opinions on air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went for the AI and dropped the SPG from my rig for about 2 years. I got more serious about diving and found it best to have redundant systems, especially when diving deep. I added my SPG back to my rig. When wearing 7mm gloves I tend to use it more often than my AI to check my PSI.

Hard to beat the Oceanic Data Pro Plus II and the company that stands behind it! Mine has close to a 1000 dives on it and all is good! Down loadable, Nitrox, and easy to read!

remember, there's both AI and hoseless AI.

For AI, I don't see anything as an issue except that you may suffer from data overload.

For hoseless AI, the lost link is a recurring issue. I had an early generation Oceanic that lost it's link very very regularly. I know dive a Scubapro SmartTec that only looses link after I'm on the boat, taken off my gear, and am walking away from it.

The Oceanic is far easier to manipulate the settings, but Scubapro's external one via IR allows for much more detailed insight/change. I found that both downloads were not simple, and could take moer that one attempt.

Find which factors above are relevent to you, and focus on that.

When dive computers first came out people called them death machines, when wireless air intergration came out almost the same, most likely because they got stung so badly calling computers bad they had to scale it back a bit to be taken serious.

When it comes to using a wireless air intergrated computer the people that can't set the time on their microwave ovens might not be the best people to listen to. Also don't ask them if they managed to record that episode of whatever they couldn't get home to watch either.

When it comes to using a wireless air intergrated computer the people that can't set the time on their microwave ovens might not be the best people to listen to. Also don't ask them if they managed to record that episode of whatever they couldn't get home to watch either.

When the power goes out I have to go check the manual for my microwave oven to set the clock.

My AI computer? I know it like the back of my hand.

You know, I have to look at the manual myself too, but I know how to set the time. RTFM

I have been using hoseless gas integration since one of the earliest models, the US Divers Monitor 3, came out in the mid '90s, if I recall correctly. Those early models did indeed have frequent transmission problems, especially when strobes were cycling nearby. With my last few computers, the Aladin Air-X and Air-Z Nitrox, and the Suunto D9, I have never noticed a failure to transmit tank data (the Aladins did have other issues, though), even in the constant presence of cycling strobes. I would not hesitate to use my Suunto D9 as my only source of tank pressure data, but I do use a backup analog submersible pressure gauge.

About the only button I might press during the dive is the "backlight" button, and that's fairly easy, even with the gloves on. I'm sure that's by design.

Don't forget switching gasses!

For those people that claim they can do air consumption rate calculations in their heads while they dive, please share this knowledge.

Let me know how I am suppose to be recalculating in my head algebraic equations while diving.

Square profile, single depth diving with pre-calculated air management is one thing. But doing calculations in your head while doing multi-level recreational diving? I'd like to see it to believe it.

For the OP, air integrated dive computers are NOT a NECESSITY. Actually dive computers are not necessities at all. You just need a timing device, a depth gauge, pressure gauge and your dive tables. But dive computers help maximize your bottom time by making constant and updated calculations of No Decompression Limit (NDL) bottom time for you. Air integrated computers not only calculate NDL bottom time for you but also bottom time based on your air consumption.

If you're 150-lbs, 18-years male who is a US Army infantryman with lungs of Arabian stallion, chances are you're not going to consume air as quickly as myself, 215-lbs, 43-years-old ex-infantryman with the belly of Buddha. So, do you really need to turn back and begin your ascend at 1000-psi like I do? or maybe you can last another 10-minutes underwater?

The air integrated computer does this calculation for you. Or you can do it "in your head", or maybe bringing a slate with you if you don't have mind like a steel trap and do algebraic calculations underwater. Don't get me wrong, the formulae for calculating air consumption rate and gas management are super easy. But it takes more than a simple "2x2 = 4" to calc them out.

I was digging out bugs in Key West a few years ago and one of the control buttons on my oceanic data plus II must have caught on a rock during the scufle and poped out . that unit bit the dust. Shallows in the Keys....no real problem.
So things can happen to them that may never occur to SPG. But they are fun.

Now addicted to AI , I got a wisdom [old people like me need big #s on the face or we cant see them]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom