Opinions: Rock boots vs attached boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkCoffee:
Still here, just listening.

Although slightly peeling away from the sole, the turbos are still air tight on this suit in spite of the nicks and dabs of AquaSeal. While putting them on is not too difficult, removing them is a pain. Given the condition of the heels this must have been an issue with the previous owner of the suit as well. I'm guessing the attached boots option is not going to be much different.

Sounds like if I go with the rock boots I had better be extra careful about fit/sizing.

The option of an attached sock with wetsuit boots wasn't something I considered.

Since you're from Manitoba, it's safe to assume you'll occasionally dive in water temps below 40 F (4 C), so you might be served well to go one size oversize on Rockboots.

The extra room is important to avoid constriction of blood vessels in the foot, especially when you're wearing a couple thick layers of socks, like I do. The extra room means your insulation will retain much of its loft, too.

Surprisingly, the extra room doesn't pose a problem when you switch back to thinner socks for warm water. I just adjust the laces to get a perfect fit and good ankle support.

Wearing a wetsuit boot instead of a Rockboot will probably be colder, since it will probably be tighter to stay on. Tight equals cold feet. Might be okay down to 50 F (10 C), but not much lower. It certainly won't add much insulating value, since water will probably flush in and out too easily.

Just a side note, I used to wear wetsuit boots inside my Turbosoles to get better ankle support and warmth. Still, that was never as warm as my current method of wearing oversize Rockboots with added layers and a loose fit.

Going oversize by one full size has allowed me to use two thick layers of socks (Weezle and wool). That combination kept my feet warm for most of two hours in 32 F (0 C) saltwater on one occasion. Really.

Another possible benefit of the looseness is that is allows more air exchange, so the socks stay drier, I believe. Drier is definitely warmer. :D

Dave C

With my drysuit, I have soft socks in neopren and very good rockboot, Whites EVO3 : http://www.whitesdiving.com/index.php?site=4&id=111&cid=481 If I have to buy another drysuit (DUI by exemple), I'll keep the same type of boot.

Never experience any problem with it in cold water (Quebec area, Canada) with one size over (compare to my normal shoes size). Fit perfect with fin too :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom