Oregon woman dies in Washington diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I heard, they were severely distracted by an octopus.

I just recently read a report of a diver death on a 350 foot dive, where TWO people ran out of gas chasing a rare fish.

No matter how exciting or fun something is, we just CAN'T lose track of our breathing gas supply.

Pressure gauges may also be inaccurate. It is good to get a sanity check on this by having the LDS do a pressure check, and then comparing that to your own gauge.
Pressure gauge errors are usually non-linear, they can be dead on at 3000 psi and not worth squat at 500.

From what I heard, they were severely distracted by an octopus.

I just recently read a report of a diver death on a 350 foot dive, where TWO people ran out of gas chasing a rare fish.

No matter how exciting or fun something is, we just CAN'T lose track of our breathing gas supply.

What tragedy. If this is the same couple that you reported on previously, at 100' they may have been narced.

Regardless, what a shame.

Pressure gauge errors are usually non-linear, they can be dead on at 3000 psi and not worth squat at 500.

Well, then check em at both ends! :D

I have two SPG's and an AI computer. My computer seems more accurate, but my SPG's are generally within 100 psi of one another, and my computer. I don't generally surface at less than 500psi, and it's often more in the 100psi range. IMO gas is too important to be blind on, so getting some sanity check on the PSI IMO is prudent.

It is also a good idea to have a buddy that is a better breather, or is wearing doubles! I breath well, so I generally have more gas than most, but my doubles diving buddies are a nice reassurance, at least on the first couple of dives.

Well, then check em at both ends! :D

I have two SPG's and an AI computer. My computer seems more accurate, but my SPG's are generally within 100 psi of one another, and my computer. I don't generally surface at less than 500psi, and it's often more in the 100psi range. IMO gas is too important to be blind on, so getting some sanity check on the PSI IMO is prudent.
I really don't care about 3,000, or 2,500, I check them at 2,000 and then every 500 down to 500, then every 100 on down. I mark the error on the face.

The problem with a lot of weight-integrated BCDs is that they were not designed with adequate capacity for cold-water diving. Add to that the habit of newer divers to overweight because they "can't get down", and you have some BCD designs out there that won't break away like they're supposed to.

I don't know if this was the case with this woman ... I have no knowledge of what type of BCD she was using. But I DO know it was the case with the previous accident. His weight pockets were stuffed so full ... and he was so overweighted ... that they removed his BCD in order to bring him to the surface ... and even when completely filled the BCD was not floatable.

Divers ... new divers in particular ... need to be aware of the design specifications of the BCD and not overstuff the weight pockets ... which is quite easy to do with soft weights. Many designs are meant to slide out, and once on your torso ... especially if you've got some air filling the wraparound air cell ... they simply won't come out.... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've never heard this before, but to be honest, I don't use weight integrated BC's. I learned another way to kill yourself while scuba diving today. Thanks!

In point of fact diving as a sport might never have developed since everything that happened up until NAUI (Scripps, Navy, LA County) was all governmental in one way or another. Not to mention the government monies spent on table reseach and gear development and testing. You'd never have seen any sort of rebreather or dive tables or dive computer if it weren't for the government.
Last I checked, the Navy got started in diving for non-recreational purposes.

Get real.

In point of fact diving as a sport might never have developed since everything that happened up until NAUI (Scripps, Navy, LA County) was all governmental in one way or another.

Not to mention the government monies spent on table reseach and gear development and testing. You'd never have seen any sort of rebreather or dive tables or dive computer if it weren't for the government.

No one would ever be diving at Pt. Lobos if the government had not kept it in the public domain and none of the National Parks and such would be there either.

And there wouldn't be an Internet to discuss diving on if it wasn't for the government.

Oh ... I think LOTS of people would disagree with that statement.
I'm sure they would. These days, people think government should be intimately involved in every aspect of their lives.

Never mind that the LA County scuba program has trained more than a quarter-million divers over the past 55 years ... and forget that they offer a higher quality program than just about anybody.
I agree. Completely irrelevant to my comment about the function of government.

But if you don't think the function of government should be to conduct sporting or recreation programs of any kind ... what do you suppose the reaction would be if all the municipalities around the country just suddenly announced that they're shutting down all their parks, ball fields, skating rinks and swimming pools?
My reaction would be one of celebration. However, I imagine that all of the people who enjoy having their recreational activities subsidized by others would be greatly annoyed.

The problem with a lot of weight-integrated BCDs is that they were not designed with adequate capacity for cold-water diving. Add to that the habit of newer divers to overweight because they "can't get down", and you have some BCD designs out there that won't break away like they're supposed to.

I don't know if this was the case with this woman ... I have no knowledge of what type of BCD she was using.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is one thing I like about Zeagle's rip cord design. Put the weight in the pocket, and it will drop with a simple tug. The entire bottom of the pocket just opens up. Not so good if one drops weight at depth, but I just don't see a scenario where that needs to happen.

I've not seen a weight integrated pocket that allows one to put more weight in than designed. Generally if you overfill the pocket, you can not shove it into the opening. Maybe some idiots have forced it to the point where it will. At that point consider it non-ditch able weight.

These divers must have been over weighted for sure. With an empty tank, one would assume some positive buoyancy there, unless they were diving steel. If diving steel, it's only a couple of lbs negative. I have no issue holding a surface stop at the end of the dive with NO air in my drysuit, or BC, and just a light kick.

Anyone have a clue as to the experience of these divers?

Back
Top Bottom