Ontario Governing Body

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mglasspo once bubbled...

This is obviously a good idea gone astray. I agree that a BBB for diving is a good thing to have, in fact, I think we already have it. Doesn't both PADI and NAUI have facility ratings?

Yes I believe they do, however their standards vary between PADI , NAUI, ACUC, SSI, etc.. I think their standards are a good start, but we they are only a start.. more could be done to assure quality.

Dale

Hey Dale,

There already is a quality standards organization that works across the board for almost ALL industries, it's called ASQ ISO 9000:2000 it's a standard that measures the quality of an organization.

Perhaps divers should start asking their dive stores to become certified through them.

Just a thought.

ISO 9000, etc are excellent ideas, however I have been working for companies that have been going through their certifications in ISO 9000, etc and it takes a real long time, and alot of manhours. I don't think most stores have the resources. But it is a great idea.

Dale

I think ISO and BBB are both rat holes.

Both take your money and give you the secret handshake.

Have any of you every called the BBB and made a complaint.. about a company thats a member?

Like talking to the wall. :banging:

What, I wonder, is wrong with continuing to follow our professional standards?

We teach SSI, PADI and TDI, and between the three, training and safety procedures are mirrored.

Why?

International training standards are a complilation of global experience, not of locally layered regulation drafted by backroom 'crats which can serve (however innocently) to supercede established teaching standards.

Consider that each Instructor, each Charter Operator, each LDS and yes, each diver, should operate as the "governing body" on each dive.

Underwater it's up to us, not the governing body, to prevent or react to a situation. Write all the reg's you want, it happens underwater, not in the legislative chamber.

The real answer?

Continuing education. Don't stop training ... and that's not a sales pitch, it's a reality check.

... my 2 cents worth.

Safe Diving, y'all.

I think the main idea was a body of non bias consultants that have experience in developing and implementing generic and specialized industry standards.

There is too much variance in the interpretation of standards among operators within the dive industry. A good example of this is the need for air quality testing - some stores do it and others do not.

An organization put forth to assist in the interpretation of standards will improve the overall operation and delivery of services to the customers. After all the customers are the ones that keep this industry strong and viable.

This thread is supported by customers, the people that spend the money at the shops, if we are asking for a regulatory body to ensure high quality of safety and services....members of the industry had better tune in.

Back
Top Bottom