Opinions on "downgrading" sidemount regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

f my memory is correct the only difference in breathing comes from the tuning of the 2nd stage. That would again make DFC marketing BS. So hard to decide
DFC does not facilitate breathing. It just counteracts the IP-drop when starting to breathe. Your work of breathing is determined by the cracking effort (work needed to open the valve; depends on the spring strength and distance of the poppet seat and the valve) and the breathing resistance (put in simple terms maximal potential opening of the valve).

Best wishes Jens

Noone has mentioned it yet, but, servo assist systems allow for upside down orientation and are way more resistant to free flow. Some folks dislike the feeling of their cracking behavior, I’ve liked it so far.

Valtman, sent you a private message.

Hello again!

Forgot to post photos earlier so here we go, this is what Abyss 12S sidemount regs look like. I'm pretty happy with the result. A 40 cm inflator hose seems to be about right, maybe 30 - 35 cm would be even better. The drysuit hose is nowhere to be seen (except in 1st photo) so I'll have to make sure to have the hose in hand when doing the bungees, they could be hard to pull out afterwards. With gloves on and not seeing what you're doing...

The regs aren't rubbing against my armpits/man boobs which was one of the goals, and they don't even look half bad sticking up like that. All other goals are achieved automatically - being lighter than DSTs, not over-balanced and Abyss not having any adjustment knobs. Next I'll tear everything to pieces, see what they look like inside, re-build and try to adjust them to breathe as beautifully as my BM Abyss 22 does.

And then after a six month surface interval, as soon as I get my new suit, I think I should actually try the setup in water. If there's anything to report from that in water session I'll let you know. :cool:

Valtteri

IMG_20240919_223858.jpg
IMG_20240919_222710.jpg
IMG_20240919_222757.jpg
IMG_20240919_223301.jpg
IMG_20240919_223323.jpg

That is a very good looking set-up.

I am not really thrilled with how hoses run from 5th ports on my body and I'm thinking about trying some different routing using longer ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom