Optical connect of S2000 to Ikelite S95 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svbravo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a newbie to UW photog, so bear with me if this has been discussed earlier.

I've just purchased an S2000 w/ Ikelite housing for Canon S95.
The optical cable seems to attach to the white camera "shield" that is held by a ring around the lens port of the housing. This shield is free to rotate around the lens, which moves the end of the cable away from the front of the internal flash area.

In general, the system seems very "mickey mouse", or Rube Goldberg like. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a better way to anchor the cut end of the optical cable to the camera housing other than the whacky shield that comes w/ the Ikelite?

All else w/ the system seems tight and well engineered...this one issue seems out of place.

Thanks for any help
Adam

Did your FO cable come with velcro? I've had good luck with using the adhesive velcro to stick the FO cable directly to the Ikelite housing (in front of where the flash pops up) with my s90. This also blocks enough of the pop-up flash's light that the white shield isn't necessary.

I think you're right, though--I'm growing increasingly convinced that fiber-optic connections for strobes are just plain inelegant.

OK, Ron...I'll bite
How? I'd like to blank out the camera strobe to avoid backscatter (which the Ikelite shield does), while still allowing the S2000 to pick up the camera flash. Not sure how to do it w/o using a cable.

thanks
Adam

I purchased an Inon plug adapter for a DC12 housing. I removed the adapter and then I built a new deflector for my Ikelite housing. I then attached the Inon adapter to my aluminum self fabricated deflector. It looked factory, it worked factory.

Optical cables are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. The adapter that came with my S90/FIX is superb. I insert the cut/raw end of the Inon fiber cable into the FIX adapter and whamo, you are ready to rock and roll.

Your problem is that you are trying to use an Inon strobe with a housing built by "stone age" Ikelite who refuses to recognize the value of optical fiber cables or that some people insist on not using clunky Ikelite strobes and therefore they intentionally make it difficult for you so that you will buy their AF35 strobes for your Ikelite housing.

If you want to use the Inon strobes with the superb fiber cable system with your Ikelite box, you will need to make your own plug adapter or you are pretty much stuck with sticky back Velcro half aXX bubblegum and spit solutions.

N

I purchased an Inon plug adapter for a DC12 housing. I removed the adapter and then I built a new deflector for my Ikelite housing. I then attached the Inon adapter to my aluminum self fabricated deflector. It looked factory, it worked factory.

Optical cables are the only way to go as far as I am concerned. The adapter that came with my S90/FIX is superb. I insert the cut/raw end of the Inon fiber cable into the FIX adapter and whamo, you are ready to rock and roll.

Your problem is that you are trying to use an Inon strobe with a housing built by "stone age" Ikelite who refuses to recognize the value of optical fiber cables or that some people insist on not using clunky Ikelite strobes and therefore they intentionally make it difficult for you so that you will buy their AF35 strobes for your Ikelite housing.

If you want to use the Inon strobes with the superb fiber cable system with your Ikelite box, you will need to make your own plug adapter or you are pretty much stuck with sticky back Velcro half aXX bubblegum and spit solutions.

N

Can you post a photo of your fabricated deflector solution? Thanks!

you can also get the inon "clip on" adapter that will go on the ikelite deflector...that is what i did when i was using my ikelite set up

INON [Optical D Cabe Type L / Cap Set]

optical D cable / cap set

it won't help with the "slipping" around problem of the ikelite deflector but...

i hated my ikelite set up so i sold it and went with an oly set up...miss the depth rating of the ikelite (but it didn't work below 150' anyway) but the oly set up has been much easier to work with and "accessorize"

I use the cable in the above post, and use thick duct tape to hold it in front of the internal flash. This also blocks the flash enough to avoid using the deflector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom