Opinions wanted by Tech divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
I don't want to start a heated debate by any means, but I would like to comment that all it takes is one bad service tech or a missed o-ring and it willnot likely cause a problem until the ip is increased like at depth.

I agree that the service tech could have truly been the root cause. I am not sure why the 1st stage would be more likely to have problems with an increased IP...

rescuediver009:
As for the story about the exploding first stage, I am by no means calling it BS, but it is not even up to the dealer to give the guy a warranty or his money back for that matter.

If I didn't personally know the diver (a Physician), the buddy (an Instructor), and the service technician, I would question the validity of the incident as well.

I said DISTRIBUTOR not dealer. In the U.S. Aqualung distributes Apeks gear, they were the ones who (according to the service tech) said it was his fault and weren't giving the diver anything.

All of that being said, I still dive my ATX-200 and let it stay at that explanation. However, when I saw another post indicating at personal encounter with an 1st stage that 'let go', I wanted to hear more.

Bad luck with a crappy LDS I guess. Mine is the opposite side of the spectrum. Aqualung also distributes Apeks here, and my LDS would take it and get the diver a new one. I guess it depends on the relationship between the diver and the store and the store and the distributor. Also on what they are willing to do for the customer. I wonder if the term 'exploded' was slightly elaboarated? I agree that the problem was due to the increased IP. As you know the Apeks increases the IP as you descend, it was probably a problem that did not present itself at 140psi. And it was only a matter of time/depth/ip until the reg couldn't take anymore.

Can I ask you about this set up?

Apeks Black Pearl, Egress Octo as well as single contents gauge. I've got an option of getting this for a bargin price{£345.00}

Would like your view on these and also about price.

Cheers.

As for the stories about one "exploding" ..............hell if Apeks were that bad why have a fair few makers used there regs and rebadged them as their own????? No company is perfect but it seems as though they produce a well supported and loved reg with a great history and pedigry!:eyebrow:

http://www.apeks.co.uk/home_frameset.htm

Apeks does indeed make excellent equipment. I find that it is very reliable for the cold waters that I dive. Also very easy to service or have serviced. I do believe that there may be a better price for this regulator sertup however. Unless you have neglected to mention that there is a gauge console and bcd whip included. I don't know if the regulators are more expensive there or not, but there are better deals I think.

rescuediver009:
Apeks does indeed make excellent equipment. I find that it is very reliable for the cold waters that I dive. Also very easy to service or have serviced. I do believe that there may be a better price for this regulator sertup however. Unless you have neglected to mention that there is a gauge console and bcd whip included. I don't know if the regulators are more expensive there or not, but there are better deals I think.
Single console gauge and retractor clip is included along with the pearl and egress. Othere than that.....you haven't seen any online reviews have you???? in particular on the black pearl and egress????

Cheers

Morg_NZ:
Single console gauge and retractor clip is included along with the pearl and egress. Othere than that.....you haven't seen any online reviews have you???? in particular on the black pearl and egress????

Cheers

There weren't reviews here on either one:
The black pearl is not a new reg it is just an Apeks ATX200 with different appearance. No performance enhancements.

As for the Egress its release was delayed in north america and we have thus not yet seen it.

Sorry for my earlier mistake. I must have made and error converting the price. This is a pretty good price. It is about the same as things over here. It is not the best deal in the world like the online prices but you get a warranty and the service of a dealer which is good. I would go for it.

Morg_NZ:
Whats the best tech reg out there at the momment?

Some say the Mare others say apeks..............what's your view and ideas?
I am a huge Poseidon Odin (jetstream) fan... Personally I think Odins are the best regs out there... I have a couple and have had them deep, ice diving, and in Lake Superior and I have never had any sort of problem. I also have a Mares MR22 Abyss, which I just love as well. But my money os on the Odin for "tech" diving...

T
the one thing that I don't like about the X-treme's is that you cannot adjust the intermediate pressure very esaily...
The new "multi-port" Xstream 1sts are indeed easily adjustable, & Poseidon even throws in the allen wrench so you can tweak away to your heart's content.

That ball bearing HP seat is a thing of beauty... I have a cutaway diagram of the critter hanging on the wall next to my MkV. :crafty:

Check 'em out: http://www.dyk-brand.se/images/xstream1.jpg

scubapro50:
before you buy any regulator please read the thread "dumped on by dive companies again" .... a story of how Dacor/Mares are no longer supporting thier products ....
Big deal, Scubapro does not longer support older Uwatec computer...........

Morg_NZ:
Can I ask you about this set up?

Apeks Black Pearl, Egress Octo as well as single contents gauge. I've got an option of getting this for a bargin price{£345.00}

Would like your view on these and also about price.

Cheers.

As for the stories about one "exploding" ..............hell if Apeks were that bad why have a fair few makers used there regs and rebadged them as their own????? No company is perfect but it seems as though they produce a well supported and loved reg with a great history and pedigry!:eyebrow:

http://www.apeks.co.uk/home_frameset.htm
Actually Apeks has only started producing decent regs since they started the Tx series. Before that they were just plain crapp. So the great history and pedigree isn't that old :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom