Oregon woman dies in Washington diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff, the following comments are based on both observation and speculation ... so take them for what they're worth. But I WOULD like everyone who's using integrated BCDs to consider them ...

I live in the area where this accident occurred. A few months ago we had another fatality where a reasonably new diver lost his life because he ran out of air and was unable to ditch his weights ... when they found his body on the bottom the searchers were also unable to ditch his weights ... they were jammed in too tightly to allow the release mechanisms to function properly.

The problem with a lot of weight-integrated BCDs is that they were not designed with adequate capacity for cold-water diving. Add to that the habit of newer divers to overweight because they "can't get down", and you have some BCD designs out there that won't break away like they're supposed to.

I don't know if this was the case with this woman ... I have no knowledge of what type of BCD she was using. But I DO know it was the case with the previous accident. His weight pockets were stuffed so full ... and he was so overweighted ... that they removed his BCD in order to bring him to the surface ... and even when completely filled the BCD was not floatable.

Divers ... new divers in particular ... need to be aware of the design specifications of the BCD and not overstuff the weight pockets ... which is quite easy to do with soft weights. Many designs are meant to slide out, and once on your torso ... especially if you've got some air filling the wraparound air cell ... they simply won't come out.

Any time I hear a story of someone being unable to drop their weights, the things that come to my mind are that they're overweighted, and have probably overmaxed the capacity of their BCD weight pockets. Newer cold water divers sometimes do this to compensate for a skill set they haven't had the opportunity to develop yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I faced a similar problem due to the amount of weight I needed. I ended up getting a weight belt with pouches for the soft weights. Now I have some weight in the BC's drop pouches and some weight on the belt. The plus side is that my BC is a lot lighter and easier to put on now and if I ever needed to drop weight at depth I have more control over how much to drop.

I faced a similar problem due to the amount of weight I needed. I ended up getting a weight belt with pouches for the soft weights. Now I have some weight in the BC's drop pouches and some weight on the belt. The plus side is that my BC is a lot lighter and easier to put on now and if I ever needed to drop weight at depth I have more control over how much to drop.

This is a good thread with respect for the deceased and the learning comments that follow.

Like you Mike, I spread the weight around. 4lbs on the tank band, 5lbs in each BC pocket, and 8 lbs on my weight belt. Helps keep be in proper trim and offers options for ditching.

I learned to dive before auto inflation; orally inflating my BC is just habit. This thread reminds me to make it even more of a habit.

NAUI does this ... but I suspect you knew that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Your suspicion is correct. In fact, if you follow PADI's argument concerning "mastery" of a skill and it's consequences, first of all the victim should have been able to drop her belt and orally inflate her BC (both "mastered" skills) and if diver rescue had been an element of the buddy's course, he should have been able to save her.
I wish the woman's family my sincerest condolences. I hope we will all be mindful of the fact that she lost her life, and that her family may be on this board and not flood this thread with rhetoric.
As do we all; but this is not the condolence thread; this is the tread for discussing the accident, its possible causes, and the ways in which future occurrences may be avoided.
Because the dive buddy was also low on air ... one story said he only had 400 psi when they began their ascent. By the time he got to the surface, he'd have been so low that it would've been a very poor call indeed to go back down.

One thing you will learn in Rescue class is that while helping out another diver you should not put yourself in a position to become another victim.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
What you are saying is, in theory, the basis for any sensible rescue attempt. But the victim was in 20 feet of water ... an adequately trained diver should have been able, in my opinion, to free dive down 20 feet and recover an inert diver, and 400 psi is more than enough for a quick bounce to 20 feet. Granted that viability could effect this.

I like to use my SS BP at 6 pounds it reduces te needed weight in my harness to a manageable amount. Also remember to be sure your weight is removable (belt outside of any straps, harness with droppable pockets free of any encumberments, same with weight pouchs on BCDs.

This could have been prevented by simply following the rule of thirds or establishing and maintaining a responsible turn pressure.

Mike

And it could have been avoided if they would have stayed out of the water.
1/3's, 1/2's, all usabale.... the plan doesnt really matter as long as its appropriate for the site and YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ YOUR GUAGES!

The best plan on earth means nothing when you don't check that your following it.

1/3's, 1/2's, all usabale.... the plan doesnt really matter as long as its appropriate for the site and YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ YOUR GUAGES!

The best plan on earth means nothing when you don't check that your following it.
You are right. I'd add that part of learning the importance of taking the time to read your gauges is having an understanding of how your air consumption varies with both depth and conditions.

What you are saying is, in theory, the basis for any sensible rescue attempt. But the victim was in 20 feet of water ... an adequately trained diver should have been able, in my opinion, to free dive down 20 feet and recover an inert diver, and 400 psi is more than enough for a quick bounce to 20 feet. Granted that viability could effect this.
What I am saying is that the dive buddy reported having 400 psi when they began their ascent (according to another news report on the accident). He makes no mention of how much he had by the time they surfaced ... and for all I know they might BOTH have been out of air by then.

Also, FWIW ... this site is notorious for bad visibility. Last time I was there it was maybe 3 to 5 feet. Even in 20 feet of water, there's no guarantee of finding someone quickly.

Good to see you on the board, Wayne ... haven't noticed you around for a while.

You are quite right ... there's been a lively discussion on our local board over how gas management skills could've prevented this accident. But if one follows what's been reported, it sounds to me like simply following the basic protocols that EVERYBODY teaches in OW class would've prevented this accident. Gas management skills are only as good as the willingness of the diver involved to use them.

You are right. I'd add that part of learning the importance of taking the time to read your gauges is having an understanding of how your air consumption varies with both depth and conditions.

... and all this knowledge is worthless if the diver doesn't develop good habits ... and those start with a fundamental understanding of WHY what they're taught in OW class is important.

Honestly, nobody really knows what happened except ... perhaps ... the dive buddy. It's possible that this woman had other issues that we don't know about. What we DO know is that ... gas management issues aside ... she made it safely to the surface. Once there, she was unable ... for reasons we can only speculate ... to remain there.

As is the case in most diving accidents, this accident was the result of a chain of things done wrong. Had any one of those things been corrected by simply following the basic protocols taught in OW class, then quite likely the fatal results of the accident would've been avoided.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jeff, the following comments are based on both observation and speculation ... so take them for what they're worth. But I WOULD like everyone who's using integrated BCDs to consider them ...

I live in the area where this accident occurred. A few months ago we had another fatality where a reasonably new diver lost his life because he ran out of air and was unable to ditch his weights ... when they found his body on the bottom the searchers were also unable to ditch his weights ... they were jammed in too tightly to allow the release mechanisms to function properly.

The problem with a lot of weight-integrated BCDs is that they were not designed with adequate capacity for cold-water diving. Add to that the habit of newer divers to overweight because they "can't get down", and you have some BCD designs out there that won't break away like they're supposed to.

I don't know if this was the case with this woman ... I have no knowledge of what type of BCD she was using. But I DO know it was the case with the previous accident. His weight pockets were stuffed so full ... and he was so overweighted ... that they removed his BCD in order to bring him to the surface ... and even when completely filled the BCD was not floatable.

Divers ... new divers in particular ... need to be aware of the design specifications of the BCD and not overstuff the weight pockets ... which is quite easy to do with soft weights. Many designs are meant to slide out, and once on your torso ... especially if you've got some air filling the wraparound air cell ... they simply won't come out.

Any time I hear a story of someone being unable to drop their weights, the things that come to my mind are that they're overweighted, and have probably overmaxed the capacity of their BCD weight pockets. Newer cold water divers sometimes do this to compensate for a skill set they haven't had the opportunity to develop yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That is just horrifying. Never heard of this before and certainly never thought of it.

Always bought hard weights because it was suggested by my LDS that they were easier to put in. Never thought about how easy to take out.

Replied with quote because I thought it was a pretty important post.

Oral inflation. Cold water, means the diver was wearing thick gloves and you have to be able to cover the purge area to effectively inflate. Report says conditions on surface were rough, along with panic, exhaustion - these things will make oral inflation extremely tough.

For me, I would go for dumping the weights first. And I have made-up my mind in advance that if I am ever in trouble - that will be my first move. And -- I am stronger at quickly removing my right side over my left, so I go there first.

When I was a new diver up to about my first 100 dives, I made myself practice both of these skills 50 times with all the weight, thick gloves on and my eyes closed before I went on any dive trip. Even without a pool, these exercises can be valuable. They can point you to problems with your set-up, especially the distribution of weight. Spreading it around is recommended because if you dump all of your weight, you risk an uncontrolled ascent. I still practice this, but more like 5 times instead of 50 - now I have a pool and I practice all my skills regularly.

Oral inflation. Cold water, means the diver was wearing thick gloves and you have to be able to cover the purge area to effectively inflate.
Am I missing something? All I have to do is out my mouth around the inflator mouthpiece, push the button and blow.
Report says conditions on surface were rough, along with panic, exhaustion - these things will make oral inflation extremely tough.
Right you are there.
For me, I would go for dumping the weights first. And I have made-up my mind in advance that if I am ever in trouble - that will be my first move. And -- I am stronger at quickly removing my right side over my left, so I go there first.
Planning in advance is most of the battle. Good going.
O
When I was a new diver up to about my first 100 dives, I made myself practice both of these skills 50 times with all the weight, thick gloves on and my eyes closed before I went on any dive trip. Even without a pool, these exercises can be valuable. They can point you to problems with your set-up, especially the distribution of weight. Spreading it around is recommended because if you dump all of your weight, you risk an uncontrolled ascent. I still practice this, but more like 5 times instead of 50 - now I have a pool and I practice all my skills regularly.
If more people had more practive in the pool with the kinds of gloves they will wear when they dive many problems might be avoided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom