Open water delay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
I finished my pool sessions, spent at least three hours training with various DPVs and then came down with the flu.

When I was well enough to go back for drysuit training I called my LDS and got the normal voice mail. I left a message.

I left another a few days later, then I discovered from a friend that there was no one working the dive shop and they were closed.

Well, it's been about a month and still no returned phone calls or e-mails. Looks like the LDS I've been going to is no more. I'll have to go elsewhere to finish my training, and I expect I'll have to pay at least some training fee.

There's a LDS not too far from my apartment but the building isn't accessible. There's supposed to be an LDS southeast of the one I was going to. I'll probably swing by on my way to a friend's house on Saturday. I checked the address of a third LDS in my area only to discover that if it had still been there I wouldn't have even gotten out of my van. The address led me to a very run down strip mall that looked like a junkyard for stripped cars.

Another problem is that I had a first and second stage, and an octopus in the shop waiting for me to purchase an SPG and now I can't seem to get ahold of anyone to get that stuff back.

WOW!

That really Su*ks man. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. I hope you get it figured and worked out soon.

Where are you located again? I might know some people in your area or nearby who might be able to help out in some way or another. The club I recently joined, seems to have people all over the place even though they are centered around Lake Oswego. Oregon.

Never Mind, just checked your profile, you're in Vancouver. I know at least one person there in Vancouver. Of course you know that Portland is just accross there river, and theres at least 5-10 shops there don't you? If you'd like I could send an e-mail to our clubs list server (or even PM you a link to joining it yourself if you'd like) asking if anyone knows anything about that shop, and or anywhere else you could go. Theres even at least 1 instructor in the club.

what legal routes do you have....consumer protection office...and the like...

dont know about canada...but here all bankruptcies and foreclosures and the like are public knowledge and info can be found at the court house...give her a try

RICHinNC once bubbled...
...dont know about canada...

Actually, I think he's in Vancouver, Washington, USA, right on the border with Oregon... :D

Puts you in a tough spot! I would be concerned first with getting my gear back: if the shop is closed, then the phone bill and the rent will be coming due soon, and before the locks are changed the previous owner is likely to make a midnight run with a UHaul and fade into the darkness with whatever isn't nailed down. (That's a broad, sweeping, cynical generalization on my part, admittedly, and I hope it's not true in your case.)

Possible to call the landlord for the building, explain the situation, and get your gear? If it was in for service then it is yours, title never passed, so there should be no question about who is the gear's owner or the validity of your claim on it.

Do the other dive shops in town know what has become of the owners? You'd think they'd have at least some idea. Whatever happens, seems like time is not on your side- consider moving quickly!

Hi Will:

I'll check to see if the place listed on 162nd. is actually there, then I guess I'll hit the Portland phone book.

You could e-mail me the instructions on joining the Oregon area list. That would be great.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
WOW!

Never Mind, just checked your profile, you're in Vancouver. I know at least one person there in Vancouver. Of course you know that Portland is just accross there river, and theres at least 5-10 shops there don't you? If you'd like I could send an e-mail to our clubs list server (or even PM you a link to joining it yourself if you'd like) asking if anyone knows anything about that shop, and or anywhere else you could go. Theres even at least 1 instructor in the club.

Good idea. I friend of mine could talk to his buddy at the dive shop in Salmon Creek. I don't know anyone there and can't get in the building.

It's likely that some of the patrons of the dive shop I went to know what's happened and have been at the Salmon Creek shop themselves.

The dive shop I was using was in the Health Experience, and the Health Experience is still open for business. I'll have to see if I can find a name or number.

DaveO once bubbled...
Possible to call the landlord for the building, explain the situation, and get your gear? If it was in for service then it is yours, title never passed, so there should be no question about who is the gear's owner or the validity of your claim on it.

Do the other dive shops in town know what has become of the owners? You'd think they'd have at least some idea. Whatever happens, seems like time is not on your side- consider moving quickly!

I'll dig through my stuff, but I don't think I've got his home number or an e-mail address.

His PADI number is in my log book though. But I don't know if I'll have any luck using that to find him.

Walter once bubbled...
Try to contact your instructor directly.

His PADI number is in my log book though. But I don't know if I'll have any luck using that to find him.

Although PADI will not give out member's telephone numbers or addresses, you can contact them to have THEM contact the Instructor with your request that he contact you directly.

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom