Optics degree for single XM-L light build

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

300winmag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to make a few single cell 26650 XM-L lights for my Hero2.
As for the optic I am wondering what most of you guys preffer.. 80°, 90° or 100°?
I need to find an optic that also gives smooth edges around the perimeter of the beam...??
Any help would be appreciated.

I supposed that you want to do this gopro specific?
In water the gopro has a fov of around 110 degrees therefore 70 degrees is sufficient, if you have wider lights you risk of illuminating the water in front of the lens where the camera does not focus and end up with backscatter

I was thinking of using 4 small single XM-L lights evenly pointed for good coverage....

Here is a thread that has my tray in it. What I'm going to do is cut off the existing holders and make 2 new ones on each arm.... I'm thinking about 4" apart from each other. Then point them in different directions. Of course I will have to do some testing to find the right angles but it worked flawlessly on my crap shoot Aliexpress lights.

4 points could be interesting but they would need to be in a rectangle which is not practical
I saw what happened on your first rig how much did that cost? Why don't you start with 2? 70 degrees is sufficient

4 points could be interesting but they would need to be in a rectangle which is not practical
I saw what happened on your first rig how much did that cost? Why don't you start with 2? 70 degrees is sufficient

The cost for them lights was 135 shipped each if I recall.
2 lights will not give me enough light so I will go with 4 unless I make the lights bigger which im trying not to do. I like the single cell idea. A rectangular pattern might work if the beams are soft enough.

You need to mimic the angle of the 16:9 screen with the position of the lights if you want the to be useful
However having lights under the camera axis is cumbersome and means you can't go low or thy would touch
This is why you have two points lighting in video or at times 3 but not 4

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom