Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chickdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I read an article the other day that started me thinking- which led to a little experiment...

The premise of the article is that the majority of Americans have weight issues due to a couple of factors:

1. We eat too much, too fast.

2. We consume a lot of processed, fat free, "psuedo food"

3. we don't get enough exercise.

In the article, it chronicled the eating habits of an average American woman and an average Frenchwoman, then had them trade places. Guess what- though she was consuming full fat cheeses, dessert, etc. the American lost weight on the Frenchwoman's diet and the Frechwoman gained on the American's. Some stragtegies put forth were to do the following:

1. eat real meals, with courses (especially a salad course) of fresh seasonal foods. Have a glass of wine. Enjoy the meal and eat slowly, at the table. No between meal snacking.

2. skip the processed, fat free, "psuedo food" in favor of the real deal. The idea being that you will consume less as it is more satisfying.

So.... I decided to try a little experiment myself. Instead of my usual routine, I've been eating this way the last week- I don't know if I have lost anything- but I'm eating a LOT less (even with my cardio intensive workouts).

A good example was yesterday :

Breakfast:
1 crumpet with real butter and some strawberry preserves, 2% milk (sorry- I just can't stomache the "real" real thing- it tastes weird to me!)

Lunch:
A palm of the hand sized chunck of whole wheat french bread and fontina cheese and an apple.

Dinner:
salad of feild greens, cherry tomaotes, cucumber, kalamata olives with a bit of olive oil; beef ravioli (like 3 raviolis are all I can eat!) with marinara sacue and parmesan, a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.

No snacks, tea and water to drink. Now, contrast this to my usual, protien shake breakfast, Lean Cuisine lunch and chicken or something dinner with a mid morning and mid afternoon snack. Eating the "usual" way I am ALWAYS hungry. I haven't been hungry betwen meals, and I could probably have an even smaller portion at dinner.

So what do you guys think? Is this nuts? I'd love to hear some opinions from non-Americans too!

Thanks,
Heather

I think this is very interesting. It seems to make sense. I never thought all the fat free processed stuff was any good..but I do buy it.
Let us know when you weigh in (tomorrow?)
Even if you don't lose weight, it has to be healthier.

Having a glass of wine during breakfast might make things more interesting at work. :wink: I like the idea of eliminating processed food.

Rofl- there are days I could use that. Wonder if champagne and orange juice counts as a breakfast beverage?

Although I do buy a lot of fat free food, I usually get things that are naturally fat free like fruits and veggies. Cutting out a lot of fat helped me loose my weight and keep it off, but now I can 'cheat' like once a week or so and not gain any weight.

I do believe in the eating slow. Makes your body work more. Eating with chop sticks is a good way to eat slow. I even used chop sticks eating pop corn the other day.

I just heard Randy Jackson of American Idol judge fame, speak the other day. He has had his stomach stapled.

He said the one major change is how slow he must eat his food, and chew each piece so well..or else..well you know the or else..

Here's what I had yesterday:

Breakfast: 4 cups of strong coffee, sweetened with 1/2 pack of Equal. Whole wheat bagel, nothing on it

Lunch: 2 medium sized apples

Dinner: 1 medium sized apple and a Diet Coke

I also went indoor rock climbing for 1 1/2 hours in between lunch and dinner.

Mind you, I don't do this all the time, I couldn't survive. However, I used to weigh 227 lbs and I weigh 167 now.

Mel

melfox26:
Here's what I had yesterday:

Breakfast: 4 cups of strong coffee, sweetened with 1/2 pack of Equal. Whole wheat bagel, nothing on it

Lunch: 2 medium sized apples

Dinner: 1 medium sized apple and a Diet Coke

I also went indoor rock climbing for 1 1/2 hours in between lunch and dinner.

Mind you, I don't do this all the time, I couldn't survive. However, I used to weigh 227 lbs and I weigh 167 now.

Mel

It's kind of like an english muffin. Pretty tasty.

Back
Top Bottom