Orange Beach Winter Spearo/Lobster Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
I was chatting with Gary of Gary's Gulf Divers after the trip yesterday, and mentioned that I would like to plan a winter spearfishing/lobstering trip. He indicated that the only lobster would likely be found on the Trysler Grounds (20-25mi trip, 130ft), but I believe they might also be found on the deeper rigs near the bay (they are certainly on the LA rigs). Hell, I've seen them on the Pete Tide as the sun went down.

So, my question to you, my learned group, is

1) Who would be up for a charter with GGD (6 ppl needed). Spearos and Bug Catchers wanted. Estimate costs similar to an Oriskany trip.
2) What dates this winter would you be willing to go?
3) What site(s) would you like to visit?

I'd be interested if I can get the funds up.

The later the better for me, so I can gather said funds.

Trysler for sure, whatever after that is just peachy :D

Let's get some dates set for this trip.

I think we will do both dives on the Trysler Grounds

I am in the process of geting some GREAT #'s for this Trip. Depths will be 120 - 130fsw

algulfdiver:
I am in the process of geting some GREAT #'s for this Trip. Depths will be 120 - 130fsw

Dave (boondocks) pulled 17 lobsters off two tire pyramids this weekend, it might be worth your time checking a few of them out. I dont think that man ever has a bad day

algulfdiver:
Let's get some dates set for this trip.

I think we will do both dives on the Trysler Grounds

Ok, I'm thinking post-Christmas, so the weekend of Jan 6, Jan 13, Jan 20, or Jan 27.

Probably my picks would be for the 20, 21, 27, or 28.

The later dates work for me, gonna be a long cold ride... maybe. I need to find a bigger keg.

Are girls allowed? I'll be diving all winter but don't know if my non-wetsuit wimpy dive buddy is up for it. I guess if he has enough bud light, he would dive in "cold" water. BUT... are girls allow?

seadoggirl:
Are girls allowed? I'll be diving all winter but don't know if my non-wetsuit wimpy dive buddy is up for it. I guess if he has enough bud light, he would dive in "cold" water. BUT... are girls allow?

All are welcome. The only limitation is the number of people on the boat, and the wave height. I believe we'd use the Cat-n-around, but that's Gary's call.

paulwall:
All are welcome. The only limitation is the number of people on the boat, and the wave height. I believe we'd use the Cat-n-around, but that's Gary's call.

Thats the Plan. If all go that are on the list as of now we may be close to full.
I'm counting Paul and Mat.
I would like to do a Trysler Grounds Trip in late Nov. or early Dec. but would certainly do one in Jan. if thats what Y'all want.:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom