Optimal P-valve placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks very much!!! I'm definitely going to give Jay or Eric a call... meanwhile, here's another attempt. Here's the location of the seams (painted over the photo in green lines), and a paper cirlce the size of the valve (a bit over 1.75 inches in diameter), attached onto a flat leg... the leg is aligned such that the inner thigh seam at the bottom of the leg is right at the edge (there is no seam on the outer thigh).

seams.jpgIMG_0635.jpgIMG_0637.jpg

...and here's how it looks when wearing the dry core.

IMG_0639.jpgIMG_0641.jpgIMG_0646.jpg

Thoughts?

Move over another inch to the outside of the leg. RIght now, it would look good for any other drysuit. Also, move it down about another inch too, and that should be right about perfect. How you have it now, is perfect, if it wasn't a Fusion. We need to account for the extra material, and the skin bringing it all in tight :wink:

Are you really expecting anyone to believe this crap. Your legs are not 2" long. Not so sure about other parts though. :)

This from a guy who has to pull the hairs just to take a leak. But that's a matter for a medical shortcomings forum rather than hijacking this thread.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I finally found the time and the will power to begin, and immediately run into a possible problem... the placement of the valve and the pattern of seams on my Fusion does not seem to match anything I found on the net (such as in this thread). In the pictures below is the approximate location I clumsily made with a sharpie marker under the sport skin while wearing the suit. I've tried to pinpoint a spot that, while in the suit with a full set of undergarments, falls roughly in the middle point between my crotch and my knee cap, and roughly at 2pm. This location does not seem to be consistent with anything I've seen elsewhere, I"m afraid I may be doing something wrong. What are your thoughts? ( As a side note, the damned whiteout is waterproof and won't come off by rubbing, do you recommend using acetone to remove it? I'm not sure how it will react with the dry core material. )
The thread you linked is what I used to install the p-valve on my Fusion, and the location of the seam pictured matches my suit. Location came out midway between front of leg and inside of leg.I put the whiteout on the inside of the dry core and didn't bother to remove it.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 362
Oh, well... I'm not sure I'm in love with this location, but it is what it is... I haven't used any silicone glue yet, just rubber washers cleaned with isopropyl alcohol between the valve and the dry core. We'll find out soon enough what this contraption does in the water. The valve is poking my leg more than I had expected, but maybe it will be fine once inflated. Thanks again, everyone!

IMG_0654.jpg

Hmm, interesting... shifting the bag while donning the dry core, and before pulling the skin over it, does give it a bit of location flexibility. Once the skin is on top, it stays more or less fixed. Now, one thing that still bothers me is the stiff hose that wants to roll the valve sideways, but I'll give it a chance.

IMG_0656.jpg

Hmm, interesting... shifting the bag while donning the dry core, and before pulling the skin over it, does give it a bit of location flexibility. Once the skin is on top, it stays more or less fixed. Now, one thing that still bothers me is the stiff hose that wants to roll the valve sideways, but I'll give it a chance.

View attachment 180206

As you noticed, the position is flexible because your leg doesn't keep the inner core taught. So you have the movement for the best location. You might want to just re position how the tube is running to prevent it from wanting to roll the valve. Have it go straight up and trim for fit if needed.

As you noticed, the position is flexible because your leg doesn't keep the inner core taught. So you have the movement for the best location. You might want to just re position how the tube is running to prevent it from wanting to roll the valve. Have it go straight up and trim for fit if needed.

Right, this drysuit is definitely full of surprises :). Thanks very much again, Mike, for your and Jay's help. Were it not for that, god knows where the valve might have ended up otherwise if I punched that hole! One last question... do you normally glue those rubber washers onto the suit with Aquaseal or a silicone sealant, or at least lubricate anything with silicone grease before connecting, or just screw everything on dry?

... You might want to just re position how the tube is running to prevent it from wanting to roll the valve. Have it go straight up and trim for fit if needed.

I ended up NOT trimming the hose, instead I let run up towards the chest and then loop down. This way it didn't put pressure against the fittings. I also went with the quick connect fittings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom