Opinions on three wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been looking for an inexpensive wetsuit and I have come across three options. There is someone in town that will sell two Parkway Titanium one in 7mm and one in 5mm. He will let them go for 120 for the set. I can't find a lot about the brand I thought maybe you guys would have an opinion.

The second is a pinnacle 7mm merino lined jumpsuit. I don't think it is the Elastiprene version. He says its been used only a few times. I'm not able to look at it right now because its about 230 miles away. I'll be able to check it out then. He wants 125.

The last one is a 2 piece 7mm farmer john wetsuit. I believe its a Harvey (titanium?). Its used but still has the tags on it. He said the original cost is $490 and he wants $225. My biggest concern is that in the dead of summer the 14mm on the core is going to be too much. But at the same time it would be nice in early spring and fall.

I was figuring that with a 5mm or 5mm jumpsuit I could get a vest or a shorty for the colder months.

What do you guys think of these options. Particularly the first two...I think the harvey is too expensive unless you guys say its way too good to pass up. :wink:

Well...not knowing the parkway brand I would offer this suggestion:
If it were me I would jump on the set of parkways for $120.00. The big caveat being the type of stitch. Flatlock or blind stitch is fine but overlock is right out! Too uncomfortable and leaves welts and rub-rashes along the seams. Other than that I don't think you can go wrong with 7 & 5 for $120. (provided they fit, of course). The 7mm should be good in the spring and fall and the 5mm should be fine in the summer.
Also: the farmer jon 2-piece will add, maybe, 6-10 lbs to the lead on your belt (or BC) and, IMHO, doesn't do much of anything for additional warmth.
Here in Ohio I swtiched from a two-piece (@6.5mm) farmer jon / shorty (long sleeve) to a one piece 7mm and can note the following differences: 1) I dropped 8lbs lead from my belt, and 2) I was actually warmer in the one piece (better quality wetsuit than the rental farmer Jon I had been using).

Just my thoughts...If it is flatlock or better (i.e blind-stitch), I would jump on the Parkway set...again presuming they fit

Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that would be the best option as well. I never thought about looking at the stitching. I just did some research and I think I know enough about it to tell what type of stitch I don't want. I'm going to try it on tomorrow, my biggest concern is its an XXL and I usually need closer to an XL. And....like everyone always says, I'm trying to get into shape. I'm wondering if it makes sense to buy now or not, but I'm sick of only renting a wetsuit.

You can buy brand new for less. Sea Elite 7mm wetsuits @ divers-supply.com or Tilos wetsuits @ houseofscuba.com.
I don't know these suits, but if they fit you may be a winner. If they not - check return policy first.

But I can't get both a 5mm and a 7mm suit for that price. At least not that I can find.

You can buy brand new for less. Sea Elite 7mm wetsuits @ divers-supply.com or Tilos wetsuits @ houseofscuba.com.
I don't know these suits, but if they fit you may be a winner. If they not - check return policy first.

No one else has any opinions on these suites?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom