Oregon woman dies in Washington diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, people are talking about checking their gauges 4 to 5 times in a dive?! I'm checking about every couple minutes. I'm gauging what I have, how fast it's going and how long I have.

As you develop experience, you'll find you just don't need to check it that often.

Once in the water (after predive), I check my gas

1. When I reach max depth
2. About 10 minutes later to verify usage is about what I expect
3. About the time I am prepared to turn the dive.

If I am at a new site, I may check it at the half hour mark. And I will usually check when I am about to change tanks or back on the surface so I can put my ending pressure in the log.

Not to start an AI vs non AI debate in this thread......but, one of the nice things about an AI computer is that it makes it easy to check gas and depth all in one shot.

Presumably, even if one does not feel the need to check gas on a constant basis, one is still checking one's depth or NDL status in something resembling a periodic basis (but I suppose maybe not - I dunno what makes some people on here tick). So, if one is checking depth or NDL status every, say, 2-X minutes or whatever, it's pretty easy to check gas in the process, with no extra effort at all.

So.....as an AI computer user, barring malfunction, I just can't understand how anyone could possibly be surprised by suddenly discovering that they are low on air - unless they just don't care about their gas, depth, or NDL - and if that's the case, then frankly, they're just an accident waiting to happen - it's just a matter of when it does.

My take is that if someone's not bothering to check their air pressure, they're probably not checking much of anything else either ... after all, you can survive going into deco.

More equipment doesn't usually solve an awareness problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not to start an AI vs non AI debate in this thread......but, one of the nice things about an AI computer is that it makes it easy to check gas and depth all in one shot.

True.

Presumably, even if one does not feel the need to check gas on a constant basis, one is still checking one's depth or NDL status in something resembling a periodic basis (but I suppose maybe not - I dunno what makes some people on here tick). So, if one is checking depth or NDL status every, say, 2-X minutes or whatever, it's pretty easy to check gas in the process, with no extra effort at all.

I tend to check my NDL status before going into the water. I know that others don't do that. However, when you actually plan your dives, you get to dive according to your watch, and don't have to be a slave to the SPG or the dive computer.

I don't do much wall diving, so that would probably be different, but on a wreck I am usually either near the bottom or the deck so I have a pretty darn good idea of my depth. Same with a reef, or in the cave. You know the bottom depths before you ever get wet. When the watch says it's time to go, it's TIME TO GO.

So.....as an AI computer user, barring malfunction, I just can't understand how anyone could possibly be surprised by suddenly discovering that they are low on air - unless they just don't care about their gas, depth, or NDL - and if that's the case, then frankly, they're just an accident waiting to happen - it's just a matter of when it does.

My thoughts exactly. But AI or not doesn't really matter. If your dive is well planned BEFORE getting in the water, you are diving to the clock. If your dive is unplanned but observing gas rules, you are diving based on SPG. If you consider neither, then you are diving according to your dive computer. If you employ none of these, then you are diving according to Murphy's Law.

Thre is one word in the article that I don't believe was mentioned in any of the posts in this thread or the other thread in the new diver section--PANIC.

It reminded me of an article I read recently in which a diver died in an OOA situation. In this case, the diver who died (Bill McFaden) was a highly skilled, highly experienced, highly trained, and heavily practiced cave diver. Both of the divers who tried to save him had similar or even greater skills and experience. One of them, the one writing the article, is, in fact, quite famous--Bill Gavin. According to Gavin, the true reason for McFaden's death was that he was in so much panic in his OOA situation that he failed to perform one of the most basic skills required of a dry suit diver--venting the dry suit upon ascent.

Unless you want to read an ugly pitched battle between some strong personalities, I suggest you scroll down to the second part of the article until you see the name Bill McFaden to read the details.

Setting it straight - The Deco Stop

And even in the case of a highly trained, highly skilled, heavily practiced cave diver, the question remains.. why was his drysuit valve closed? There are questions to be asked in any death. And there are often answers that help us as we go forward. One of my dive buddies died last fall on a cave dive, I had about 5 questions. Sadly, even though I got them all answered, they were not helpful simply because he violated well known safety protocols.

Would this woman from Oregon be alive if she followed basic OW safety protocol? Maybe. Would McFaden be alive if he adhered to the practice of not closing the suit valve? Maybe. Would my buddy be alive if he hadn't made 2 or 3 bonehead decisions that day. Probably.

That's how it goes.

As a general rule, I dive with my drysuit valve closed 2-3 clicks so I can look over my left shoulder without falling into the silt. On deco, I close it up a bit more so I can add some gas and stay warm. Most people I know manage their suits similarly. I wish I knew how this woman who died was attempting to manage her gas, if at all.

These comments are not helpful to this discussion. Let's keep this thread focused on the accident at hand. Start a thread on these topics if they are so interesting to you.

I'm finding them extremely helpful to the discussion.

My wife and I are still inexperienced (50 dives each), but we have established a habit of querying each others remaining gas when we check our own. It might sound excessive, but we sorta consider our collective resources as shared (much like our $$ :) ). So watching out for each other is in effect watching out for ourselves.

(Red Sea Liveaboard in 2 weeks!!!)

Best Regards & Keep it Safe
Richard

My take is that if someone's not bothering to check their air pressure, they're probably not checking much of anything else either.
This was my point. Checking your air, NDL, and depth kinda all go together.

Taking a stab at conjecture... quite possibly he was out of air as well.

I will admit that orally inflating my wing at the surface is one of the skills that I seldom practice. I guess I better start doing it more often.

and your conjecture would be right. 150psi max.
He was in bad shape too. If he'd have went after her he would have laid right beside her till someone brough him out too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom