Opinions: Rock boots vs attached boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear Rockboots one full size larger than my shoe size.

The "socks" on my drysuit are a couple inches longer than the minimum I would need.

Unless laced too tightly, the oversized Rockboots and suit "socks" have plenty of room for a second pair of insulating socks and plenty of room for any folds.

Laced loosely, I find them very flexible while still providing good ankle support.

As far as sand getting into the boots, I've found only a few grains get into the boots after crossing about 100' of loose, deep sand. It's not like climbing Sahara sand dunes, so it's only minor problem for me. Could be a significant problem for some, I suppose. :)

Dave C

Like anything it goes without saying, whether you choose rock boots, turbo soles, or wetsuit boots over drysocks (had not thought of that one), the most important thing is fit. If possible try them out with the thermal protection you will wear 99% of the time and go with what is most comfortable (in AND out of the water). I dove 13 years with turbo soles and just switched to rock boots, I have a great fit with my setup so no complaints here, although I only have a few rock boot dives under my belt compared to the turbo soles.. time will tell for me,

I would have to say go with rockboots but try some wetsuti booties too. You dont have to wear extra insulation and they are significantly cheaper. And will fit your fins.

Wetsuit bootie were what I used for years.
I use a hard boot now.

I have not really looked a Rock Boots for a while but if they still lace up...would not be for me because an entanglement hazard. I once played around with a running shoe over my wetsuit boots to fill a particular fin without my drysuit,sure as S*** while I was on a traing platform with a student I got hung up.

Ron

RJP:
I have the turbo soles and would literally quit diving if you told me I had to switch back to Rockboots.

I was never able to get comfortable in Rockboots, I found that no matter what the built-in sock folded and wrinkled all wrong, and the seam just always seemed to land right on top of one of my toes in a way that hurt like hell.

(Note: 99% of my diving involves walking 10' to the back of the boat with my fins on, so wear and tear isn't an issue.)
I agree with you that a big sock is a PITA. My rockboot socks are indeed too big for my foot and way annoying... and not entirely comfortable. I may see if I can get a smaller sock at some point for that reason.

That said, I find it a LOT easier to dive than wearing boots that can allow air to fill them up. And they're GREAT for shore diving with sand, contrary to what another poster said. Sure some sand gets in there, but so what? Sand always got in my wetsuit's booties, too, why should this be different? I realize no sand would get anywhere but the outside with an attached boot, but hey, when you're shore diving, you're gonna have to deal with sand. Some sand on/in my rock boots, that I can't even feel due to a couple layers between my feet and the shoe, is the least of my concerns.

It's the sand in there that causes abrasion against the drysuit sock. Then tiny holes appear and your feet start getting wet. Been there, done that.

My DV Boots are NOT floaty, and I can never leave them at home, or forget them on the boat. www.ossystems.com/repair/seals.html#dvb

If Rockboots are so great, why you always see them up for sale?

CompuDude:
...That said, I find it a LOT easier to dive than wearing boots that can allow air to fill them up. And they're GREAT for shore diving with sand, contrary to what another poster said. Sure some sand gets in there, but so what? Sand always got in my wetsuit's booties, too, why should this be different? I realize no sand would get anywhere but the outside with an attached boot, but hey, when you're shore diving, you're gonna have to deal with sand. Some sand on/in my rock boots, that I can't even feel due to a couple layers between my feet and the shoe, is the least of my concerns.

dannobee:
It's the sand in there that causes abrasion against the drysuit sock. Then tiny holes appear and your feet start getting wet. Been there, done that.

The CF200 material of those drysuit socks will take more than a few tiny holes on the surface to leak. That's why you can see CF200 drysuits with surface tears and no leaks. I'm surprised it happened so easily to you.

I wear my Rockboots kind of loose and after about 300 dives, I've worn away some surface material and threads on the seams from the drysuit socks. They look pretty scuffed up, but they don't leak. :)

dannobee:
If Rockboots are so great, why you always see them up for sale?

I'll gonna guess it's usually because people buy them in their shoe size, lace 'em down too tight and are surprised when they feel uncomfortable or cold.

Others might not take enough time to get used to something different.

A few may not like them because they're more complicated than attached boots.

Some people probably realized they just prefer attached boots after all. Nothing wrong with personal preference.

I'll have to admit there are a lot more used Rockboots for sale than used attached boots! :wink:

The Rockboots sell quick, though!

Dave C

I've had both Rock Boots and the integrated boots.

Rock Boots have a much thicker sole, which is very much appreciated walking through rocky parking lots. I hated being able to feel every rock through the soles of my Diving Concepts boots.

On the flip side, Integrated boots are much easier to get on. For me I have poor flexibility with bending my legs. So getting the Rock Boots on is tough, I manage but between the restrictions from the suit and poor flexibilty it can be a struggle. I guess I could take up Yoga.

If I could find a decent boot with a nice sole I would switch to that, but I haven't found one I like yet.

RPanick:
I've had both Rock Boots and the integrated boots.

Rock Boots have a much thicker sole, which is very much appreciated walking through rocky parking lots. I hated being able to feel every rock through the soles of my Diving Concepts boots.

On the flip side, Integrated boots are much easier to get on. For me I have poor flexibility with bending my legs. So getting the Rock Boots on is tough, I manage but between the restrictions from the suit and poor flexibilty it can be a struggle. I guess I could take up Yoga.

If I could find a decent boot with a nice sole I would switch to that, but I haven't found one I like yet.

Bob, maybe you've tried this, but you might find it easier to put on the Rockboots while the suit is still below your knees.

I do it that way to avoid overheating, but it might work for you, especially from a sitting position.

You're right, they're not as easy to put on as attached boots....and it gets harder every year. :)

Dave C

Still here, just listening.

Although slightly peeling away from the sole, the turbos are still air tight on this suit in spite of the nicks and dabs of AquaSeal. While putting them on is not too difficult, removing them is a pain. Given the condition of the heels this must have been an issue with the previous owner of the suit as well. I'm guessing the attached boots option is not going to be much different.

Sounds like if I go with the rock boots I had better be extra careful about fit/sizing.

The option of an attached sock with wetsuit boots wasn't something I considered.

Back
Top Bottom