Open heel or full foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizto

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi to all; what do you think will be best to scuba in Mexico, (I live here and almost all of my diving will be in Mexico or the Caribean), open heel or full foot fins? and what fin do you recomend? I´m 6'2" and my foot size is 12

regards.

Last edited:
As a diver you want open heel fins. I love my Oceanic Vipers although I have never used them in a warm water destination (I have only dove in NE).

I originally bought full foot twin jet fins. My assumption was I'd only dive in warm water. Turns out I REALLY LIKE DIVING! And I live in WI. SO that means I'll dive in colder water as well. So I bought a set of open heel fins and boots. Shoulda done that right off...

I also find them more comfortable and it's nice to have shoes for coming back onto the boat and beach.

Beside that, full-foot fins can make your feet hurt if they're not the right size...

You will get more use out of the open healed fins, both warm and cold water. Also having a wet suit boot on will feel better when walking on the deck of the boat or shore as the case may be. Good luck, enjoy diving in Mexico:D

Hrm...

I may be in the minority on this, but I bought full foot fins that fit my dive booties and I love them. No straps/buckles/etc to get caught in kelp, spear lines or other stuff. Nor do you run the risk of a broken strap. Not sure I buy the "as a diver you want open heel..." idea. May not be what they teach you in <insert certification org here>'s class but it sure works for me.

-Ben

Depends entirely on your needs/wants. My wife likes full footies. Hers are very light and flexible. I have stiff open heeled fins that are fine for me. If you do a lot of shore diving, you'll probably want open heeled; if you will be doing drysuit diving, they'll likely be required. If you will be doing warm water vacation diving, mostly from a boat, then full footies will be fine.

As a diver you want open heel fins. I love my Oceanic Vipers although I have never used them in a warm water destination (I have only dove in NE).

really.......let tell all the DM & instructors I know that have a minimum of 3000 dives each they are doing it all wrong................To the OP, either one will work, just fine.....IMO.......

The full foot fin is usually much cheaper to buy. Moreover, as benha said, the FF fins do not carry the unreliable and drag inducing hardware. As a result, the FF fin is safer; most are also faster with more thrust than OH fins and swimming on the surface is usually easier and more efficient but not always due to something called offset angle or blade angle. They are lighter and easier to pack. Many FF fins use the latest technology to better advantage without being stiff, heavy or clumsy. The FF fins clocked the fastest slalom times beating the highest performance OH fins, namely Biofin and Smoke. Scuba divers like OH fins for various reasons, their buddies use them, they are "technical" and stuff like that. But mainly, they like the adjustable feature although most divers probably only use one adjustment anyway, but when a giant foot pocket is needed the OH is the way to go. Many of the newer OH fins have rather short, wide pockets making them uncomfortable with some male divers. Also, it seems to impair performance. On the other hand, some of the OH's are too big for some women. As to fit, this is the crucial aspect of FF fins. The fins must fit snugly when the diver is wearing the preferred boot or sock. Once the right combination is selected it cannot be changed unless both are changed. I suggest you investigate several types and consider the options and arguments. If you decide on a FF fin look closely at the Mares Superchannel, the Caribe X, and Oceanic V-6. If you like the OH type, the Tusa Zoom, the Aeris Mako, Atomic Smoke and the Apollo Biofin are well regarded. The OH fin pushed heavily by shops is the Tusa Imprex.

I would never wear anything but full foots if I could. Good fitting full foots are like part of your body. Lots of tiny footed Japanese divers use booties in full foots.

Of course beach diving is a problem with them if you go without booties. But if I am without students and I don't have to worry about them (and it's not too rocky), I go full foot when beach diving (and drag my gear instead of wearing it on my back until it is deep enough.)

For all the talk about which fin is the most efficient, here's something to think about:

No one needs efficiency like breath hold divers, because the have to do all their swimming on one breath. And they all wear the same kind of fin: long bladed full foot fins. Which is what I wear. I freedive and simply cannot do it without the long bladed full foots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom