Opinion of OMS tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, you should be getting cylinders that fit the style of diving you are doing. Using E8-130's for reef dives, or shore dives in rec depths is overkill. Not to mention lugging around all that extra gas and weight. I have two sets of OMS 112's doubles, and a couple of E7-100's from PST, and Faber Hp-80's. I choose which tanks to use for the dive I am doing. That being said, I wont be buying anymore OMS cylinders. My next cylinder purchases will be Pressed Steel. I have dinged my tanks, rubbed off paint, and the bands have taken chunks of paint off of the cylinders, right down to bare metal. Every year that I take them apart for visual, same thing happens. So, I have to repaint them, get rid of the rust, and basically bring them back to life for use in salt water. I like the cylinders, they have a good height, good weight, good buoyancy characteristics, and plenty of gas for the dives that I do. I just hate the paint job.

Do yourself a favor, and get some PST cylinders.

I'm slow to equalize,my best time to about 45 feet is 5 mins.
After which I'm in pretty good shape. I'm 6'1/2 " I am considering the PST E120 for this reason as my descent time can be real slow, leaving me little time on the bottom ...how am I doin so far? I'm not absorbing much nitro on the way down so how about it? Secondly, Can U have the galvanize painted with automotive paint and clear coat?....I really don't care for sludge grey. I need a little fashion.. :crafty: Thanks 4 any help U can give.

D-Diver,OW

LUBOLD8431:
First of all, you should be getting cylinders that fit the style of diving you are doing. Using E8-130's for reef dives, or shore dives in rec depths is overkill. Not to mention lugging around all that extra gas and weight. I have two sets of OMS 112's doubles, and a couple of E7-100's from PST, and Faber Hp-80's. I choose which tanks to use for the dive I am doing. That being said, I wont be buying anymore OMS cylinders. My next cylinder purchases will be Pressed Steel. I have dinged my tanks, rubbed off paint, and the bands have taken chunks of paint off of the cylinders, right down to bare metal. Every year that I take them apart for visual, same thing happens. So, I have to repaint them, get rid of the rust, and basically bring them back to life for use in salt water. I like the cylinders, they have a good height, good weight, good buoyancy characteristics, and plenty of gas for the dives that I do. I just hate the paint job.

Do yourself a favor, and get some PST cylinders.

I prefer using HP 120-130's (last tank a PST HP-120) for a very simple reason. It costs no more to fill them than to fill an 80. I get two good dives (60 min or more) out of the 120's, so my air costs are about half that if I used an 80. Given the number of dives I do in a year, this adds up and pays for the extra cost of the larger capacity tank.

I have tried swimming my HP-120 up from 100+ feet with BCD evacuated as much as possible. I guess I've got strong legs because it wasn't a problem. Even if my tank valve failed (as has happened when debris clogged the tube), I have my pony to allow me to surface safely.

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom