"Open Water" The Movie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kennyscot

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My daughter and I were discussing what we thought happened that caused the movie ..."Open Water". Does anybody know the "TRUE" story and the real facts behind this mostly fictional account? What really happened??

Just trying to get to the truth

Thanks.........

A very highly fictionalized story as no one but the two lost divers and the "Great Powers to Be" will every really know.

Kennyscot:
My daughter and I were discussing what we thought happened that caused the movie ..."Open Water". Does anybody know the "TRUE" story and the real facts behind this mostly fictional account? What really happened??

Just trying to get to the truth

Thanks.........

You can read something here, although I don't have any idea if it's accurate or not:

Apparently the evidence does not suggest they they fell victim to shark attack. All that stuff was added because the "real" story wouldn't have sold very well.....

R..
P.S. The link doesn't work. Apparently the scubaboard people don't like the C D N N people

Here's the link spelled out. You'll need to remove the extra spaces.

http://w w w . c d n n . i n f o/news/article/a040723.html

Yeah, but you've got to avoid the crunchy things on the back. Gives ya the farts something terrible.
Fish_Whisperer:
Mmmmmmm.... Tasty humans! "Stay crunchy in milk!" :D

Man I hate that movie...

Shortly after my wife and I finished getting certified, my mother saw that movie in the local rental store and watched it... and proceeded to call me at 2 AM (after having just finished watching it) and in general freak'n out about it.

It took me 6 months to calm her down!

My wife and I watched it the night before she did her open water cert dives. That may have been a mistake. I thought it was a lousy movie to put it mildly. It is based on a true story.

I still need to see this movie. I've been in the water in both Cairns and the Bahamas, and I still can't imagine how freaky it would be to get left behind in the middle of the ocean.

As bad as the movie may be, I think the important take-aways are to ensure that when you dive from a large boat, make sure they have a reliable roll call system (and not just an "in the water headcount"), and don't slip off the boat by yourselves after the main group has already gone down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom