Orange Filter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One difference in using filters for video and stills is the lighting. Video lights aren't as strong as strobes so the filters help provide the missing colors.

Dee once bubbled...
One difference in using filters for video and stills is the lighting. Video lights aren't as strong as strobes so the filters help provide the missing colors.

Hey Finesse...If you're talking about Lorenz in Bora Bora, I don't recall him having any lights what so ever.

BTW- all Islands are now up in the Aust. forum

Thats what I was so amazed at ...... nothing but natural light !!!
and only using a filter which yielded really great video!!! There were no missing colors here !!!!

I could have done without the sound track however:D :D

Here are four pics, two with a red filter and two without (no prizes for guessing which is which!). My camera is a Sony P9 and I am using the Sony filter. The photos have been cropped and resized, but otherwise are straight from the camera.

Zept

Warning: 90K image

Here's the same pictures again, each of them individually enhanced with ACDSee's 'auto levels' feature.

(I'm not trying to make an argument for either method, just putting another perspective on the comparisons)

Zept once bubbled...
Here are four pics, two with a red filter and two without (no prizes for guessing which is which!). My camera is a Sony P9 and I am using the Sony filter. The photos have been cropped and resized, but otherwise are straight from the camera.

Zept

Warning: 90K image

I've posted this before but since this is an orange filter question here it is again:

My girlfriend bought one (on very strong recommendation from a few people and the supplier, and it was expensive too) for her Sony MPK/P5 and till date has never got a decent photo with it. We tested it from about 3m - 10m. The ones at 3m were just more 'orangey' and the deeper ones were disgusting and sometimes had the camera struggle with focusing.

Personally I don't find the pics posted with the orange filter more appealing. And I can achieve similar (if not better) results with a good dose of Photoshop.

I'm sorry but I don't think the orange filter is an advantage at all. Save your money and buy a good strobe.

BTW, can anyone technically explain what an orange (or any other colour) filter does?

From my understanding of filters it absorbs the other colours of the spectrum in varying degrees so strictly speaking it's not 'adding' on top of the available light but 'taking away' - which with the already lack of light (all spectrum) underwater just doesn't make sense to use.... :bonk:

White balance: Can someone also explain how the orange filter would affect the picture with the white balance set to 'auto'? Would it confuse the camera even more?

Couldn't you also achieve the same result, say with a C4040 or C5050, if you did a 'one touch' white balance at that depth on a white object like your slate?

Explanations appreciated.

Damn right Dee - save your money and buy a strobe!

Ignorance must be bliss! I didn't touch the white balance of my C-4040 out of fear of screwing up something I didn't understand the purpose of....and I have not complaints with the way those pics came out. After a bit of experience with the camera, I changed, re-adjusted, whatever you want to call it my white balance using my white slate. The pics were definitely inferior and some downright sucked.

So the white balance is one of those factory settings I leave alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom