Orange Beach Trip Report 5/5/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Started out on Saturday, with Gary's Gulf Diver on the Cat-N-Around. We had a lovely couple from Settle, Washington on the boat; a new diver, Justin who was doing really good; and Bob, who is another local. Gary and DM, Brian were also aboard doing a great job per normal.

We went 24 miles off shore in the Cat-N-around and I felt guilty it was so beautiful. The surface almost 1 foot. Just perfect. The water was a little cold, 68 at 109 feet. The first dive was on the Peak's Tide, which is a local wreck and the vis was okay, not great. We saw lots of good fish. The best thing was a ton of sea cucumbers, sluggy looking things. They were huge, about the size of a loaf of bread.

The second dive was even colder at 66 at 57 feet. We were on the Three Bridges, which is bridge rubble of course about closer to shore. The vis was total peasoup, about five feet. I did get to see a huge sea turtle and with vis that close, I was a little surprised to see him and he was a lot surprised to see me that close. We both did the road runner freeze in mid-swim, turn and swim the other way. Then I thought about it and started to swim after him. Didn't work, he was gone.

Gary, as always, takes care of everything and made the day a great time. Had a great day, and I highly recommend everyone call Gary's this week to schedule for next Saturday now. At least two people wanted to go with Gary on Saturday and we didn't have room on the boat. Call early and often. Also if you are flexible and can go at the last minute, they sometimes had a spot at the last minute.

Thanks, Gary and Brian, for another great day on the Cat-n-Around.

Great report. I'm definitely going to have to call Gary whenever I get a chance to go down there. Sounds like he runs a great dive trip.

Michael

You can't beat Gary's Gulf Diver for customer service and fun. He is a gentleman and a great diver. The boat is top notch, with plenty of room to move around, easy entrance and exits. He goes above and beyond to make the experience of diving out of Orange Beach just plain fun. He is low key and follows the rules of safety. Give him a call and come on down.

Psst, that particular wreck is called the Pete Tide :wink:

You got alot of bottom time this weekend, twas a great one to be on the water!

No problem, really :wink:

Hey what is the time on the boat dive for this saturday? And where will it most likely go? I will be in the neighborhood and I am scouting out some dive plans. I hope to at least get soem shore dives in. Nice report by the way. :D

We meet at Gary's dive shop at 7:00 a.m. The boat is about two miles down the road at Sportsman Marina. This Saturday May 12 is Reel Barge which is a 90 foot dive, deep experience required. You'll need to ask Gary details on that one. The weather looks good for Saturday and the Cat-n-Around makes it nice! WARNING Lady Pirate Denise is planning on being on board. We will be planning get together Saturday after the dive and maybe Friday night if anybody is interested.

I can't wait. I went stir crazy this past weekend!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom