Open letter to boat dive masters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people like having their gear checked and some don't. I'm in the latter group, and I would think anyone who's done some solo diving would be too. The staff should be taught to ask before touching someone gear.

As far as the Vindicator and XS Scuba safety valve, all my tanks have that, and all the new XS Scuba HP tanks come with it. It's a great safety feature.

Coming back up with??? Why would anyone climb back aboard and waste perfectly good air? BTW, does anyone know of an SPG that also reads vacuum levels? :wink:

Yeah ... reserves are overrated. After all, nothing ever goes wrong in scuba diving ... and if your buddy should ever need air, well ... that's his problem ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Open letter to a dive master.

I envy you the ability to chase your dream and make no money. My time for that has passed. While I am at the tiki bar you will be cleaning the boat or herding the next group of cats, for that I am sorry. If you want to mess with my gear, or ask me questions about it, I will gladly answer and will not crab a$$ about it. I allways tip the crew and capt. That policy has served me well over the years and gets me seats on trips that are advertised as full. All this worry about about valves open or closed... Should we not try to teach everyone that reaching your valve, even on a single tank MAY be important? In any event I have a checklist for getting into the water simmilar to a rebreather diver, even though I am on oc. How many people know how many breaths they get out of their long hose and thier back up? I do. So if a DM or deck hand prompts an impromptu valve drill at 10 fsw... I prolly needed the excersise anyway. No big deal.

In closing, good on you and resist a mortgage and the rest of lifes trappings as long as you can.
Eric

Yeah ... reserves are overrated. After all, nothing ever goes wrong in scuba diving ... and if your buddy should ever need air, well ... that's his problem ...

Buddy??? Have you forgotten who you are talking to? (inside joke, solo diver here). If anyone who happens to be around me needs gas, no problem… as long as they can buddy-breathe. I assume everything will go wrong and (usually) carry redundant supplies when deeper than I am comfortable making a free ascent. Who me, old school???

I'm fine with touching my valves if you must, but then again, if we're going in negative manifolded LP95s - not so much.

One technique I really like is before CCR dives when the DM asks you, "Have you completed a full Pre-Breathe". If you're a even a little lax in your preparation activities it certainly would make you feel guilty. I can hear Jill's voice, "Checklists......."

I appreciate a good DM. I am moderately experienced with about 700 dives. I don't remember the last time I forgot to turn on my air but it has happened. I have tried to stand up only to have the bungie pull me back to earth. The DM has gracefully released me from bondage. I forgot my weight a couple years ago and the DM unbegrudgingly handed me down 8 pounds so that I could be on my way. I haven't forgotten my fins but they have been across the boat and the DM has fetched them for me. I tried to giant stride off the boat once without my mask but the DM insisted I wear it in the water. As I said, I appreciate a good DM. I'm not perfect, sometimes I need a little help and am thankful to receive it from a competent individual.

Checking air? Of course, we all forget things every now and then, nobody is perfect with this. Touching my gear or re-arranging it? No way. I do appreciate and will listen to any suggestions, just please don't go about moving stuff around without asking first.

Definition of Problem
Some divers appreciate having their valves checked, others hate it, and there have been DMs that have mistakenly closed the valve. Boat operators have liability and personal responsibility concerns and some divers have justifiable trust issues.

Proposed Improvement:
Since jumping overboard with a closed valve is only a small part of the actual problem, let’s critique the following to see if it works for everyone and can be refined:

1. Divers are requested to show their SPG to the DM and breathe from the regulator until the DM is satisfied that the cylinder valve is open AND the entire breathing system is functioning properly.
  2. I don’t think anyone would object to the DM listening for leaks and looking for gear problems. If a concern is identified, the DM will always discuss them with the diver and never change anything without asking. Comment: It may slow the parade but IMHO beats the alternative.
  3. Testing the BC supply to verify operation may also be requested.
  4. Divers will be advised of this procedure on the pre-dive briefing so they can choose to postpone them before the “witnessed” test in order to save gas.
  5. Briefings “should be” concluded by asking for questions and special requests.
  6. SPG pressure can be recorded at the option of the DM and/or boat operator on leaving and returning as a backup to their “everybody onboard roll call”.
  7. Vindicator valve handwheels are desirable (not required), especially on cylinders provided by the boat.

Add to this list my own personal pet peeve: Cylinders supplied by the boat should be convertible between DIN and Yoke… but I kind’a like the hot babes for DMs idea too.

Yeah yeah I know, men are such pigs. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom