OrcaTorch D630 can light vs UWLD 35

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry I brought up that sensitive issue. Genuinely just didn’t know who he was...

I’m glad you asked. I didn’t know, either. Now I see why JohnnyC and tbone feel the way they do.

They sent him free product, they are happy to let his video promote their product.

How do you know they sent him a free product? OT have not said they have above, nor have they said they didn't. The video of the test also doesn't say it was a promo or free torch, it just says "real world testing" and "testing OT". I can't see / access his FB page where it's implied he's sponsored as per @stuartv above. <-- please see TBone's comment below. Also the video I was incorrectly referencing was a youtube one with the 570-GL, not the FB one in the OP.

OT would have no control whatsoever over who decides to post a video of their products online.

Now that OT are aware of this issue, I sense they're probably reviewing every ambassador, freebie etc ever given, and if it happened (directly, or indirectly somehow), they'd be absolutely nuts to ever have something similar happen again, and I suspect it's very safe to assume if it happened, it will never happen again which is what you also wish.

What's my skin in this? A few weeks ago I bought the 570-GL. Their other post here on SB prompted me to look into their product. Their customer service pre and post purchase was excellent both from their head office and from the local supplier.

I don't have a lot of experience with torches, but the 570 GL was clearly better than any other torch I saw in use on my dozen dives with it and other divers were also impressed. I'm very happy with it. So, net net, I don't wish to see them given grief if it's not warranted, or given more grief than deserved if they do the right thing moving forward.

EDIT ADD: The other reason typing this is you and @tbone1004 have significant reputations and sway on SB. I also bought my VDH mainly because of TBone's post. I'm also very happy with that decision. I understand you're upset with what may have happened, and you have said you'll merely take the action you see fit without speaking for anybody else.

I’m glad you asked. I didn’t know, either. Now I see why JohnnyC and tbone feel the way they do.

not just us, the entirety of the cave diving community feels that way..... to the point that any of the older cave divers will make sure those lights don't go anywhere down south, and this light is pitched perfect for many of us to have backup primaries or for newer divers. I'll wait to see what @OrcaTorch says going forward, but if I see another light review from him where he says it was sent to him then I'll get rid of the Orcatorch lights that I have bought same as I did with Big Blue when my buddy almost died. I'm really happy with their backup lights, but I'm also equally happen with several others so it won't be skin off of my back either way.

@Jay he said in the comments that it was given to him. Glad the VDH rig worked for you!

Reactions: Jay
@Jay he said in the comments that it was given to him.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll alter my post.

VDH18 is a dream. It's funny, as of now I've sold most of my SP stuff I first bought two years ago. Thanks to SB, it's Shearwater and DiveRite most of the way now.

... y'all got ancestors from salem in the family tree?

In a way, yes.

not just us, the entirety of the cave diving community feels that way..... to the point that any of the older cave divers will make sure those lights don't go anywhere down south, and this light is pitched perfect for many of us to have backup primaries or for newer divers. I'll wait to see what @OrcaTorch says going forward, but if I see another light review from him where he says it was sent to him then I'll get rid of the Orcatorch lights that I have bought same as I did with Big Blue when my buddy almost died. I'm really happy with their backup lights, but I'm also equally happen with several others so it won't be skin off of my back either way.

@Jay he said in the comments that it was given to him. Glad the VDH rig worked for you!

Thanks for reminding us. We know nothing about this accident before. Currently, we are reviewing all our ambassadors and reviewers we're working with, and we will be more cautious to choose the reviewers in the future.

Thanks for reminding us. We know nothing about this accident before. Currently, we are reviewing all our ambassadors and reviewers we're working with, and we will be more cautious to choose the reviewers in the future.

Thanks for taking it seriously.

I realise fine tuning and promoting a product can be hard.

One idea could be to eliminate free products, and just loan them out for review / feedback. Good products tend to get discovered and sell themselves.

Speaking for myself, if someone reviews a product that isn't paid promo/a freebie then it carries a lot of weight. Loan one to a long term experienced SB member and if they think it's great you've probably got a large # of sales for a cost of ~zero.

I'm glad that OrcaTorch is going to be more proactive in vetting who they utilize for product testing and promotion. I think they're uniquely placed to disrupt the light industry, and part of that is making sure those people are well-respected and put divers in a positive light. No pun intended.

A friend of mine purchased one of these and it finally arrived yesterday and I got to take a look at it. A couple thoughts below.

From the factory, the goodman handle is on the wrong way to actually rig it properly. Fortunately, that's easily rectified. Just swap it around so you can put the bolt snap in the right spot on the inside. On a positive note, there's a milled section at the back of the head for a bungee loop if you want to use a double ender. It's a nice touch, kudos to OrcaTorch for adding it. It needs a thumb loop of some kind. Whether it's like the Focus with the little bungee thump loop, or an actual scooter loop option, there should be something. I know it's a compromise with the non-traditional goodman handle, but it would still be nice for there to be some sort of thought put into it. That being said, the goodman handle is alright, just needs some tweaking to make it usable for technical diving.

The switch is interesting. I'm undecided on it. I guess it can go both ways, but I'd want more experience with it. I'll check in with my friend after she's had it in the water for a while and get her opinion.

I like the beam angle. There's no excuse for technical lights with massive beam angles unless you can also focus it down. OrcaTorch definitely went the right way with choosing a light that's tight enough for signaling without having to wave the thing around like you're trying to spin the head off a chicken.

The adjustable gland is still gimmicky to me. I still think it takes up a lot of room, and I still think people will rarely change it. I would rather see a top or a side option like UWLD does. The gland, coupled with the short battery pack is a little too large up top compared to the bottom, making it a little too short for storing the long hose IMO, but it's not terrible. A double-sized battery pack would be great, both from a length standpoint as well as battery reserve standpoint. The Focus solves the length issue by having the harness attachment at the top on the "cap," with the battery below. Maybe the 630mk2 can go the same way.

I don't like the harness strap. If you want to make it easily releasable, do it the way everyone else does it with a bungee loop and one screw clamp at the top. Velcro keepers rarely keep well. It would be really awkward to be swimming a long and all of a sudden your canister is dangling from the light head. Usually it happens the other way around. My friend replaced hers with a normal harness strap before I even saw the light.

I didn't do a burn test, but if the marketing numbers are true, I'd want a larger pack. It's primarily a reserve thing. If my dive is gonna be 5 hours, I want 8 hours of battery. Nobody died by having too much primary light battery. It also solves the long hose storage maybe-issue. If you need short run times, get a handheld. If you're dealing with a canister, make it worthwhile.

Battery indicators are always nice things when they work. Again, I'll have to get my friends opinion on its accuracy and usefulness.

Anyway, just a couple thoughts from about 15 minutes of handling out of the water. OrcaTorch is making good headway. I don't see myself going out and buying one of these. I have others that already do what I need them to do without any of the negatives I see in the D630. That being said, if they offered just the light head on a short E/O cord, I'd probably pick one up to throw in a pocket for those times when an HID lamp goes, since it's mostly the battery canister I have issues with.

Back
Top Bottom