Opinions on Mt. Pinatubo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jefffalcone

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm headed for the Philippines in 9 days. I'll be spending the first part of my trip on a Tubahata liveaboard, then explore northern palawan, and do some wreck diving in coron. I have ten days after the liveaboard. I'm kind of interested in heading back towards Manila a few days early and climbing Mt. Pinatubo. The things holding me back are:
1.) I'm reluctant to bring my camping gear in addition to my diving gear. (holy overweight fees)
2.) I'm afraid I might be spreading myself too thin.

On the other hand, the pictures I've seen of Pinatubo look pretty spectacular.

What do you guys think? Should I try to squeeze in a few days trekking up Pinatubo or should I save it for another trip and spend the whole ten days exploring palawan, or maybe some other diving.

Any help would be appreciated. There is so much I want to see in the Philippines, it's a little hard to narrow it down.

Also if any of you would like to join me for a dive, I'll be around from march 21 - april 1(mostly Palawan area, but not set in stone), and I love to make new friends.:D

Thanks,
Jeff

since you got your dive gear with you, i think more diving...

mt pinatubo is a day climb if am not mistaken. if you want a couple of days up in the mountains, try Sagada, Banaue or Batad. Again, no need for camping gears as inns are available. but if you want the highest peak in luzon, that should be mt. pulag. camping gear needed. or if you go down to puerto galera, there's always mt halcon also camping gear needed.

i think more diving... hehehe

i was in malapascua and the threshers are amazing. umm... wait, you're going to tubbataha, if you don't see threshers there, then better head to malapascua. but i think tubbataha will shark you out... =D

camping AND dive gear??? i know what you mean about overweight...

i can put you in touch with a mountain guide (he climbed everest so should be good at what he does) but IMHO you can just as easily spend your time w/o a pack on your back exploring the rest of the country... palawan, maybe a nearby province or 2 before going back to manila

Jag

"Opinions on Mt. Pinatubo"?

it blows...

:joke:

I'd probably split the trips due to the luggage issues unless you can find a place to rent some camping gear locally.

I think there are 4x4 trips or bike rentals to go up pinatubo, so you don't have to take camping gear

since you got your dive gear with you, i think more diving...

mt pinatubo is a day climb if am not mistaken. if you want a couple of days up in the mountains, try Sagada, Banaue or Batad. Again, no need for camping gears as inns are available. but if you want the highest peak in luzon, that should be mt. pulag. camping gear needed. or if you go down to puerto galera, there's always mt halcon also camping gear needed.

i think more diving... hehehe

i was in malapascua and the threshers are amazing. umm... wait, you're going to tubbataha, if you don't see threshers there, then better head to malapascua. but i think tubbataha will shark you out... =D

Mt. Pinatubo is 8 hours hike each way, according to what I've read, so it is a very tough day hike. I'd be camping because I enjoy camping, not for lack of alternative. Anyway, I think you guys have talked me out of it.

Mt. Pinatubo is 8 hours hike each way, according to what I've read, so it is a very tough day hike. I'd be camping because I enjoy camping, not for lack of alternative. Anyway, I think you guys have talked me out of it.
can i talk you into a rolex?

abc_street_mexico.jpg

Jag

Jeff I just came back from Mt. Pinatubo. You can do a day trip going up the volcano. Jeep is P3500 +P300 guide etc. Have to bring lots of H2O and pack lunch.

You have an option to do the 3hr hike or the 1.5hr hike. Don't believe them that it's only 40mins hike unless you are an experienced mountaineer.

Camping is not allowed in the volcano as military trains there. There's a training with US military in 2 weeks so the park will be closed. They actually do a live bombing in the area... it's called 'Crow Valley' by the US Airforce. Actually, most allied airforce come over here to do their practice bomb runs.

4X4 starts at 5AM to avoid the summer heat. Bring swim gear as you can swim in the lake.

PM me if you need contact with the 4X4 guys... I think you can share this ride with others to cut on cost...

Here are some shots I took...

2353658093_eed636b54b.jpg

2354463292_05a9d3127c.jpg

2354475388_62280e34ef.jpg

i'd like the details please - I'm adding that to my list of to-dos...any recommended time of year better than another?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom