Question Open Cell Wetsuit Lubricant Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arkstorm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am considering going to an open cell two-piece wetsuit but I have a concern about traveling with wetsuit lubricant -- namely, what happens if the wetsuit lubricant, for whatever reason, does not make it, explodes in the suitcase, is lost, etc.

What is the backup plan if you are using an open cell neoprene wetsuit but don't have access to the lubricant?

Anyone with personal experience?

Thanks.

You are traveling on planet earth not the moon...shampoo, conditioner, body wash, baby shampoo and all sorts of other personal care products that could be used to ease donning an open cell wetsuit are easily and readily available all around the world...so much so that its probably not even worth the hassle to pack any for the exact reason in your post. Just purchase when you arrive at your destination.

-Z

Someone on this forum recommended wetsuit lubricant to me that is in powder form. Ideal for travel, assuming customs don't think it's cocaine! Otherwise, I buy Johnson's Baby Shampoo at my destination. It's pretty widely available. There is always something you can buy, hand soap, hair conditioner etc. Having said that, I get terrible skin reactions if I use anything other than the aforementioned products.

Those are all good thoughts.

Has anyone used anti fog spray such as is provided on most dive boats as a substitute for wetsuit lube?

I wonder if that would work?

Be careful. I used dishwashing liquid once and that didn't work out well for me. Back of my legs developed widespread painful, non-infective pustules which were quite painful and lasted days. I've had the same outcome, albeit less severe with hair shampoos and conditioners that weren't baby shampoo. There must be some really nasty stuff in those products!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom