Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gf!sh

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys! I'm on the last day of my open water certification tomorrow, currently doing it in bohol, alona beach, with Philippines fun divers (who have been fantastic so far!). I'm planning to do one day dive at Balicasag next, to get a few more dives experience. I'm still nervous but gaining confidence with each dive.

The question is, where do I go next? I've heard loads about malapascua, as well as apo island and moalboal but I'm wondering whether going to somewhere like malapascua (for example) with my experience level will be pointless? I hear that if you are not advanced level, (and I won't be taking that course on this trip for various reasons,) then you can't see threshers or the stuff that people go there specifically for. Could a newly certified diver still have fun there and see some better marine life than in the other places? Would I be better off somewhere else?

To summarise, I'm still new to this diving scene and don't want a really super tough dive, but at the same time I wanna increase my experience and challenge myself more slowly whilst being able to see some amazing stuff! Any tips will be hugely appreciated, as well as pointers to reputable dive schools that will run small groups so that I can still stick close and learn from the pros! Thanks :)

**should mention: it does have to be in this area (cebu and vicinity) simply due to onwards flight plans but I do have about 7days for diving after my padi in this area, meaning could do apo and moalboal, or malapascua and perhaps something additional if time (though I know it's a bit further away from moalboal and the other options.) feel free to mention other options if they're within relatively easy reach of cebu (or boracay, as planning to end my trip there). Thanks again!

Hello.
Alona have a lot of dive sites and Balicasag IMHO is not the better one. Or may be it is my bad luck with Balicasag)))
I will try to find photo with all dive sites of Alona area. They have even dive site with mandarin fish. I was there twice and diving was nice.
I was on Philippines in November and one of dive places was Santander (on Sebu Island) - new for me, but really fantastic. All house dive sites with great macro with depth not more 20-25 meters. And you can easy come to Dauwin and Oslob from this place.
The main fall of this place is extra fees! You need to pay it for everything - every dive, every dive with a camera, etc.
may be on Moal Boal situation is better? I never been there(
On Malapasqua area I love a lot Gato Island with underwater tunnel through it with lot of different crabs and whitetips inside. But I don't remember the depth here.
Mandarin fish dive site on Malapasqua was destroyed, in November we tried to find them but we loose)))

Last edited:
1. The Monad Shoal(thresher shark) in Malapascua is NOT really suitable for inexperienced or ow diver.
2. There are plenty of dive sites around Alona Beach to suit your experience.
3. Dauin(Dumaguette) is only a ferry ride away.
4. Moalboal is about 2hrs by bus from Cebu City. Easy dive and the school of sardines is not to be missed.

If you really want to try other place then Moalboal gets my vote.

Have a good time.

I found the photo

Attachments

• 18.03.2009-38.jpg
    18.03.2009-38.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 72
As above, you have plenty to choose from. Malapascua is in range if you are willing to do AOW training also or at least do the Deep adventure dive to extend your range to 30m. Moalboal the sardines is an ideal dive as its great and its a very easy dive. Dauin and Apo also pretty easy although some of the nice macro zones in Dauin do exceed 18m also.

Mandarinfish are still here on Malapascua.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom