open water cert. reco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would *totally* recommend doing the training on vacation -- though it would be good to find a shop that will mail them the materials so they can do the book studies ahead of time.

yea, I know lots of driven people that wouldn't mind taking a class this easy on their honeymoon....some people don't enjoy relaxing that much.

MeiLing:
He'll be on his honeymoon. Not a time you want to spend doing a lot of classroom time. At the very least I would do all the pool/classroom stuff at home and then do the cert dives here.

I think this is the best time for him to test his new wife's tolerance for diving. A lot cheaper to fire her now than later if she doesn't like it.

If you do this, do the pool at home and the dives there...I am getting my girlfriend certified now and she loves it, but it's taking some time to get her used to it. The dives and pools and been spaced over weeks, and it's hard work. I don't want to push her, and I don't need to because there is no rush. If they feel rushed, and either one of them feels pressured into doing something they don't want to do it will end badly, TRUST ME. Plus, if either one drops out it would be a serious bummer hanging over the whole honeymoon.

"All that money, all that time we could have been together and now we can't even dive after all...." see what I mean? So, I agree with most everyone else that at the very least make sure they are both comfortable with the pool training BEFORE they go on the honeymoon or they should just snorkel. -tadd

I think the key point is that this will be their honeymoon versus a typical vacation.

As many have recommended, taking their classes and pool stuff here, then getting a referral, is the better option. They will get a taste of the diving experience and if one, or both, doesn't like it or can't finish, then it's not wasted time on the actual honeymoon. And also, going on a vacation and going straight in the water is a much better experience.

JMC99:
I think this is the best time for him to test his new wife's tolerance for diving. A lot cheaper to fire her now than later if she doesn't like it.

Obviously, your take on relationships is pretty warped!

MeiLing:
Obviously, your take on relationships is pretty warped!

When you post something with which I disagree, I'll post a rebuttal.

KrisB:
I don't fully understand the distaste of doing the cert course here. When I did mine (and it was what got me hooked), it was the cheapest way to do 6 dives... :)

Did you miss that this is their honeymoon? Or, are you single, etc and don't have a clue about that?

Even for folks that have been living together for a long time a honeymoon is a significantly big deal. It is not, and should not, be like a regular vacation. It is one of those, hopefully, once in a lifetime events that needs to be gotten right the first time. There are no retakes.

ArcticDiver:
Did you miss that this is their honeymoon? Or, are you single, etc and don't have a clue about that?

Even for folks that have been living together for a long time a honeymoon is a significantly big deal. It is not, and should not, be like a regular vacation. It is one of those, hopefully, once in a lifetime events that needs to be gotten right the first time. There are no retakes.
I did get that.

And I've taught students who have been here on their honeymoon, and the diving experience (*especially* when it's their first introduction) is an incredibly great experience for bonding as a couple.

Now, I would not recommend it if the book work couldn't be done ahead of time -- but that should be able to be mailed and completed before their trip.

Keep in mind -- the couple WANTS TO DO THIS. It is not our job to tell them they shouldn't learn to dive on their honeymoon.

KrisB... Keep in mind -- the couple WANTS TO DO THIS. It is not our job to tell them they shouldn't learn to dive on their honeymoon.[/QUOTE:
We don't know this.

In any event a good decision is an informed decision. All we know right now is that someone claiming to be their reprsentative is asking questions. We really don't "know".

I can't claim clairvoyance for other posts. But, for mine, the OP asked for recommendations. I gave mine. That is a lot different than telling them what to do. Even suggesting that any post on SB is telling someone what to do is a far stretch of ego and fact.

Ain't no one compelled to do anything that is posted on this Board, regardless of how it is phrased. Just information and recommendations.

catherine96821:
yea, I know lots of driven people that wouldn't mind taking a class this easy on their honeymoon....some people don't enjoy relaxing that much.
I dont enjoy relaxing very much.. Not in the common understanding of the word anyways. Infact I get bored out of my skull and need to DO something..

As a result of this, my take on "relaxing" is rather physical, unlike the people that can just lie on a sunbed for hours and do nothing..
Putting my skies on and taking a 20 km walk into the wilderness is something I can consider relaxing..

Back
Top Bottom