Orange Beach Trip Report 9/16/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another great weekend on board a private dive boat out of Orange Beach, Alabama. The boat this weekend was the one and only SPEARIT. We had four hunters on the boat on Saturday. The water was about 84 degrees at each spot. We started out on at the Buoy Tender which is 15 miles out of Perdido Pass. On board with Capt Tim the waves were minimal at 2', the weather was clear and we were on our way down. Buoy Tender was a new dive for me. It is a public site barge with a good population of small fish. Nothing shoot-able but a good dive. We felt good about the dive and made a second dive on the same site. The third dive was 10 miles barge which was a great dive last week, 10 miles off the beach. The vis was not great and the fish were minimal. We headed in to catch the end of the weigh-in for the Orange Beach Spearfishing tourament. If you have a chance check out their website in the next couple of days when they get the fish pictures posted. The Star Attraction was a 83+ lb Amberjack shot by Mike Gorman. We were not so lucky.

Sunday was a different day all the way around. The weather was scary in the morning with thunderstorms from the pass to the 10 mile marker. Having expert die hard divers on board we never thought of turning around. We aren't scared...aarrrggghhh!!! Our first dive was on the Wallace a Liberty Ship wreck in 95 feet of water. The vis was terrible for site seeing but great for fishing. We took a couple of fish, Trigger, black snapper, etc. The second dive, still in 85 degrees was on the 10 mile barge again in 92 feet of water. The vis was still not great. These two sites are only about a mile from each other. Our third dive was on the 70 ft Bridge rumble. You would think that it is in 70 ft of water but noooo, it is actually in 82 feet of water. The rumble makes a fun dive and the vis was better. We saw a cool squid and tons of small fish. Took a couple more fish for dinner off the rumble and made for shore. On the way in Abby and I checked all the tanks on the boat, found two with just at 1000 PSI and decided to do a quick trip down to check out the 3 mile barge. Vis was better, which I don't understand since it is a lot closer to shore but whatever, we will take it. We bounced down, scuba chicks with guns, to find a ton on small red snapper (too small) and lots of tropicials.

Seven great dives in two days, right out our back door. Life is great!

Thanks for the report. Just thinking of the three mile barge and how we used to find it by just getting in the vicinity & looking for the spadefish brought a smile...
The Gulf's really been good to us this summer, especially compared to last summer :)
Rick

SSSHHHHH!!! The tourist are just now leaving, don't let them know that the water stay warm and the beach life gets better after Labor Day. It's our little secret.

Thanks for the report seadoggirl, sounds like you had quite a set of dives over the weekend :D

You guys had a great weekend also. Did you make it to the weighin at Tacky Jackys? The fish were beautiful and some were huge. A great day for the local divers and lots of hope for the future with the fish looking so healthy. Well that is until they were shot!

seadoggirl:
You guys had a great weekend also. Did you make it to the weighin at Tacky Jackys? The fish were beautiful and some were huge. A great day for the local divers and lots of hope for the future with the fish looking so healthy. Well that is until they were shot!

Nice report seadoggirl,
I sure know what you mean about small fish on the sites grrrrr. Are you going to shoot in the shootout next month? I’ve heard two different dates so far the site say’s one and some of the members say another. If they go ahead with some of the new categories this should make for some fun.

We didn't make the weigh-in unfortunately. I'm sure we missed out on seeing some nicd fish!

Great Report seadoggirl, The date for the Shootout will be the 21st of October and new categories will most likely be Red Snapper. Black Snapper (Mangrove), Flounder, and Sheephead.
I'll do a new thread with more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom