Optimal P-valve placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, this drysuit is definitely full of surprises :). Thanks very much again, Mike, for your and Jay's help. Were it not for that, god knows where the valve might have ended up otherwise if I punched that hole! One last question... do you normally glue those rubber washers onto the suit with Aquaseal or a silicone sealant, or at least lubricate anything with silicone grease before connecting, or just screw everything on dry?

I lubricated the valve side of the outside washer with some baby shampoo so that the valve could turn while tightening and not deform the seal.

Thanks again for the hint, Andy. That seal does apparently take a little bit of effort to get just right... after 1 hour in the pool at 10 feet, I got a round damp patch on the undergarment at the thigh, right around the seal location. I did two drysuit leak tests by following online DUI tutorials, first the soapy water test, and then the inside-out water test, and neither of them revealed any leaks in the suit (even on the valve). Must be the washers, leaking only under pressure. I will try the baby shampoo, and if that fails, I may just have to glue the washers to the suit.

There's not much pressure on the p-valve to cause the washers to leak. I just put a dab of silicon on the washers and hand tightened, and it's never leaked.

I did reinforce the area around the hole (see picture in post #15) to make a stiff area for the washers to seat.

How many washers are you using? You should only have 1.....and it should be on the inside of the suit

I have two of these gaskets... one on the inside, and one on the outside. I had assumed that the rubber, being softer, will seal better against the non-smooth fabric texture of the outside of the core, as compared to the hard and smooth surface of the valve. I did not think about gasket material compression at depth, though, I wonder if that's what's happening here... or if not, why else do you recommend to not use a washer on the outside? Just curious, I have little experience with this sort of stuff...

I did reinforce the area around the hole (see picture in post #15) to make a stiff area for the washers to seat.

I did that too, I used this patch kit. I placed the smoother surface of the patch against the inside of the suit. The other side of the patch (the one that goes against the internal washer) is not smooth, it has a little bit of texture just like the outside of the core.

I just put a dab of silicon on the washers and hand tightened, and it's never leaked.

I didn't, maybe that's the problem... material must have deformed due to friction.. I'll try the one-washer setup, silicone grease, baby shampoo, and see what works.

Thanks again, everyone!!!

The problem is you are using 2 gaskets. That is why it is leaking.

Only put one on the inside, that is it. Anything else will leak...like is happening.

No need to silicone or use baby shampoo. Just use one washer and I guarantee you will be dry if put together and tightened properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom