Operators in San Pedro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silviae

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We will be going to San Pedro at Xmas for 9 days and plan to dive most days. I have been researching the operators there and it looks like Chuck & Robbie, Island Divers, Amigos del Mar, and Ecologic are the best ones. A few questions:

- Chuck & Robbie is highly rated on Tripadvisor, but not here. Any thought to why that is the case?

- What are the pros and cons of these operators?

- We are looking for an operator that is strong on safety, has good equipment, and has a good ratio DM to dive master. Ideally we'd like 4:1 ratio and are willing to pay for it. Which operators would fit this profile.

- We are staying at Ramon's. Would you dive with them?

If it matters, we are both nitrox and advanced certified, my husband has 200+ dives, I have maybe 60+.

Thanks!

Why not go to each shop (its just a nice walk up the beach to get to each of them) and check out whst you see, ask some questions, try to meet the crew you'd have if you picked them, etc. Which ever op you select will pick you up and drop you off. You'll most likely take your surface intervals on the dive ops dock. Ergo, if you find all things equal, there are advantages to diving with the operator in front of your hotel. That said, if you have any intention of doing the Blue Hole dive day or go out to Turneffe dive day, be sure to check out the boat you'll be taken on.

It's just that it's Xmas and most of them are booking up (a few already don't have spots). So, I would like to be covered. I agree that that's the best way, but most likely it won't work at Xmas.

Have you been to San Pedro? If so, what is your advice?

Hi there
I lived in San pedro and I've dived with all of Chuck & Robbie, Island Divers, Amigos del Mar, and Ecologic. If you're aiming to do the Blue Hole Amigos and Ecologic do it, the other two don't, and will book you with the latter two. Personally I prefer Ecologic, speaking as a woman i just like the friendliness of Ecologic over the boyz at Amigos. Good advice... go up the beach and check them out mid to late afternoon when the dms are back and they know who's diving where the next day. I have never dived with Ramons though I do know Rick S the manager there. not sure if they go to the Blue Hole. any way... you'll have a great time!
anna

To the OP, I'm unclear as to why you believe Chuck & Robbie's is not highly rated on Scubaboard. It is mentioned from time to time. TripAdvisor and Scubaboard attract different audiences. TripAdvisor is "review-oriented" which makes it easy to determine an overall rating (whether or not it is accurate is another matter). Scubaboard is "discussion-oriented" so you have to read through a lot of info. I've dove with both C&R and Ecologic. They are both great shops. I know nothing first hand about Ramon's, positive or negative. Your choice will likely come down to who has openings and how far you want to walk. Ramon's is just south of the airport terminal. All of the shops are at most a 10 minute walk up the beach. Ramon's may offer a package deal that could save you a little bit. In terms of the 4:1 ratio, that would likely depend on staff availability. You would still probably share the boat with another group so please remember that things like the overall dive time and dive plan would likely be influenced by the other parties on the boat.

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Yea, I agree with jlevine... I am diving this week with chuck and robbie based largely on comments in this forum! No complaints at all... Well except that there are not enough divers for an afternoon dive. Not sure the other ops are getting a 3rd dive either. DM's are great. Almost all repeat customers which imo says something about an op. We did the blue hole dive with amigos. massive boat. Also liked the dm's a lot. Both ops limit the dives to 45 minutes which is a bit short for my liking. We saw the ramons boat at the blue hole so if there are no negative's with them it might make sense for you to dive with them since they are right where you are staying.

Mbs, when you say dives are limited to 45 minutes, I'm confused. I dive with Amigos regularly and can't remember the last time I had a 45 minute dive unless I called it myself.

Well I only dove the 3dives with them on the blue hole trip. So maybe they are different on normal days. Dives 2 and 3 were planned for 45 minutes. chuck and robbie dive 1 80 ft 45 mins, dive 2 60 ft 45mins. The depths they were not strict on but@ 45 they signal up.

The Blue Hole daytrip on Amigos is run a bit more strictly due to over all timing of the entire day and distance should anyone be hurt. Regardless, I'm always one of the last out of the water so that may be why I'm getting another 5-10 minutes on the second and third dives.

Oh for sure... im always one of the last on boat. But I consider that part of the safety stop not the dive really. If you are saying that amigos will let you dive your computer that is good info to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom