Optimal lift capacity of a wing with a single tank in warm saltwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I was contemplating a BP/W with a 23lb wing but after reading some threads here, was concerned that it wouldn't be enough lift. Assuming I'm diving warm(er) water, so no more than a 5mm wetsuit and a single tank (and steel backplate), would 23lb be enough? If there's really no difference in drag or anything, I suppose having the extra lift from the 32lb wouldn't hurt anything and might be more versatile in the future...

I mostly dive 23 lb in warm water with 5mm or less and it is adequate for the weight I use. I do keep in mind buddies' weight needs as I like to have extra lift if needed to "share." Above 5mm I'll bring my 38 lb wing. I also have a 32 HOG, but I don't dive it much as it is bulkier than my others.

Also depends on where you are diving. I normally dive with a 32lb wing when traveling ( warm water locations).
We have also experienced some very nasty down currents. The worst was actually a vortex in blue water (depth unknown) with no visual references. got pulled down 100+ft with wing inflated, came up partially and pulled down again.
Wished I had my 45 lb wing at that point.
With an AL80 & 3mm full suit I only wear 4lbs on my belt (AL backplate), so not overweighted.

Minimal sized wing/BCD not always the best choice

That's the time to use your smb for extra lift. :) It's like having an emergency backup and so many people fail to use it for that purpose.

...If there's really no difference in drag or anything, I suppose having the extra lift from the 32lb wouldn't hurt anything and might be more versatile in the future...

That's a good take-away.

There really isn't any difference in drag between 23 lb and 30/32 lb lift.

For diving in warm saltwater, with a 3 mm shorty wetsuit, and 17 pounds of weight, what is the optimal lift capacity of a wing for a single tank considering safety at the surface and streamlining for minimal resistance underwater? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Bill Kenny

I'm wondering how much you weigh, how tall you are and what kind of BC or BP/W you are using.

It could be that you're appropriately weighted, but it's hard to estimate without knowing the above.

FWIW, shorties are horrible for getting into proper trim. You might want to consider getting a 2 or 3 mm wetsuit instead.

I mostly dive 23 lb in warm water with 5mm or less and it is adequate for the weight I use. I do keep in mind buddies' weight needs as I like to have extra lift if needed to "share." Above 5mm I'll bring my 38 lb wing. I also have a 32 HOG, but I don't dive it much as it is bulkier than my others.
HOG is what I was looking at. Is the 32 really that much bulkier? Is it the bungeed one?

That's the time to use your smb for extra lift. :) It's like having an emergency backup and so many people fail to use it for that purpose.
Not sure if that would have helped. We were ending the dive early (extreme current) and headed out to deep water for the boat PU.
After we reached the boat we were told that the guide had attempted to send his smb up to alert the boat but the smb went down (as did our exhaust bubbles).

Not sure if that would have helped. We were ending the dive early (extreme current) and headed out to deep water for the boat PU.
After we reached the boat we were told that the guide had attempted to send his smb up to alert the boat but the smb went down (as did our exhaust bubbles).
There is no optimal lift for a severe down current, once your bubbles go down you need to go sideways.

HOG is what I was looking at. Is the 32 really that much bulkier? Is it the bungeed one?

It does not have bungees on it, and my other does. It feels much bulkier to me, but I've never measured it in an objective way.

One day I will add bungees which should make a big difference. It is good quality and I've never had any issues with it in its limited use, so don't let my opinion steer you away. There's a bazillion happy HOG bp/w users here that could offer better input than me.

There is no optimal lift for a severe down current, once your bubbles go down you need to go sideways.
With no frame of reference (blue water) and being twirled (in a vortex) easier said than done

For diving in warm saltwater, with a 3 mm shorty wetsuit, and 17 pounds of weight, what is the optimal lift capacity of a wing for a single tank considering safety at the surface and streamlining for minimal resistance underwater? Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Bill Kenny
Assume you're diving in a bottomless ocean. If a problem arises and you begin an uncontrolled descent; the wing may not be able to provide buoyancy. You could forget to ditch weights. Go for the 30 lb wing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom