Open water + advanced in one go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, go for it----your instructors will love it......

It would be helpful to know what certification agency you are talking about. The asumption is always that one is looking at PADI courses and the consinsus is that PADI Open Water should include everything in AOW so you should take both. If you are talking NAUI, or other agencies< then it is a different anamal all together.

I think, from the reading I've done so far, that I'm going to choose NAUI, possibly with Alton's Dive Centre having read various recommendations and experiences.

If I was to complete the Open Water, and then just stay on after that doing more dives but not the Advanced course, (for about the same price there's 10 dive deals, although I'm not sure if that's guided or what), how different experience-wise would that be? At the moment I am very nervous of the idea of diving independently; but I haven't done it yet, that may well change!

I don't really know yet what I want to get out of it; at the moment it's about not passing up the chance to learn a new skill, the wildlife aspect really appeals, as does the idea of exploring wrecks.

I was lazy and waited until I had around 140 dives before I got my AOW and the only reason I did that was I needed it for Dive Master.

:shakehead:

What is the general opinion on taking the open water and advanced open water in one go (over a week-10 days or so?). Is it acceptable or is it preferable to just do the open water, then dive a a bit at that level before taking it further?

Forget doing AOW right after OW...

I'm more concerned about you wanting to do OW in 7-10 days!

:shocked2:

I'm more concerned about you wanting to do OW in 7-10 days!:shocked2:

So why is this a concern? Could someone not do an OW course over a 10 day period?

You mention your desire to dive when you're in Central America.....do you plan on diving back home in the UK?

If that's a possibility I would suggest you take your OW course at home before heading off to the nice clear, warm water you'll encounter on holidays. Get some dives in and then do your AOW at home too. You'll really enjoy the warm water diving but will acquire a taste/comfort level for colder water, heavier exposure protection etc.

I'm not planning on spending that much time in the UK over the next few years....I have big travel/working abroad plans, this trip is a bit of a trial-run of being away from the UK for an extended period. If I enjoy scuba as much as I think I will, I would look to dive on travels around the world.

The reason against starting scuba here first is mainly cost (the cost of doing an open water locally, with drysuit, is almost twice the price of a week in Utila with accomodation) but also time/practicality, at the moment I'm in pre-trip saving mode working as much as I can, sometimes 6.5 days a week, and also am not in one place but work away a lot. On my trip, I will have no time constraints at all - just as long as my savings last me.

If you're trying to save money, I would just do dives rather than extra classes. Just chartering dives should be less expensive than taking the classes.

You would need to ask, but most tropical dive operators have a dive master guiding dives. Also, as you will learn, diving should be done with a buddy. Most divers are never alone in the water, but there may or may not be a paid guide.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. If you just want the cards, go ahead. If you want to get a better education, look for the best open water class you can find. I've posted some tips on how to find such a class here. At that point, get some experience diving, about 20 - 25 dives, then take an advanced class that's more than 5 or 6 experience dives.
Pixiefish,

This is the best advice you can get on this subject. The problem with doing advanced right after your OW is that you reaaly dont get the hang of bouyancy untill 20-25 dives. If you dont have bouyancy down, you will have problems during advanced dives. I'm not saying that you wont be a natural and have great bouyancy right after your OW class, but it is very unlikely.

Get your OW, and dive dive dive.......wait a little while before AOW.

cool thanks guys :cool2: just to clarify, I'm not wanting to speed through this for the sake of it, but as the dive shop were offering it I wasn't sure if it was a done thing or not.

cool thanks guys :cool2: just to clarify, I'm not wanting to speed through this for the sake of it, but as the dive shop were offering it I wasn't sure if it was a done thing or not.
Just because it's done doesnt make it right.
Some shops claim they can take you from guppy to instructor in 3 weeks, but they arent looking out for you, they are looking out for their pockets. I hope you have a great vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom