Opinons about "Spare Air' device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I owned a Spareair for 3 years and recently sold it and bought a pony due to the reasons already mentioned - 3 cu ft doesn't provide sufficient air and the Spareair's delivery rate is questionable for some scenarios that may happen on my dives. I've read some threads that say some Spareairs leak. Forunately, mine was good and held a full tank for the last 1 year I owned it without needing a re-charge.
If your question is do you need it? I suppose it depends on what kind of diving you do (how deep, diving conditions) and what kind of diver you are (air consumption under stress, are you prone to panic etc). For me, I don't thnk it offers a sufficient margin of safety for my dives at 45 ft or deeper, if my reg experiences a catastrophic failure. Also, I've found it breathes very wet at all depths and breathing becomes harder below 30ft. Is it better than having no redundancy? Perhaps, since every gulp of air underwater can mean the difference between life and death. But for a little more money, you can get a 13 or 19 cu ft pony tank (> 4 times more air) and decent regulator (which definitely breathes better). And carrying ponies aren't much more of a hassle than Spareairs. For these reasons, I went with a pony.
Dive safely.

sytech:
Without getting into a whole discussion of whether the "Spare Air" is better or not better than a pony bottle, is the "Spare Air" device itself a competent and reliable piece of equipment? Are there other devices around the same size which hold more air?

Thanks,

Sy

There is one called H2Odessy. See the link below

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/H2EA...l&AdvSrchSortField=Relevance&SortDesc=0&Hit=1

I don't own either piece of equipment so I can't comment on the relative merits of Spare Air or H2Odessey.

Spare airs are perfect for what they were designed for, escaping from a crashed helicopter at sea.

sytech:
Without getting into a whole discussion of whether the "Spare Air" is better or not better than a pony bottle, is the "Spare Air" device itself a competent and reliable piece of equipment? Are there other devices around the same size which hold more air?

Thanks,

Sy

In about '88 or so, I bought the original model(grey in color)....used it for many years till the purge button on top finally broke (thank you kids) upon dropping it so many times...We probably refilled it 300 to 400 times between using it for dives, in our swimming pool, & hundreds of snorkles off our pier @ Roatan....

I would have to vote that it is reliable when needed........I have recently gotten a replacement(thank you Catherine) & plan on bringing down a sip or 2 or extra air, kind of like throwing a gallon of gas in a gasoline can in the trunk of your car, ain't much but will get you down the road a few miles.....

Now saying this, there are other bigger models(by a different manufacture) out there....see link....hope this will help you out.....http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=spare+air&Submit=Search

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

My diving is several times a year in tropical waters and at depths of 40-100 ft. more or less. I consider myself to be careful and prudent but would feel "safer" with b/u air supply. You've convinced me that the Spare Air won't cut it.

I would appreciate recommendations for a 13 or 19 cu. ft. pony bottle with a regulator and anything else I might need. I just hope these are not too cumbersome. Also, are they a problem getting through Security at airports?

Sy

EvaL:
I owned a Spareair for 3 years and recently sold it and bought a 19 cu ft pony due to the reasons already mentioned - 3 cu ft doesn't provide sufficient air and the Spareair's delivery rate is questionable for some scenarios that may happen on my dives. I've read some threads that say some Spareairs leak. Mine was good and held a full tank for the last 1 year I owned it.
Do you need it? I suppose it depends on what kind of diving you do (how deep, diving conditions) and what kind of diver you are (air consumption under stress, are you prone to panic etc). For me, I don't thnk it offers a sufficient margin of safety for my dives at 45 ft or deeper, if my reg experiences a catastrophic failure. Also I've found it breathes very wet at all depths and breathing becomes harder below 30ft. Is it better than having no redundancy? Perhaps, since every gulp of air underwater can mean the difference between life and death. But for a little more money, you can get a 13 or 19 cu ft pony tank (> 4 times more air) and decent regulator (which definitely breathes better). And carrying ponies aren't much more of a hassle than Spareairs. For these reasons, I went with a pony.
Dive safely.

sytech:

My diving is several times a year in tropical waters and at depths of 40-100 ft. more or less. I consider myself to be careful and prudent but would feel "safer" with b/u air supply. You've convinced me that the Spare Air won't cut it.

I would appreciate recommendations for a 13 or 19 cu. ft. pony bottle with a regulator and anything else I might need. I just hope these are not too cumbersome. Also, are they a problem getting through Security at airports?

Sy
I referred to this website when I was researching pony size:
http://www.scubanaked.com/pony.html
It appears 19 cu ft. (for up to 99 ft) might be what you're looking for.
You can either mount it on your tank with a bracket device or sling it on your side - which of these to pick is probably a separate discussion thread (you can do a search on these topics - there are tons of threads on them). There's also the issue of whether you want to deal with three 2nd stages (2 to your primary and 1 for the pony) or remove your original octo, leaving just two 2nd stages - one for the primary 1st stage and 1 for the pony.
I haven't brought mine through airports yet, but I haven't heard divers with problems traveling with ponies. Just remove the valve (tanks must not be presurrized), carry a copy of the latest TSA guidelines on tanks in case the screeners don't know the rules about them: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/compressed_gas.shtm
Another issue may be weight - the 19 cu ft tank is around 8.1 pounds, which might add significantly to the weight of your luggage.
Good luck.

Tanks:

My wife used a 15 cu ft Catalina. The advantage was that the service pressure was 2015 psi and you could transfill it from an AL80 at the dive site. Plus the bouyancy traits of both the 15 cu ft Catalina and 14 cu ft Luxfer low pressure tanks were great. They were esseatially neutral when empty with the valve ad reg attached (so they required no additional weight to be used) and were only about 1.5 pounds negative when full with valve and reg attached, so they did not massively overweight the diver.

The currently available 3000 psi ponies from both sources are couple pounds more negative than their previsouly available low pressure counterparts so you end up having to remove a couple pounds of lead to remain properly weighted.

OMS offers 2400 psi ponies but they are again a bit too negatively bouyant for my preferences.

I would go with a 19 cu ft tank as compared to a 13 cu ft tank. It will be about 5 inches longer (which make no difference in how the tank rides or feels underwater regardless of whether you tank mount it or sling it.) A 19 cu ft tank will only be 2 lbs heavier (6 versus 8 pounds) and the diameters are identical. And the larger 19 cu ft tanks are normally about a pound less negatively bouyant.

The Luxfer and Catalina 19 cu ft ponies are virtually the same bouyancy wise with the Luxfer being slightly heavier in weight (about 4 oz), an inch longer and with a capacity of 19.9 cu ft as opposed to the Catalina's 19.0 cu ft.

In comparison a Luxfer 30 is about 3.5 lbs heavier, 3" longer, and .5" larger in diameter. If you don't mind the extra weight, it offers 50% more air and is large enought to make a useful deco bottle which can help the resale value if you sell it. The bouyancy traits on the Luxfer 30 are great in that they are back to being neutral when empty with a reg attached - a very nice trait for a deco or pony bottle. The Catalina 30 is less desireable as it is 2 lbs heavier and another 1/2 inch larger in diameter, and is another pound more negatively bouyant.

In short, if weight is a factor go with a Luxfer or Catalina 19, if 3.5 lbs won't cause problems, go with a Luxfer 30.

Regulator:

Regulator wise I am a big fan of simple unbalanced piston designs for pony bottles and deco bottles. I currently use Scubapro Mk 3's and Mk 200's on mine - including the original MK 3 I bought as my first regulator in 1983. They are extremely durable, very simple and very reliable. The design is great for emergancy use as it uses no high pressure o-rings in dynamic applications and has only 2 dynamic o-rings in the entire system.

Another nice thing about an unbalanced first stage is that even with a balanced second stage, the inhalation resistance increases noticeably when the tank pressure falls below about 300 psi, so you get ample warning that you are alomost out of gas - this allows you to maximize a safety stop without running the risk of having to do an out of air ascent from your safety stop even if you are not using an SPG.

The current Scubapro R190 and R295 second stage that are packaged with the MK 2 are fine for pony bottle use and will deliver good perfromace to 130 ft. For deco applications I prefer balanced second stages (given that on a deco dive you spend more time on the deco regs than on your primary and a very easy breathing rgulator is very nice to have.) I used older metal cased Scubapro Balanced Adjustables since they also have virtually no problems with dry mouth (which can be a problem if breathing aviation grade O2) but the new G250V with it's metal air barrel or the original old style G250 would also be a great choice and an SP dealer can order a MK 2 G250V combination from Scubapro.

There is the option to buy good used equipment and I am of the opinion that a properly maintained and serviced used regulator is often a much better inverstment than new equipment.

SPG:

There are three options.

1. No SPG - The logic here is that a pony is for emergency use only and should be checked at the surface prior to each dive. Since you know it is full and you will be ending the dive and immediately ascending to the surface, underwater knowledge of the contents of the pony is irrelevant. The downside is that you need to check the air on the surface which means having a dedicated tank pressure gauge or alternatively hooking up your primary system prior to each dive - which over the course of numerous dives can use a fair amount of air limiting what you will have if/when you need it (another argument for a 19 versus a 13).

2. A normal SPG on a short 6 or 7" hose, if carried as a slung pony or on a normal lenght hose if tank mounted. - This allows you to readily see the remaining tank pressure under water but adds an additional hose and additional mechanical complexity in the form of another high pressure o-ring and the high pressure spool.

3. A button SPG on the first stage. - This allows easy (if not exactly plus or minus 100 psi precision) confirmation of the tank pressure prior to the dive with no gas loss and with reduced complexity (no hose and no HP spool to fail and leak) underwater. It is a bit hard to read underwater on a slung pony and is impossible to read on a tank mounted pony. But it does offer a reasonable compromise between a full blown SPG and no SPG and the cost is inexpensive at about $35-$40.

DIN or Yoke connection:

My preference is DIN regardless of whether the pony is tank mounted or back mounted as it is both more secure and less prone to snagging on line, etc. Go with a 232 BAR convertible DIN/K valve and keep the yoke insert in the valve when you travel to ensure you can get it filled at your destination.

sytech:

Sy

Personally I have a 19 cuft pony that I have on my main al80.(At the time I bought mine,there was only a 5 dollar difference between a 13 and 19.And they did not have a 13 in stock.They had the 19)That is just my preference since I am a firefighter and used to it being there.What you need to do once you get one is to experiment under controlled situations on where to mount it and how etc.see what works for you.Then practice with it.
I have a reg with a longer hose and also an spg to keep tabs on how much air is left.
As far as traveling with a pony,the regs as of this week state that you can carry one onboard as long as it is no longer sealed so the inspectors can look inside.If you send it checked it needs to be open also.Thats the short version.Check the TSA website as they often change pages and redo things.Like someone else said on the board, if you travel with it,make sure you take a recent (as in the day you are traveling recent) printed copy of the TSA rules with you if you have an issue at the airport.

Thalassamania:
Spare airs are perfect for what they were designed for, escaping from a crashed helicopter at sea.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

It would also be good in the car if you go into water. That extra time makes getting out so much easier.

Not really very useful for diving.

I have 19 cuf and very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_7354_resize.JPG
    IMG_7354_resize.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 56
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom