Opinons about "Spare Air' device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Without getting into a whole discussion of whether the "Spare Air" is better or not better than a pony bottle, is the "Spare Air" device itself a competent and reliable piece of equipment? Are there other devices around the same size which hold more air?

Thanks,

Sy

Spare air faliures I have seen or experience have all occurred while filling it or on entry to the water. Therefore none created an unmanagable safety hazard. No comparable options that I know of with more air.

Could you put butter on that please?

sytech:
Without getting into a whole discussion of whether the "Spare Air" is better or not better than a pony bottle, is the "Spare Air" device itself a competent and reliable piece of equipment? Are there other devices around the same size which hold more air?

Thanks,

Sy

I have owned both and without hijacking your thread I will briefly state my own personal opinion in the hopes that you save you an unnecessary intermediate purchase.

I bought a Spare Air and carried it for a while. It is a viable alternate air source and provides redundancy BUT is very small (3.0 cu ft of air).

Mine was reliable and seemed to be a quality made product. (answering your REAL question!)

I later sold it and bought a 19 cu foot pony bottle that I carry slung (like a stage). I take it when diving solo and on almost all deep dives (>60-70 feet). This size give me roughly emergency supply of 25% of my normal air supply (I usually dive an 80 CU FT Aluminum tank. It is virtually unnoticible once in the water and takes very little to get used to.

I know some folks argue that with proper gas management and a proper buddy, that a pony is unnecessary. I happily carry mine, and also usually have a good competent buddy but it still makes me feel better!

I think Scuba diving Magazine did an article about that same issue about 2-3 months ago.Basically it came down to they are safe however, you have to look at the enviroment they are going to be used in.(They also have to be carried on the dive for it to be usefull,not left on a boat or in a car.)If you plan on using it in deeper water,as a safety device,then it probably wont be useful,as opposed to using it in 35 feet of water on a reef for example.It just wont hold enough air to be usefull deep.If I can find the magazine with the article,I will let you know.

I've never used a Spare Air & am getting a 40cuft pony/ deco bottle for myself, but have had a dive buddy that did have one. He said he didn't like it because he only got about 5 breaths out of it before running out of air. To this day it's still a paper weight. The spare air is good for a shallow emergency ascent.

IF you're using them as intended as in rec.diving
you won't need them,use your spg. otherwise there of no use.
That said, i like the idea, but they are to small to be of any use.
Tests say they can be used up to 30m:confused:well that will be testing in perfect conditions
even a octo on the same 1st stage won't work on 30m+

if you NEED some spareair,take a buddy or better yet a pony or doubble tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom