OrcaTorch D630 can light vs UWLD 35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a few months old, but I think a comparison between the D630 and the Focus 2.0 still is interesting for a few people - I know it was for me.
I own both, and they both have their pros and cons.
Let us start with the general impressions:
Both are actually really well made. The Orcatorch impressed me with excellent quality (and I already owned the d620, so I was expecting some quality).
The Goodman handle is, in my eyes, better than the one on the Halcyon (but heavier), and the overall quality is really good.
The Halcyon focus 2.0 obviously has some better quality parts, and the delrin canister impressed me.
The button on the Orcatorch is much better to operate than the really strange magnetic switch on the Focus - but it is a point of failure as I think the one on the Orca it is a physical button with seals (not magnetic). Could be wrong on this.
So quality wise - a slight lead to the focus, but not to an extent that would make me exclude the Orca.

So to the light outputs. This is where they are two completely different beasts.
I can't say one is better than the other -but they differ a lot and the type of diver you are will determine what light to choose.
Let us start with the pros of the Orca:
It has a lot of light!! Much more than the Halcyon. It claims a 7 degree spot, but nah.. it is probably close to 10. Still it is very good, and has a well defined center spot. Then there is the cone/halo.. it has a lot of light is outside of the spot. This might be a good thing for most divers, as it makes you see a larger area, and it feels "safe and secure" with a wider lit area. But when diving on very, very low visibility lakes it creates a bit of backscatter. It is not terrible, but very noticeable.
It is also a "what you see is what you get" light. The spot and halo has several levels, but it is what it is and can not be adjusted.
It is also not a constant output light, so the light will fade as voltage drops.
The battery is good, so not much to worry about, but the output will gradually be reduced during your dive.

The Halcyon has far less light than the Orca, but the spot on the tightest beam is much, much brighter than the center spot on the d630. Even when the Orca is fully charged the Focus is significantly brighter. That said: You have next to no halo, so you do only see about 5 degrees or so in the water (it is diamond/windows-logo shaped, so radius is hard to tell). Excellent for cutting through silt and for signalling, not so good if you feel trapped without light around you under water.
The ability to widen the beam up to about 70-80 degrees or so is actually very useful. It does not have a senter spot, so it can be used to get a great and even lighting when you want to look around, and it can be used while filming without burning out the image. If needed, it can be used as the only lightsource for filming, but the angle is not wide enough for good results. Use it as an additional light with a dedicated video light, and you have a winner.
Personally I use the tightest setting, somewhere near the tightest and full wide.. but having the option of gradually adjusting is good.
On wide, the amount of light from the Focus is rather low. The orca blows it out of the water on pure lumens.. but that is not all that counts.
On the other hand, the Focus has constant output during its burntime. No peak performance in the first fifteen minutes :)

For my use, I prefer the Focus. It is more versatile than the Orca, and the very tight beam has a longer range with less back scatter. The amount of light is enough for me, and the extra you get from the Orca is not adding significant value when diving.
Apart for the strange magnetic switch (and some degree of over-engineering) the Focus is really well built, and I can really rely on it.
The constant output is a bonus.
I think for other types of diving, the Orca might be a as good or better choice. The light cone is more familiar, and will suit most divers well.
It is impressively built for its price, and the output is more than most people will ever need. A very good light, and better value when you bring price into the equation.

Hope this helps :) Safe diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom