operators/hotels in the keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to south florida for the middle to end of May. We will (probably, unless there is a smarter/cheaper option) fly into Miami (from the New York city area) and rent a car. We wanted to spend 3 or 4 days diving (probably in the Keys). I want to dive the Spiegel and want her to do her AOW wihile we are there. Could anyone suggest a good opperator to do this with (No cattle boats and good instructors) and some places where we could stay? Also, if any locals could recomend some interesting non dive related activities, that would be great.
Thank you very much and I will look forward to hearing your responces,
Stas

dive ops hms minnow, conch republic divers, blue water divers all get great reviews,

Is it possible to do some spearfishing in the keys and is there any shore diving to be had?
Thanks

stas:
Is it possible to do some spearfishing in the keys and is there any shore diving to be had?
Thanks
Spearfishing is possible south of Pennekamp Park, and over three miles offshore. Private spearfishing charters are available, but only a handful of local dive operators offer them.

Shore diving is possible, but lousy by comparison to boat diving. The reef lies 4-6 miles offshore (a rather tiresome surface swim).

Dive safely, and enjoy!

Silent World Dive Center offers some great hotel packages from as cheap as $70/80 a night and up. We can also accomadate you with instruction and dive packages. Our boats hold a max of 14 divers and depart from Garden Cove.

First and foremost, find an operator that fits your needs and personality! :)

Enjoy the Keys and the great diving here!

Pat

HMS Minnow is a little six-pack, one man (Jeff Jarvis) operation. If you're wanting to do a class, he has instructors as well as guides that he calls on on an individual basis. Even though he gets divers out to the good sites before the cattle boats, he doesn't charge any more than the other operations. I would definitely recommend this guy, he's a class act.

Bluewater divers (KeyLargoBrent) runs a top notch business. You'd be happy with them for sure. Spearfishing is possible and I will take out charters, but PM me for more info.

Rachel

I usually fly into Ft. Lauderdale, flights are often cheaper and it is quite a bit smaller and not as hectic as Miami. Downside is that its 20 miles further north.

In Key Largo, the after dive entertainment is going to all the scuba stores in the area.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom