Open Letter to jetblast00 was "Since the Seeker has been..."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Udo_NYC

Reaction score
Someone informed me about your post about me on this forum. Unfortunately I wasn't able to subscribe to this forum until now.

Dear jetblast00;

Your are claiming that you know me "socially" and that we took the DIR-F class at the same time last winter (you were in the second group of which we heard from that, except for Bill, your guys' performance was really far below standard.) I may have seen you, but I have no idea who you are.

If you really would know me socially, you wouldn't make the statements about me the way you did. It is quite obvious to me that you have your information about me from the diveshop owner who co-organized that class after I brought it to him.
Fact is, that this particular gentleman, although a friend, has a personal disagreement with GUE's training director, which is based solely on a financial issue, and caused IMHO by a
misunderstanding on HIS end.

This resulted in a vendetta, lead by this diveshop owner against
anything GUE/DIR and calls anybody who is not agreeing with this
diveshop owners NEW opinion about GUE/DIR: brainwashed, cultmember, puppet and groupie. You may have heard this yourself when he is referring to anybody who is not joining his anti-GUE battle.

Now, regarding the post that ended up on this list:

A few days before that post in question, I had one of many conversations with that dive-shop owner and had to listen as usual how GUE is burning "all the bridges" and NO-ONE in the tri-state areal will accept the GUE card for Trimix fills and the ONLY boat that still lets GUE certified divers on board is the Wahoo.

THAT discussion made me curious if the diveshop owner says the truth or exaggerates the situation. Hence I started two surveys one regarding local trimix fill stations and local diveboats listed on the Eastern Dive Boat Association's website.

The Seeker was only ONE of the boats I was contacting via email, do YOU understand that?

I posted the results of that survey, including the text of the email I was sending to the diveboats on the Quest list. The original post
contained the responses of several other captains, who were not at all responding in a manner I should have expected according to that diveshop owner's statement.

Danny Crowell of the Seeker obviously and knowingly "bent the truth" on several points (insurance, accredidations, fraudulent actions of GUE), which is NOT my fault and not a "ranting" on my side. Especially since I am quite open for "other" divestyles. BTW, "DIR-Evangelist"? I believe in that system, but I am diving long enough to be more liberal for regular systems, but have often problems to fathom why ESPECIALLY seasoned divers don't see the simplicity and pragmatics approach in that system. I beliveve that for the dives I AM GOING TO DO, the strategies taught by GUE are the best for me and my team.

You said that Danny Crowell just wants to protect his a$$... well, that's B.S. He did let GUE certified divers and instructors dive off his boat. The interest he had with his post is to discredit the training level of GUE divers, scare the hell out of my dive team and go to him to pay big bucks to get Hydronautics divers "re-evaluated" and train NEW divers. That is monetary interest, not to "protect" himself, but to "line his pockets".

George Irvine forwarded my post from the Quest List to Techdiver
and from there it spread out. Obviously cut and that way it ended up on this forum. SeaGypsy crossposted only the "Seeker portion", obviously as an addition you guys had about the Seeker on this forum before.

Lastly, regarding your post of me "ever leaving Dutch Springs and go out on a boat in the ocean", that's so much that diveshop owners stupid argument which is blinded by his emotional attachement to the argument:

I started SCUBA in 1975 with a 10 liter steel tank, plastic backplate and an old Mistral doublehose regulator in Spain. Then I became a member of a sport-divers club under the CMAS umbrella in the city I grew up and became part of the Fenzy-Crowd (if you don't know what the Fenzy was, look it up). Since certification wasn't mandatory in Europe, as long as you are a member of a club, I didn't get certified until 1978 and was member of the youth demo team for SCUBA in 1979. (BTW, the current president of this club still remembers me and was team member as well!)

Since then I accumulated roughly 2,500 dives (probably more and I don't really care), despite a several years break from diving, That was caused through my job and relocation to NYC. Maybe 70 or 80 of those were done in Dutch Springs. I like Dutch for testing new gear, which I accumulated for a while now, and going out there with my wife, who is a new diver and I want her to get more comfortable in the water.

You should know that of course, since you know me socially so well.

As "old friends" you may also be interested to know that, besides being the president of Hydronautics - Diving for Science and Adventure, Inc. I also became the Director of Marine Archaeological Studies of the New York Institute of Anthropology.

To other listmembers: No, I did not inquire for Doria dives. I inquired because researchdivers and myself of the Hydronautics team are in the process of obtaining the GUE Tech certification for deeper projects we are conducting for universities and colleges or other research facilities. Hence we are preparing us for those tasks at hand with, what we believe the best training for our purpose. In the wake of organizing the classes for us, we also facilitate the opportunity to interested divers to take advantage of the time the training director is locally available.

We will have continuously to get some of our new divers into (at least) the Fundamentals class, a requirement for our research divers and will start to work with Bob Sherwood more closely for "local training".

If you or anybody else would like to email me privately regarding any issues raised in this post you can do so at udo@hydronautics.org.

Best regards;

Udo Rotmistrenko

Although we don't know each other socially or otherwise...

Welcome to Scubaboard!!!

We hope to hear more about your orginization and what you are planning to do. Sounds exciting!

NetDoc once bubbled...
Although we don't know each other socially or otherwise...

Welcome to Scubaboard!!!

We hope to hear more about your orginization and what you are planning to do. Sounds exciting!

Hello Pete;

Thank you very much for your welcome note.

Well, Hydronautics is basically a grass-root project that dives for scientific institutions for free. The criteria is that we must like the project and we must be able to do it primarily on the weekend, since we all have daytime jobs and we want to be able to put the project up on our website.

Grass root, because we are planning to get funding out of an annual membership fees, fees for researchdivers and corporate sponsors.

At the present time, it is fully funded by me via my Wall Street based company and the soon with contributions of the founding board members.

Although we started it a year ago, I had no time yet to get a new, updated fully functional website going in which people can purchase underwater related books, VHS and DVD's from or signing up as members.

One of the reasons is that I have been way too busy with my other company, that I couldn't get the legal paperwork together, but hope that this will be done soon.

The current project we are working on is called the "Muddy Waters" project, since we are aiding the New York Institute of Anthropology in underwater excavation of Paleo-Indian artifcacts that are between 4 to 12,000 years old.

From a diving point of view, this is not SPECTACULAR, because it is not deep only 5 to 20 fsw, but we are dealing with partially contaminated water, strong tidalcurrents and blackwater conditions. However, it is something that we like, because it is "diving with a purpose" and actually helps local science.

On the other hand, we are in contact with various colleges and universities in the tri-state area around New York City and offering them the same deal. This way, a grad-student in anthropology, or marine sciences or whatever the choice of studies is can introduce to us a certain task that needs to be done, and we do it.

The idea is, that considering the nationwide cuts in funding for education, certain projects are impossible because to cost intensive, they have timeconstraints and are not able to send their students or scientist to obtain training, expensive gear. Even if they could, you can't buy experience as well.

That's were we are coming in.

We are also in the process of obtaining the NOAA-Scientific Diver certification.

So, at this time, we are still in the built up phase, and the Muddy Waters project is an excellent first project.

We want to keep our site as "non-DIR" as possible, because we are acknowledging other "dive-styles" and we are absolutely not interested in that really boring and destructive discussion about it.

Although that is the way we dive and train for, and our research divers have to go at least through the DIR-Fundamentals training as well as obtaining NOAA cert., we are considering the reason for the existense of Hydronautics as paramount: "Diving for Science" and there is no place for controversy about diving philosophies.

We support colleges and universities and we need the support of ALL members of the diving and non-diving communities, because we have a mission and our dive style is just a means to get the task accomplished in the safest way possible.

Our "outdated" website is at http://www.hydronautics.org.

Well, Pete, I hope that was enough information. If you or anybody else has more questions, please feel free to post.

All the best

Udo

Thanks for sharing that information. It sounds like you have a good organization going and I wish you the best with it.

I hope you hang around and contribute to the discussions on the board.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
Thanks for sharing that information. It sounds like you have a good organization going and I wish you the best with it.

I hope you hang around and contribute to the discussions on the board.

Chad

Ditto for me.....

Udo,
You are quite right to be upset, you felt attacked. I wasn't attacking, I was explaining facts as I see them.

You ARE a DIR-evangelist, but *I* believe that you are using it only as a means to create publicty for/about yourself and your hydronotics club. You want the attention. This is the same reason you occasionaly post regurgitations of GUE publications over on Techdiver. Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not commenting on the content itself; I'm just saying that people can go read it themselves, they don't need you to retype it to them and then put your name on the bottom. (Re: your last post there concerning nutrition and diet)

Every time you see below mentioned dive shop owner, you explain to him that you personaly want to make things right between him and GUE. YOU want to be known as having made it right. More publicity.

I am glad that you have been scuba diving for 27 years, that's longer than me, hell, that's before I was even born. Doesn't mean anything online, it's gotta show in the water - see 3 paragraphs below. And yes, everyone in that second (and first, from what *I* heard) DIRF class did do poorly, everyone in every DIRF class does in theory. By poorly, I mean that my skill set at the time was well below what I was shown it could be at. I also think that I did great by recognizing those differences and responding to them. I guess everything is realative, especialy perspective... BTW, I heard that none of you passed Tech1 last week, and that some of you didn't even make it out of the quarry and into the ocean in the class.

As for knowing you socially: No, we're not best buds, but I would say hello to you if I saw you around, that's what I consider "social". How would you know who I am, I never put my name on this board, and won't. Whole internet voodoo thing... Ask said shop owner who I am... If I see you, I'll tell you. Don't worry, I'm not going to hide behind a keyboard. I'm not saying things to be mean or insulting. I just responded to something I felt I had more of a perspective on than others reading your email/post in the forum I read it in. I very well may be wrong about you, but this really is the way you come accross to people who meet you: a quest for personal glory.

You had an axe to grind over this issue, and you were doing just that, grinding it. I don't have any axe to grind. I don't feel one way or another about this agency pissing match that goes on. Or about you, or your club, or said dive shop owner's beef with GUE.

As for your GUE trained founding hydronautic dive members: Well I was with one last weekend when the Jeanne-II went out for an easy 90' dive. (you know, the morning you didn't show up on the boat... too bad, we could have discussed this in person.) Well, even if anyone who had been listening to him all day hadn't rolled thier eyes at least twice from the things he was saying, then they would have seen his skill level when he simply tried to get back on the boat. First thing he did when he surfaced was put his mask on backwards. Then he got to the ladder and tried to take his fins off. Well, I guess he had to let go of the ladder in order to put his reg back in his mouth because he was doing barrell rolls with his head below water most of the time on the surface trying to get those damn spring straps around his heel. Mask still on backwards. By the time he did get them off, he had drifted a good 10-15 ft away from the ladder, with no fins on... But man, he sure did look cool when he finaly made it back to the ladder and got back onto the boat with his mask on backwards... btw, what did he need a deco bottle for on a 90' dive?

Have you ever drove out to the Seeker to talk to Capt. Dan about this? You obviously feel strongly enough about his position to warrant a face to face conversation. Maybe I've taken you out of context, maybe you've taken him out of context. I have no reason or place to defend/explain Dan Crowell, so I won't. But, the Seeker is one of my favorite boats to dive off of, and my quick conversations with Dan Crowell have found him to be a very different person than the one whom your email paints a picture of.

Dutch Springs is a great place to try new gear out. I've been there a couple of times this season with new gear. I was even there this past Sunday just putting in time with scooters. Difference is that I was putting in some time with a scooter because I plan to do a scooter dive this coming monday on The Algol. From what I've heard (yes, from said dive shop owner, but others as well) is that you guys train in Dutch Springs so that you can go back to Dutch Springs...

I have one question that I would like answered in a list form. What, besides this 15' look for arrow heads puddle project, have you or your club done? Not what you plan to do or hope to do, what have you DONE? You want to toot your horn, here's your chance.

This is the last time I will comment to this or any other replies in this thread no matter how much you may begin to flame me. You had the right to issue an open letter, and I have responded. I will not get into a pissing match with you or anyone else online that serves only the argument itself, and that I where I think this thread is headed (if it's not there already...)

-Jet

Udo_NYC once bubbled...
Someone informed me about your post about me on this forum.

Jetster.... here you've been a member of this board since February and I only now I find that you and Udo are an item...

But say.... why don't you two take this lover's spat inside, behind closed doors.... and spare the rest of the neighborhood your personal problems...

That is what we have PMs for... or if you prefer - take it back to the old neighborhood...

~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, OK... move along folks, nothing to see here.... move along...

Just when it was getting interesting and the mud was flowing so wellllllllllll..............................

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Jetster.... here you've been a member of this board since February and I only now I find that you and Udo are an item...

But say.... why don't you two take this lover's spat inside, behind closed doors.... and spare the rest of the neighborhood your personal problems...

That is what we have PMs for... or if you prefer - take it back to the old neighborhood...

~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, OK... move along folks, nothing to see here.... move along...
=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom