Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not just a snorkeler-

Yea John's not just a snorkeler Ive been on multiple trips with his charter out in Port Orford. When I was a kid my dad and his buddies would dive with john all the time.

You just cant make that stuff up

jumbo

Zak OHara:
Just a side note. This guy (shooter) has changed his story multiple times. 1st it was a seal, then it was a nutria etc... IMO he is trying to find the right story with the least amount of repercussion. I am not the fish and game, but I think it is illegal to shoot these animals where he was anyway.

I personally do not sympathize with gun wielding drug addicts. I don't care what he thought he was shooting; at the end of the day he shot my friend.
Zak- I don't think it matters if he was shooting at a bald eagle surfing on a manatee. The game wardens will be the least of his problems. He just has to deal with the consequences and I hope they are substantial.

james, you're right, but in his mind, he is trying to figure out the least damaging story to tell

he is in a lot of trouble without admitting to shooting at otters OR nutrias

very sad, people that hate snorkels take things too far QUOTE]

This thread should be linked from every "snorkel-hater" thread! :rofl3:

maybe this is a market-test of DIR's anti-snorkel offensive?

I am just entering this conversation right now. I just saw a CNN piece on the accident-- not sure what took them so long to pick up on this. I wish good heath on anybody involved in this freak accident.
EUGENE, Oregon (AP) -- A snorkeler who was shot in the face after he was apparently mistaken for a swimming rodent was in good condition after surgery, a hospital said Saturday.

John William Cheesman, 44, of Springfield, underwent eight hours of surgery Thursday to remove bullet and bone fragments from his face, said his wife, Shelley Cheesman.

"He's doing really well," Shelley Cheesman said. "The bullet hit in front of his right ear, where the bone is the most dense. It just fragmented and didn't go into his brain."

He was listed in good condition at Oregon Health & Science University Hospital in Portland.

William Roderick, 60, of Reedsport, has been charged with assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana. He was being held in the county jail.

Roderick told deputies he thought Cheesman was a nutria swimming in the Smith River near Reedsport, about 90 miles southwest of Eugene, and shot him with a .22-caliber rifle, police said.

A nutria is a water-dwelling South American rodent species that is larger than a muskrat but smaller than a beaver. It was introduced to U.S. waters in the 1940s, according the National Wildlife Federation.

Cheesman, an avid diver, was in the river looking at different species of fish, his wife said. He swam to the river bank and yelled for help.

Roderick and another man came to Cheesman's aid in a boat, called 911 and drove him to an ambulance.

"I do give him credit for helping him," Shelley Cheesman said of Roderick.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

H2Andy:
maybe this is a market-test of DIR's anti-snorkel offensive?

Naw. The weapon was non-standard left-handed.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom