Open Source Instruction for Entry Level Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am concerned that scuba training is becoming more and more dry. Or I could say watered down. I have taught at the university level in the class room and on line. There is no comparison between the two. The interaction, conversation, and contribution in face to face instruction is far superior to on line learning, if you have a competent and interesting instructor. Anecdotal illustrations and application of material to real world experiences is lost on line. So is a bonding between students, and between student and instructor. We don't need another agency, we need better quality of instruction. In scuba, as in many other areas of education, I happen to think that a giant step backward, about 10 years or so, would be a great idea. That's just my opinion, but also my experience. AM I alone in this?
DivemasterDennis

Please get over yourself. The whole "ridiculed and spit on and untrained, uncertified scum of the earth" is tiresome and removes some of your credibility. If you can't see that you have the general support of some of the most outstanding instructors on the board, and the interest of some of the rest of us, then this is merely an exercise in how much attention can you get, and not at all about changing the industry.

Slow down and pay attention to some of the folks asking questions. As a dive charter operator, my insurance requires me to see a card issued by an accredited agency. Accreditation comes from RSTC. Have you approached them for inclusion, or are you more interested in saying "poor me"? I don't have time before a boat trip to take a diver without an accredited c-card and give him a checkout in the water. Yes, I've had royal navy divers show up at my resort too. After evaluation, they got a certification card issued to them. Problem solved, they dove better than me, and they had a card from an accredited agency.

No one here (so far) has crapped on your idea. I find it intriguing, and would like to see more development. However, if you keep up the whole "commercial diver whine" and tell us all how much we hate you and your students and will spit on you, then I have no time for you. I'm going to keep my eye on this thread for developments. I hope you change your attitude a little and see that no one is crapping on you. I wish you luck in getting the industry to change. Someone needs to.

There is one huge disadvantage for our students. They will be ridiculed and spit on by all the major agencies and not have their cards accepted anywhere. Here are some advantages. Volunteers can get free scuba including the open water dives and equipment or have their costs very low. No limit to the pool time for instruction. Multiple points of view on what you should know taken from all over the world. A course that includes free options such as swimming improvement, lifegarding, rescue, FA, CPR, sailing and much more for no additional cost. A course not motivated by the money that the agency or instructor can earn but a course motivated by education.

Sounds great, but it begs the question ... who's paying for all of that?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I certainly agree, competition has always been the best thing for the consumer. I don't know if you ever took the original YMCA scuba course, but it was a great course! The YMCA of course no longer teaches scuba and if you dig, you will see courses such as "scuba bronze" that we will never see again. McDonalds is the biggest restaurant chain, but do they have the best food or chefs?

What used to be YScuba is now SEI ... they teach essentially the same curriculum they always did. Look up Jim Lapenta here on ScubaBoard ... he teaches those classes.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sorry about that, its just like when I teach, students are never confused before the class it is only when the the instructor opens their mouth that the confusion starts.

Yes of course, and the reason why we have always done a good buddy check, quiz, evaluation and check-out dive with anyone coming to any of the resorts that I have worked at is that a card is just a card, dosn't matter who issued it.

I have not actually been spit on. This is simply a description for the knee-jerk reaction to me being the guy who will be printing out cards in his basement. I used to always point my finger at this guy, then realized that agency affiliation has nothing to do with what that diver actually knows and can do.

I am glad to hear that the great programs the YMCA have not completely died out. Did you know that at one time the major agencies used to require divemasters actually have a valid lifesaving certification? The first time an instructor sees a student is during the swim test. It is not a diver rescuing diver situation.

If it were not for the other agencies banding together to seek ANSI standards through the RTSC, one of the big guys would have deleted their course to ridiculous shortness in the name of profits. Competition is good.

We train a lot of college kids that are somewhat naive and think scuba diving will be an easy college credit. They tend to work together on the take home knowledge reviews and come to the classroom portion completely unprepared (and usually fail because of it). If this were being done online, when they show up at the pool to dive, how do you verify that they know the material?

how do you certify your instructors?

i.e. What qualifies an instructor to teach for your agency?

Back
Top Bottom