 84-85 ft, Nav Bridge is 125', Flag Bridge is 135', Flight Control Bridge is 105' at the middle of the door, Flight Deck is 150'. The list to starboard is measurable, but not really visible to the naked eye. There are some steel plates dislodged from the outside of the superstructure, making for some new and interesting openings in the superstructure. Generally she's in good shape, none the worse for wear, and ready for the next group of intrepid divers to explore her. Capt. Dave may have additional observations when he gets a chance to make a report.

See you this weekend.

Capt. Jim
www.drdive.com

How was the visibility looking????????

PS** Thanks for quick update on things. I don't imagine it was a very nice ride out there today.

Last edited:
The H2O Below is sending a crew out tomorrow to do a full assessment also. I'll post as soon as we know.

Thanks

Vis was 30 - 40 ft on top of the island. Murky on top, then better on the top of the structure, then murkier on the flight deck, maybe 15 ft. Should start settling out as the weather calms.

New report in from the H2O Below - The Oriskany was not noticeably affected by hurricane Ike. Depths as recorded by 5 different gauges remain approximately 10 feet deeper than they were before Gustav.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom