opinions on air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For AI, I don't see anything as an issue except that you may suffer from data overload.

Data overload? I'm confused. What data overload? :idk:A typical AI computer has the following readouts: pressure, depth, bottom time, temperature (maybe on the same display or maybe on an alternate display), nitrogen loading, oxygen loading (when set on Nitrox mode), ascend rate. Exactly the same as any non-AI computer.

Data overload? I'm confused. What data overload? :idk:A typical AI computer has the following readouts: pressure, depth, bottom time, temperature (maybe on the same display or maybe on an alternate display), nitrogen loading, oxygen loading (when set on Nitrox mode), ascend rate. Exactly the same as any non-AI computer.

Yeah but you're forgetting that other thing..the one over in the upper right hand corner...it's always so hard to read and on so many dives I look at it and spend valuable time trying to figure it out...let me go look at it now that I'm thinking about it while it's easier to see..

OH it was just dirt

NEVERMIND

2.gif

For those people that claim they can do air consumption rate calculations in their heads while they dive, please share this knowledge.

Let me know how I am suppose to be recalculating in my head algebraic equations while diving.

Square profile, single depth diving with pre-calculated air management is one thing. But doing calculations in your head while doing multi-level recreational diving? I'd like to see it to believe it.

For the OP, air integrated dive computers are NOT a NECESSITY. Actually dive computers are not necessities at all. You just need a timing device, a depth gauge, pressure gauge and your dive tables. But dive computers help maximize your bottom time by making constant and updated calculations of No Decompression Limit (NDL) bottom time for you. Air integrated computers not only calculate NDL bottom time for you but also bottom time based on your air consumption.

If you're 150-lbs, 18-years male who is a US Army infantryman with lungs of Arabian stallion, chances are you're not going to consume air as quickly as myself, 215-lbs, 43-years-old ex-infantryman with the belly of Buddha. So, do you really need to turn back and begin your ascend at 1000-psi like I do? or maybe you can last another 10-minutes underwater?

The air integrated computer does this calculation for you. Or you can do it "in your head", or maybe bringing a slate with you if you don't have mind like a steel trap and do algebraic calculations underwater. Don't get me wrong, the formulae for calculating air consumption rate and gas management are super easy. But it takes more than a simple "2x2 = 4" to calc them out.

I think the point is that you don't need to be doing constant calculations which is the only point of AI.

If you know your typical SAC rate under the general conditions of your current dive you know approximately how much air you will be using. If it's multi-level you still really only care about the deeper portions since once you get shallow you can more or less stay there all day anyway.

The AI predictions are only if you stay in the same spot as well. It's very up to date info but it may just be more info than is really needed.

With a non-AI you have depth, total runtime, NDL and whatever else you may have is small, out of the way and may or may not be useful. The big numbers are depth, runtime, and NDL.

With AI in general you either have a bigger display or smaller numbers and have air pressure in larger numbers as well as your predicted remaining air time and this has to be in a format so as to not be confused with NDL time or runtime. Predicted remaining air time is also only accurate if you stay at one depth.

It's not that it's not accurate as far as it goes but it only goes so far and it's just more info on a small screen so if it's not needed or wanted (by some) then why have it?

Other's don't mind this clutter or don't see it as clutter but that is the argument.

Predicted remaining air time is also only accurate if you stay at one depth.

WRONG

At least with my Oceanic VT Pro AI computer which constantly monitors tank pressure (as well as the other important stuff) and gives remaining dive time based on the most limiting factor..which is almost always gas pressure (in my case). I'm constantly amazed at how much remaining dive time I "get back" simply by ascending a relatively short distance.

With a non-AI you have depth, total runtime, NDL and whatever else you may have is small, out of the way and may or may not be useful. The big numbers are depth, runtime, and NDL.

With AI in general you either have a bigger display or smaller numbers and have air pressure in larger numbers as well as your predicted remaining air time and this has to be in a format so as to not be confused with NDL time or runtime. Predicted remaining air time is also only accurate if you stay at one depth.

It's not that it's not accurate as far as it goes but it only goes so far and it's just more info on a small screen so if it's not needed or wanted (by some) then why have it?

Other's don't mind this clutter or don't see it as clutter but that is the argument.

What small screen? My Wisdom 2's screen is big enough to play IMAX movie on.

It doesn't show remaining air time AND NDL time. It shows ONE remaining bottom time depending on which takes precedence - NDL, O2 (Nitrox dive) or remaining air.

It calculates your air time based on your consumption at any depth and any rate. If you were kicking against a 2-knots current at 60-ft depth, it will tell you how much bottom time you have because you're now sucking air like a locomotive. If you were to rise to 30-ft and the current drops off to zero, then it will recalculate bottom time based on your new air consumption rate.

It shows ONE remaining bottom time depending on which takes precedence - NDL, O2 (Nitrox dive) or remaining air.

It calculates your air time based on your consumption at any depth and any rate. If you were kicking against a 2-knots current at 60-ft depth, it will tell you how much bottom time you have because you're now sucking air like a locomotive. If you were to rise to 30-ft and the current drops off to zero, then it will recalculate bottom time based on your new air consumption rate.

And THAT ^^ is what is so very cool about an Air Integrated computer.

Anytime you can eliminate a hose, it can't be bad. Personally love AI computers.

Anytime you can eliminate a hose, it can't be bad. Personally love AI computers.

Yup. Down to no hoses now:

I originally had 4, let's countdown...

3- Gauges: hose replaced by the AI Computer
2- Octopus: replaced by the BCD Air 2
1- Autoinflator on BCD: who needs an autoinflate when you've got good lungs, Jaq Cousteau didn't have one and he did just fine
0- Regulator hose: Mounting the tank on my stomach lets me breathe directly off the valve, and I'm trying to figure out a way to screw my Spare Air reg right to the top of the tank for better gas exchange

Hey don't knock it til you try it!

I might look funny but I can out swim all of ya!

What small screen? My Wisdom 2's screen is big enough to play IMAX movie on.

As I said it either has smaller numbers or a bigger screen (and therefore it's a bigger computer than it need to be).

It doesn't show remaining air time AND NDL time. It shows ONE remaining bottom time depending on which takes precedence - NDL, O2 (Nitrox dive) or remaining air.

I understand that and that's why I said that the prediction is for where you are at the moment so if you are at 100 fsw it may say you only have 10 minutes but that's only if you were planning to stay there for 10 minutes. If you are planning to be there for 5 minutes and then plan to go to 50 feet that doesn't mean much. When you get to 50 fsw of course it will now say you have 20 minutes or whatever.

I think it creates a non-thinking diver in some sense. If you want to stay at 100fsw until your computer tells you you have no more air so you then go up to 50 fsw and it now tells you that you now have 20 minutes that's fine but it doesn't seem like the best way to dive to me.

I realize that you can be a thinking diver and have AI but in most cases then it won't be of any use then.

I could have a computer in my car that told me how long my gas would last at my present speed as opposed to just having a gas guage but I don't find that particularly useful either.

Back
Top Bottom