Operator that allow Sidemount diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkaterenchuk

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It has been a couple of years since I have been to Cozumel diving. I will be there in April for a week with a couple other divers. Although, I am a Technical Diver (Caves and CCR) the dives in Cozumel will be recreational following all the dive operator rules.

I will be staying at the Sunscape Sabor and wish to know which dive operators do not have any issues with diving in a sidemount configuration and can pick our group up at the Sunscape Sabor. I would be doing two tank dives each day. I will not need any additional tanks and the only difference is that the two tanks reserved for my dives that day will be strapped to my sides on each dive in normal sidemount style.

I am doing this not to increase any bottom time but rather to save luggage weight as I will be diving caves on the mainland the week before Cozumel and prefer not to bring a regular recreational BCD when it is not needed. It is also nice to have the redundancy that sidemount provides even on a recreational dive.

If you happen to be reading this request and you are an operator on Cozumel feel free to pm me details about your operation and prices for multi-day diving packages.

Regards, John

ScubaTony all the way ! Sidemount friendly, backroll off the sixpack, no problem, hand up your cylinders, then climb out. Perfect !

I would be surprised if anyone has an issue with it. The bigger issue you may face is the availability of DIN tanks, assuming that's what you use on your sidemount rig. They are available from Meridiano (the main fill station) but they charge a bit more for them. At least they charge me more :) Make sure the dive opporator knows you need them and won't have an issue getting them for you. Not all the shops here own their own tanks or have DIN readily available. I have a few DIN/Yoke adapters which come in handy. If anyone did gave you grief about it, you could quickly reconfigure the reg to add an AAS and dive single tank sidemount. No one has ever questioned it though.

Is there really that many ops that would really care? I mean some of the cattleboats maybe, but who else would NOT accommodate you?

I do not know that is why I asked the question. It would be pretty silly if I booked a week of diving and showed up at the dock only to be told by the boat captain that he is unfamiliar with sidemount gear and I cannot dive. Then I would be upset and come back here and post about my bad experience with that operator. Only to have you or some other more knowledgeable poster here reply asking why I did not check first and did I not realize that the vast majority of divers in Cozumel dive with a BCD and single tank and have never heard of sidemount.

John

---------- Post added January 7th, 2014 at 07:58 AM ----------

I would be surprised if anyone has an issue with it. The bigger issue you may face is the availability of DIN tanks, assuming that's what you use on your sidemount rig. They are available from Meridiano (the main fill station) but they charge a bit more for them. At least they charge me more :) Make sure the dive opporator knows you need them and won't have an issue getting them for you. Not all the shops here own their own tanks or have DIN readily available. I have a few DIN/Yoke adapters which come in handy. If anyone did gave you grief about it, you could quickly reconfigure the reg to add an AAS and dive single tank sidemount. No one has ever questioned it though.

Thanks for the info on DIN. I can bring adapters if needed but would rather leave those dead weights at home. So I will confirm DIN tank availability with the operator.

John

Why limit your choices with DIN cylinders? Just set up your rig for yoke al80's and have at it.

Sorry, John, if I sounded snarky about it. I guess my thinking was it is unusual to see (except on pics of Atkins there...) so I doubt alot specific answers could be given about specific ops. Like once I saw a guy diving with that on so and so's boat. It isn't like asking do they have 120 steel or something. On the other hand, it seemed to me to be like who would really care? It seemed it would be better to choose your op on other criteria and then make sure they don't have a problem with your setup. Otherwise, you are judging on a criteria that doesn't really differentiate.

Or you could just try to dive with Atkins, so you don't look like the only oddball... :)

Why limit your choices with DIN cylinders? Just set up your rig for yoke al80's and have at it.

I won't limit the decision to only DIN but will take it into consideration. Along with the pros and cons of AL80 vs Steel Tanks for Sidemount.

I am primarily concerned with finding a operator that has agreed in advance that sidemount is OK. Can pick the group up at the Sabor pier. Does not make more experienced divers cut their dives short due to other customers with high SAC/RMV's. Charges a fair price compared to the rest of the market.

John

It seems like the best idea would be to identify the ops you are interested and email to ask.
I contacted numerous ops when I was trying to settle on one, and all answered their emails promptly and addressed my specific questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom