Opinions on my purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on the gear I purchased and what’s good or bad. I paid $650 for everything and am going in with the assumption I overpaid due to lack of knowledge which again I admit was not smart. I’m less concerned about the deal and more concerned with assuming it’s in working order did I get decent starting equipment that I can build on slowly while still getting experience. Anyhelp would be much appreciated!

Buying used scuba gear is a lot like buying a used car. If it was well taken care of, you can really get a great deal and the gear (or car) can give you years of reliable service. And people that don't know anything about cars will naturally be concerned that they don't know how to evaluate a used car.

Looks like the gear you bought was well taken care of, serviced properly and used regularly (instead of sitting in a closet for years.) For what you paid, you got a great deal. Now go get certified and put it to use!

Make a point to learn more about what gear you will need for the diving you intend to do. Post more questions here on SB. And if you're asking for everyone's personal opinion, be sure to take all responses with a bit of salt.

I would also say you did pretty well. Once you do class and get some dives in you will get a feel for any changes you might like to make - or not. Everyone will have a different opinion!

Based on what you paid, and what you got, you did very well. If the BCD fits, and the wetsuits fit, you came out like a champ.

I will echo the several comments about the Air II - replace it with a standard alternate air source (do not replace it with a cheap, needless detuned 'octo' - go ahead and purchase a good second stage, and hose, and install it).

Other than that, dDive the gear, decide if there is anything that you don't care for, and address that issue later.

You made a great bargain, in my opinion.
As others already suggested, add a standard octo, but keep the Air2: it is a good additional safety...
The point is that you cannot use the Air2 for giving air to your buddy. It is just for you.
So if your buddy needs air, you should give him/her your S550 and switch yourself to the Air2.
This is called "primary donate", and most agencies do not suggest this, particularly now due to concerns about Covid-19 transmission.
Buy an R95 for being donated to your buddy (possibly cheap), and keep your Air2 for additional safety for you.

Regarding fins: in my opinion they are a very personal thing, they must fit your legs, exactly as the mask must fit your face.
People have different preferences, but often they choose fins only because "tech divers use this type of fins", or for other equally unreasonable motivations.
I used at least 10 types of different fins before finding the ones which are perfect for me. So be prepared to try various types, before finding the ones which are good for you.

The point is that you cannot use the Air2 for giving air to your buddy. It is just for you.
So if your buddy needs air, you should give him/her your S550 and switch yourself to the Air2.
This is called "primary donate", and most agencies do not suggest this, particularly now due to concerns about Covid-19 transmission.
I’m not sure if anything has changed post-Covid, but my experience with the agencies differs. I’m not an instructor, but have been through 4 separate OW courses. Only the very first (PADI 1990) did not teach primary donate. The rest (NAUI/YMCA/CMAS 1997, SSI 2015 & 2018) all taught primary donate.

Naui has just adopted new policies for avoiding the "primary donate" issue with COVID-19: NAUI Training Bulletin – NAUI Blog
Also DAN specifically states to avoid donating the regulator from which you are breathing:
https://www.daneurope.org/c/documen...b88-05a1-408a-8e2b-b408af49c6b0&groupId=10103
So yes, unfortunately COVID-19 required most organizations to change their policies and training methods.
I think that for a beginner, at the moment, it is better to learn having a true octo available, and to use it for donating air to his buddy.

I envy the colour of your split fins. At least they are not black :D

It's a nice purchase. If the split fins feel good and work well for you, then keep them. If they cause difficulties then try some other fins. Having several pairs of fins is not a problem. I own two pairs of fins for different situations (and a third pair, my first, that I do not use anymore). You need to use one type of fin only during your first dives though, because you are only learning to dive.

Split fins tend to cause discussion for a number of reasons. Split fins can cause problems in cave diving, wreck diving, decompression diving, underwater photography and possibly in other advanced forms of diving. Why? It's hard to reverse and the fin can get caught in a guide line. Neither of these issues is really relevant on a first diving course. You just need something that feels good. Split fins have benefits too, or so have I been told.

ps. your regulator seems to have a HUGE mouth piece? It looks a lot bigger than e.g. an Apeks mouth piece.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom