Orbital Blowout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flamebug818

Reaction score
Southern california all ways want a dive buddy
# of dives
50 - 99
I feel and struck a movie theater armrest on august 18 2006, and fractured my orbital floor. On august 25 i had surgery that placed to plastic plates inbetween my orbital and sinus to encourage the proper growth of the bone. My doctor says i should be able to dive in apporximatly six months. Does this seem right? I just don't want to go diving and wreck my sinus and orbital floor somehow.

Hi Flamebug818,

The procedure described appears to be placement of polyethylene (MEDPOR) plate implants for orbital floor fracture reconstruction. Placement typically is along the juncture of the orbital floor and maxillary sinus.

Given good success with this surgery, there seems little reason for concern over harm to the healed fracture site from recreational scuba.

The treating surgeon (specialty not otherwise indicated) is in the best position to estimate return to scuba and six months is an appropriately conservative period given that no complications arise. Complete ophthalmic and ENT evaluations should prove normal prior to resumption of diving.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I am not an expert by any means..However I have had this injury and I would go with what the Dr. says on this one.
Out of curiosity, did you have double vision at any point? When I fractured my orbital bone, I had double vision for a good 2-3 weeks with that eye..When the swelling had gone down enough that I could open the eye that is...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom