Optimum bcd for kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I confirm at that age, kids grow nearly a size a year and it can be costly with the jacket style BCD. My twins started at the age of 11, size junior, and now at 14, they're outgrowing size S.

I confirm at that age, kids grow nearly a size a year and it can be costly with the jacket style BCD. My twins started at the age of 11, size junior, and now at 14, they're outgrowing size S.

1+.

My son started at 10 1/2. He is now almost 17. He had a rapid growth spurt at age 14, and quickly left his size Small BC behind. He is how diving a BP/W (SS plate, HOG 32 wing, Hogarthian harness).

Best wishes.

My 12yr old son is currently still using his Zuma XXS from when he was 10. I'm sure it will last him until the inevitable growth spurt. Probably get 140dives on it before we need to get him a bigger one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My girlfriends two 12 & 13 have just started OW classes and both have wings, they have learnt in the pool before hand how they float you (my wing has NEVER face planted me). The instructor at my LDS who I know personally recommended wings because they grow with the child and it wasn't to get a sale as he's a member of our dive club too and often comes out with his wife on rec dives for the fun (rather than teaching)

If you grandson doesn't like diving, you're more likey to sell a wing on than a kiddies BC

If the DSS setup is too pricey, I would suggest a Zeagle Express Tech, it has a soft backplate that is good for travel. There is a rather long thread on it started by Netdoc. Alternatively, Oxycheq makes a soft backplate that you could mate with their wing or a less expensive choice. If you are looking for something inexpensive I would try used. There are plenty of outgrown small wings for sale.

I'd pony up for a bare-bones XS BCD. The Mares Rover has 2 dsets of shoulder 'quick-release' buckles which I use (rental) often for tightening the BCD if it looks slightly too large on a guest. They're a cheap(ish) workhorse BCD with no frills, however it's not weight intergrated. However unless the kid is using really thick wetsuits, then 4lb on a belt shouldn't be a big deal. One can fashion non-releasable (but ultimately removable) weight ties using bungee to remove some weight from the belt if that's really needed.

There is definitely re-sale opportunities for BCD's on ebay etc. as long as you don't expect to sell it for more than half what you paid for it.

There is definitely re-sale opportunities for BCD's on ebay etc. as long as you don't expect to sell it for more than half what you paid for it.

I agree about the opportunity, but when looking at scuba related items (BCs, Fins, Wetsuits, etc) on ebay the smaller sizes always go much cheaper than the same item in a larger size. So trying to sell a slightly used small BC, the OP may only get 1/4 or less of what he paid. He is better off buying a used BC or a new cheaper BP&W combo.

OP: The face-plant "myth" isn't as much false as it is undereducation. If you SUPER overinflate your BPW and think you can stay at the surface vertically, you're mistaken. You WILL be face-planting. However, if you inflate to just positive and lean back otter-style you're a LOT better off. It's absolutely relaxing once you get "on top of it" (pun VERY MUCH intended). As has been mentioned before, a BPW is the most flexible setup in terms of fit there is. For very small frames, you can even set up a "Switchback" style harness. I'm 6'6" 270#, and the same harness fits my tiny wife (albeit, with some slack and a little adjustment). If you get your grandson a decent BPW, it might be the last BCD he ever needs. Changing sizes is changing ~$15 worth of webbing and takes all of 45 minutes (to get it VERY close, a few dives to get it "right").

However, the BCD is neither a device to keep you afloat at the surface or a device to save money with. A BCD is to keep you neutral in the water. In the water, a BPW really shines. During dives, the BPW will keep him in a textbook horizontal position more easily than a jacket. The shape of the wing is VERY conducive to horizontal stability. If cost is a concern, then this package is VERY hard to beat. It's low in price, and high in quality. If he doesn't like it, or doesn't like scuba, then selling it for a minimal loss is possible. That "minimal loss" is not possible with a "kids" jacket-style bcd. The other option is to get a super low-end and/or used kids BCD and deal with it. In the long run (next few years, I'm not talking decades) it'll be better to go with a BPW. It's what my kids will be in. Well, either that or sidemount gear :D

Last edited:
He is not going to need much weight from your description of him. Thus not a very big wing. Likely he'll be using al80's or perhaps even al63's. I'd put him in an aluminum plate, add a couple weight pockets to the cam bands, a 23lb HOG travel wing because that is what I sell. And could even add a couple weight pockets with quick releases on the waist belt that I also carry that can be used for weights or small items. I have a way of threading harnesses and tucking the excess on the buckle side that would allow you to quite likely not have to mess with buying another harness for years. And with a few adjustments you may also be able to use the exact same rig as a lightweight travel set up for warm water and al tanks without changing anything.
The other option I myself would also.seriously consider is the aforementioned Express Tech. Set up in a similar fashion. Weight distribution this way would also minimize any face planting tendency. But with any set up proper weight distrubution and amount is going to be key. And I would also stay far away from integrated bc's and go with a belt. WI bc's are just going to.force him to lift a rig that is heavier than it needs to be. WI is ok for some. But having used one for a couple years and then going back to a belt just reinforces my opinion that they are unnecessary and for those who do not use them properly, even dangerous.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

My grandson has been using a Oceanic Explorer Youth BCD for three years. He just turned 13. Unfortunately it appears they quit making that model. I did a quick check and there are some available new and used. It was pricey, but if he needs a new one next year they are easy to resell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom