Open heel vs full foot? Mares Avanti Superchannel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiReaNG3L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking to buy my first fins - what are the pro's of full foot vs open heel? Instinctively open heel sounds better, but in the latest ScubaLabs fin review, the Mares Avanti Superchannel full foot performed better than the open-heel version while being cheaper.

Any disadvantages of full foot fins should be aware of? During my OW course using cheap full foot fins I developed blisters on most of my toes, so I was looking to use dive boots next time - I don't think I can wear dive boots with full foot fins isn't it?

Thanks for the tips!

Full foot fins are used for boat warm water diving. If you are planning to do any shore or cold water, then boots are preferred. You may wear neoprene socks with full foots (just remember to wear one when you are trying on the fin) in order to avoid blisters. If you are looking at full foot fins, consider the Mares Quattro Power Full Long Blade Fins, a lot more powerful than the Avanti Superchannel, best fins that i ever had.

Like mentioned above, if you are diving warm water and don't need booties for some reason I think full foot are the way to go. They are definitely more efficient than open heel. (most of the tests confirm this) I also agree with the Quattro Power fins. They are not easy to find but they are great fins. Bigger than most full foot fins but shorter than freedive longblades.

If you fill out your profile more, people may be able to give you better advice based on location and equipment.

I can use up to a 4mm sock (Argos Extreme) or thin sole bootie (Techna Zip) with my Mares Plana Avanti full foot. I also use Apollo Bio Uni. Pacific Ocean 46-52F.

For SCUBA though carrying a lot of weight and for hiking/walking on rocks, a tennis shoe type sole may be better for the bootie which will only fit an open heel.

The open heel will last longer than the full foot. The full foot pocket will tear easier where the open heel just replace the strap. Power transfer is better on full foot - extension of foot versus open heel.

If buying a full foot with a thin sock/bootie initially because it's cheaper, they may not last a year for SCUBA. They can be used for snorkeling and freediving later. For SCUBA diving, the open heel is the way to go in the long run.

10% discount, $10GC/10post, Free S&H = Killer Price
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Fins.asp

Back
Top Bottom